Why become a member? ×

Live Sound Help

DanOwens

I play with a trio and I'm largely responsible for the sound. We're all multi-instrumentalists so we end up using 11 channels for our setup (mandolin, 3 guitars, upright, kick drum, snare, 3 vocals and harmonica). Our desk has parametric mids for most instruments and we run a graphic. I tend to try to do a basic voice-up for every room then use the parametric mid to pull out any feedback. 

So we have enough gear, and I've done production modules at uni so I'm no completely naive, but I'm wondering if anyone has any resources or tips for getting an even, balanced sound. I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

I'm open to all ideas!

thanks

58 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

No.

Panning is done live as well as studio, no? Or he shouldn't be panning?

no panning live apparently, so thats a no

https://www.audiomasterclass.com/newsletter/why-pan-in-live-sound-when-it-only-makes-the-audience-s-experience-worse

Edited by skidder652003

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't change how you mix, how will a new mixer make things better?

You are not happy with the mix now, you need to work on your mixing skills not buy a new mixer

If your bass playing sucked, would a new boutique bass make you play better or would lessons improve your playing?

Edited by bazzbass

Take my earlier statement with a pinch of salt, but actually it has helped. Having 4 bands of parametric EQ on every channel and access to gates has helped immensely and whilst I’m by no means a sound engineer, I’m better able to implement the study I did during my degree and since than with the old mixer!