Why become a member? ×

The Mighty Hammond Organ.

funkgod

22 hours ago, Jakester said:

Can't be any mention without JTQ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAdPFM3u5fM

great clip, gaz on bass there who is a member on here is an encyclopedia on the subject of hammond and funk he has a vast knowledge regarding the subject, in fact i think he has done more than his fair share of keeping that whole subject alive, and still does, i know he is working with jay the old great trombone player from jtq  a really nice guy ( his brother is dominic who played trumpet in jtq) on stuff to archive,  see jays site...http://www.vinylizor.com/

word is, an Acid jazz autobiog the story and history of is on the way :-)  im looking fwd to that.

the Perceptions.. and the sound stylistics  well worth checking out.

On 10/01/2019 at 14:01, ahpook said:

As a keyboard-playing friend of mine said. 'Hammond organs are the best instrument on the planet...for roadies to carry about'

Aye. I rented one twice before giving up.
Hammonds and staircases!
My admittedly light upright piano was a lot easier to carry around. I kid you not. One person carrying the weight and one person steering the top, we'd have it upstairs in no time.

• Like 1

I am also a huge organ fan (although my absolute favourite is the Farfisa Compact) the B3 is surely one of the most versatile instruments. I am lucky enough to be taking organ lessons soon, from an actual organist rather than a piano teacher thinking they are the same and I'll be learning on a pipe organ! Anyway I digress, one of my favourite Hammond tones has to be:

On 11/01/2019 at 06:59, BassTractor said:

A little shout out for a fellow student of mine, Carlo de Wijs.
Not the most interesting song, but it gives an impression about his sound:

I am digging Carlo a lot. I am going to buy his music now.

• Like 1

The Craig Charles Funk and Soul show on R6 Music usually has some grooving organ sounds.

Personaliy I'm a fan of Jonny Henderson who plays with the Matt Schofield band. 

I'm not sure if it's a Hammond he plays, but it sounds good to me.

He also does the bass for the band these days via pedals. A bit of a shame from a bass-player's point of view. But, given the level of gigs they play, one less member to pay probably makes the band more of a viable outfit.

On 10/01/2019 at 23:46, Skinnyman said:

Page two and no one has mentioned Thijs Van Leer?

My old band supported Focus a couple of years ago & witnessing them jamming at sound check was a thing of great joy, beautiful sound. Us three local band geezers just stood smiling, listening to the hammond/leslie combo. They are a lovely bunch of fellas too, Thijs is a proper gent!  

• Like 3