Why become a member? ×

Through body vs bridge made a difference

Twincam

Well for the first time there's been a difference in stringing through the body vs the bridge. I was surprised.

Got some eb cobalt flats the other day. Today was the first time I've had a good play on them. Couldn't get a good string balance in volume/tone. No matter what I did with the pickups, setup etc. The E especially and the A was louder and the e was weirdly over bassy, if you can have such a thing haha. This is on a Ibanez atk 400. 

So thought I would try stringing through the body. Got as far as the e and a and the volume balance is good and the tone is more even. The bass is now more equal. There is a clear difference. There has been no difference in sustain at all. Going to leave the other strings, I like the balance now.

Im wondering if it's due to the eb cobalt strings or the atk bridge as stringing through bridge is not actually through the bridge it's more ball slotted into the bass bridge plate. Anyhow it's the first time ever I've heard a difference at all. 

On another note I'm not sure I do like the cobalt flats now, but at 45 odd pound there staying on! Maybe they will improve. 

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Works for those particular strings on that particular bass, according to your tastes. That is all.

Twin Cam if you can hear a difference, that's cool. But I think generally amongst most strings and most basses the string through vs non string through is such a nuance thats its very hard to hear, and the audience certainly won't.  Same as High mass bridge vs non high mass bridge. The only reason I have (or like) an ABM high mass bridge is because of its full adjustability.. 

Interesting. Sometimes I used to find (when I had a jazz bass and used TI flats) the strings sounded weird when I re-string it after a clean. Often slacking them off, taking it off and putting it back in changed the sound. I assumed it was due to it not being seated properly or twisted perhaps. So it could be partly that too?

Leo Fender and the guys must have heard an improvement to the sound of his basses to decide that it was worth adding the extra time and expense to the build process.

I didn't noticed a difference when I tried through body stringing on my Lakland, but I don't discount it having an effect on the sound of some instruments.

Just now, chris_b said:

Leo Fender and the guys must have heard an improvement to the sound of his basses to decide that it was worth adding the extra time and expense to the build process.

I didn't noticed a difference when I tried through body stringing on my Lakland, but I don't discount it having an effect on the sound of some instruments.

OR it’s a marketing thing. Could be both. Could be neither. 

3 hours ago, Twincam said:

Well for the first time there's been a difference in stringing through the body vs the bridge. I was surprised.

Got some eb cobalt flats the other day. Today was the first time I've had a good play on them. Couldn't get a good string balance in volume/tone. No matter what I did with the pickups, setup etc. The E especially and the A was louder and the e was weirdly over bassy, if you can have such a thing haha. This is on a Ibanez atk 400. 

So thought I would try stringing through the body. Got as far as the e and a and the volume balance is good and the tone is more even. The bass is now more equal. There is a clear difference. There has been no difference in sustain at all. Going to leave the other strings, I like the balance now.

Im wondering if it's due to the eb cobalt strings or the atk bridge as stringing through bridge is not actually through the bridge it's more ball slotted into the bass bridge plate. Anyhow it's the first time ever I've heard a difference at all. 

On another note I'm not sure I do like the cobalt flats now, but at 45 odd pound there staying on! Maybe they will improve. 

I've only had one bass where I had the option. Sounded and felt quite different, and at the time I had no idea it was supposed to (or not). I preferred both NOT through body, FWIW.