Why become a member? ×

Shrink my rig??

Lexii

Hope someone can point me in the right direction, tried the search function but as i don't really know what i'm after its not much use.

My current gear is Mark bass liitle mark 2 head into a bare faced supertwin ( + pedal board ). Iuse the gear for gigging local pubs and clubs.

Our stage setup has changed in that we now have a subs for the PA and have gone with in ear monitors so the on stage volume is less important, hence the super twin being overkill. However there will be the odd "small " pub gig where we wont use the sub so will still need a bass cab but it will only be a smaller room.

As I'm lugging this stuff in and out the house and into the car then into the gig etc etc every weekend , I am looking to shrink it down as much as possible and need some help advice on which way to go with smaller cabs.

My initial thought was to get a helix and DI into a powered speaker but then realised the cost of doing this would far outway the benefit.

So basically i am asking do i go 2x10  ,  1x15  , 1x12 etc , im leaning towards 1x12 as i know how the 12" behaves in the super twin. 

I suppose priority is size otherwise i may as well stay with what i have, also if im gonna change i dont want to be out of pocket.

Any recommendations guys?

Thanks

If you want to get a different sound there are dozens of great cabs out there, but if you don't want to be out of pocket. . .  keep what you've got. The danger of tailoring your rig to a specific band is that most bands don't last for ever. A 112 might not work in the next band and you might be grateful for the ST.

Any solution which reduces the size of your cab will cost money and you run the risk of getting a cab that doesn't sound as good as your current rig. The ST is about an inch wider and deeper and only 7 inches taller than an SC. The ST has castors and a 112 will have to be carried.

IMO Going to a 112 brings very little size benefit and some 112's will weigh as much as your ST. If you really have to downsize, I'd get a good SC when one comes up in the classifieds. Then you can test it on a gig, before you sell your ST.

I take my Super Twin to just about every bass gig I do. The footprint is hardly any bigger than that of my Midget (1x12), but the dispersion is much better so I can hear myself without being louder. The Super Twin big but it's not exactly heavy!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Barefaced are a good product in my experience, but do expect this to be completely poo-pooed, as they seem to garner as much unrealistic hatred as they do unrealistic praise.

What? Anyone would think this is some kind of internet forum!

1 minute ago, JapanAxe said:

What? Anyone would think this is some kind of internet forum!

Wow! Never thought anything other than Barefaced being top cabs! Heard Neil Murray (Snakecharmer) playing through one recently and was well impressed. 

1 hour ago, Lexii said:

we now have a subs for the PA and have gone with in ear monitors

[...]

My initial thought was to get a helix and DI into a powered speaker but then realised the cost of doing this would far outway the benefit.

Perhaps you don't necessarily need to buy a Helix.  What's your setup (preamp) when you are on in-ears?  Could you use the same system into a powered speaker? The price of a suitable powered speaker is comparable to that of a Super Compact.

5 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Perhaps you don't necessarily need to buy a Helix.  What's your setup (preamp) when you are on in-ears?  Could you use the same system into a powered speaker? The price of a suitable powered speaker is comparable to that of a Super Compact.

My pedal board is tuner ,overdrive ,fuzz and then into a sansamp programme ale which will Di . That said I do run chorus and phaser after it so I'm not sure how that would work? Would I still get enough bottom end from a powered speaker though? The in ears run wired from the monitor out on the mixer .

Edited by Lexii

I have both Super Twin & Super Compact, and have been using the SC for smaller gigs. I am no longer in a pub band, so am selling the SC, but the ST stays for the one band I am in now. 

They sound very similar, to my ears. Same speakers, just one in the SC and two in the ST.

27 minutes ago, Lexii said:

My pedal board is tuner ,overdrive ,fuzz and then into a sansamp programme ale which will Di . That said I do run chorus and phaser after it so I'm not sure how that would work? Would I still get enough bottom end from a powered speaker though? The in ears run wired from the monitor out on the mixer .

When you're using in-ears and you DI from the Sansamp to the mixer, how does anyone hear the chorus and phaser?  What's the output of the phaser connected to?

I get enough bottom end from my 1x12" powered speaker (which is indeed an on-trend RCF :biggrin:).  I used to play a Barefaced Big Baby 2 and have not found the RCF lacking. 

Edited by jrixn1

26 minutes ago, Lexii said:

If you are running the chorus and phaser after the DI, how do the audience hear it?

12 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If you are running the chorus and phaser after the DI, how do the audience hear it?

Sorry I may have mislead you, I di from the markbass head at the moment so post all FX and the sansamp is just there to colour the tone. I was trying to say that I "could" Di from the sansamp but I would have to put modulation pedals before it. That way eliminating the need for an amp and cab, just using a powered cab. Hope that explains it better , sorry

• Like 1

Why aren't you using inears in the smaller venue? You won't need subs in the smaller venue - and with IEMs and PA tops that are capable of taking your bass,  why aren't you just running with that...? Most decent sized PA cabs will take bass no problem - are you running quite small tops or something?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Why aren't you using inears in the smaller venue? You won't need subs in the smaller venue - and with IEMs and PA tops that are capable of taking your bass,  why aren't you just running with that...? Most decent sized PA cabs will take bass no problem - are you running quite small tops or something?

We will run in ears at the small venue but the tops just don't seem to give the right "thump" if you know what I mean. They need a hand

Edited by Lexii

8 minutes ago, Lexii said:

We will run in ears at the small venue but the tops just don't seem to give the right "thump" if you know what I mean. They need a hand

OK - is that a feeling thing for you on stage - or out front? What are your FOH speakers?

1 hour ago, Lexii said:

It's not my pa so don't know exact but I do know they are Yamaha, yeah kind of is a feeling thing I suppose.

So if it's not a sound thing - but more a movement of air, you may want to look into a eich bass board, a kt platform, a woojer or a backbeat.

• Thanks 1