Why become a member? ×

Hell Is Other People (who know you play in a band)

Monkey Steve

2 minutes ago, Japhet said:

My Father In Law used to say 'Get your guitar out and play us a tune'.

I almost forgot the "performing monkey" requests. 

Edited by oZZma

11 minutes ago, SICbass said:

There’s some good songs there. Not really my genre but well played and presented. Good luck 👍 

...is that you on the video for Natural Born Astronaut?

No mate, not me on any of the proper video releases. The newer live stuff I'm either on guitar and keys or bass, depending on the lineup. It's not the sort of genre I would generally be playing either but I've known them a long time and they're a pretty great live act, even if I do say so myself. We played to about 10k at Isle of Wight and 14k at a christmas show for Capital FM, but I'm looking forward to doing some properly big shows!

Edited by borntohang

52 minutes ago, SICbass said:

Fair play to you. Keep us all here informed once it kicks off. I’m sure loads of us would be interested (insanely jealous 😲) to hear what it’s like.

We'll be covering approx 6000 road miles in just over four weeks and there will be a huge amount of downtime apart from the twenty minutes a day we're onstage so I was planning to take a laptop and do some writing anyway, but I'll keep a gig diary of sorts on here if anyone would be interested in the more performance-related aspects of that kind of show. 

• Like 6

On 15/01/2019 at 12:45, borntohang said:

We'll be covering approx 6000 road miles in just over four weeks and there will be a huge amount of downtime apart from the twenty minutes a day we're onstage so I was planning to take a laptop and do some writing anyway, but I'll keep a gig diary of sorts on here if anyone would be interested in the more performance-related aspects of that kind of show. 

As mentioned, a bit poppy for me but the singer has an excellent voice and the song is memorable. Good luck with it and enjoy! 

I for one would be fascinated by a gig diary.....living life vicariously is, after all, living!  It will keep my spirits up when we're loading PA into the van behind the Dog and Duck at 1.00 am in the morning!

I don’t make a big thing of it, the music, I’m not a boaster. But occasionally I come up against the Pringle pullover brigade and can’t resist telling them I’ve played at Wentworth. When they all look suitably impressed I have to let it down and explain that it was with the band. They lose interest then.

• Haha 3

On 15/01/2019 at 12:45, borntohang said:

Let us know how you kill time between gigs. I find it the hardest part even a 2 or 3 gig mini tour over a weekend can be murder trying to find things to do during the day in a strange place. Not that i've done it very often to be honest. xD

Gig diary is always great fun to read on here so please share with us and wishing you all the very best with the tour sir.

Dave 

Edited by dmccombe7

On 15/01/2019 at 13:45, borntohang said:

Go easy on the photos and videos of the hookers and coke bowls, please. PM only for those; this is a family-friendly forum. :|

8 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I find it the hardest part even a 2 or 3 gig mini tour over a weekend can be murder trying to find things to do during the day in a strange place. Not that i've done it very often to be honest. xD

Indeed.

I tend to read, sleep, and spend too much time loitering in venues/bars drinking with bandmates watching the clock go really slow.

Sometimes I wish I had put a bicycle in the minibus, at least I could escape and explore... not that we ever go to places worth exploring much. Coventry? Nah... :D

Years ago I had a DVD of a concert of a metal band... I can't remember who they were, I think Firewind, but not sure. Among the extras, there was a little documentary about what the band does while on tour. It was very interesting as it was so not 'rockandroll'... One of the guitarists had a stack of movies burnt on DVD and he'd spend time by himself watching movies and on skype with his wife and young child... The singer would go into town to walk around and explore and if possible find a cinema to watch whatever (there was an anecdote where he forgot the time difference compared to the previous night and he was happily in the cinema, mobile phone off, while the band was getting ready to go on... and they actually started playing without him after a long delay, a long instrumental intro before the singer finally arrived in a hurry)... 

Booooring.

The things we do for those 2h onstage, eh?

The first 'rock star' that I ever met properly was the guitarist in Ten, during the UK leg of a European tour. I was in a group with a few others who knew him, and after the concert at a venue in Glasgow he joined us and had a few beers together. I loved all the stories, and it all sounded like such an exciting life... Until at one point he mentions that no, they are not even staying in a hotel... "did you see that bus? That's my room for the next couple of weeks". He could have rented a car and drive home in 3 and a half hours to spend the night with his family and it sounded very tempting... 

Touring... how boring.

I'd still do it though. But, my mini-tours of 3-4 days have always felt exhausting. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Let us know how you kill time between gigs. I find it the hardest part even a 2 or 3 gig mini tour over a weekend can be murder trying to find things to do during the day in a strange place. Not that i've done it very often to be honest. xD

Gig diary is always great fun to read on here so please share with us and wishing you all the very best with the tour sir.

Dave 

With the other team I usually play with it's art galleries, second-hand bookshops, vegan cafes, and early nights. With these guys I suspect it will be endless motorway miles, sushi, early morning radio interviews, and trying to cultivate inner peace because there certainly won't be any outer. Different strokes! We've got a week away in February that will be the main stress test run but we've already done a few mini tours and a bunch of festivals so I'm not expecting any nasty surprises. I'm just going to pick up a cheap laptop and a kindle so I can try and catch up on a bunch of reading.

• Like 2