Why become a member? ×

Maruszczyk flatwounds. What are they like?

KK Jale

I see Maroooochzeck flats are available nice and cheaply in medium scale and in the gauges I'd like to try (45-105).

Who actually makes them? Whaddathey like? Can you compare them to a summer's day, or more usefully the middly parp of a TI, the nasal boing of a Chrome or the plummy thonk of a La Bella?

• 2 weeks later...

I have these on my Jake and on my Jazz, I really like them but I am a learner. I tried TIs on another bass and I prefer the Maruszczyks as less fret clang than the TIs but that could be because the other bass is active and could be amplifying it and my technique is improving but the TIs are brighter I think; if you are passing call in and try them. Good value too.

Supposed to be made in Europe but by who I don't know and the internet doesn't seem to know either 

• Like 2

Soooo, I bought these. They're good. 

First impressions... very smooth and slightly finger-grabby in that La Bella/ Pyramid way, as opposed to glassy like Chromes or satin-fast like GHS. Nice even response, with no dead E. Black silk at both ends is a nice touch. 

Pretty firm-tensioned at 45-65-85-105 - easy enough on my 32" Precision, but on a 34" scale they'd probably feel a lot like the La Bella 760FS (same gauges, so no surprise there). In fact in terms of feel, tension and sound – which is very much in the Motown camp to my ears – I reckon I'd be hard-pushed to tell them from Deep Talkin' Flats in a blind test. Whether they settle down like DTF's remains to be seen. 

At £24 posted via Bass Direct I'd say these are a snip for the more trad-minded. 

UPDATE FOR POSTERITY SEPTEMBER 2021...

I fell out of love with the Maruszczyk flats eventually. I actually lost confidence in the bass they were on and nearly decided to sell it but as a last resort went back to my favoured Labellas and they transformed it - better feel, a lovely groovy bounce, a softer touch, far more even tension across the fingerboard and, dare I say it, more richness and  "musicality". They're still on and I play the bass every day. Worth the extra dosh many times over.

So after a year or so of use I feel justified in downgrading these strings from "really good" to "bit harsh overall, D and especially G pretty high tension, sound okay, didn't break, adequate I s'pose if you're strapped for £20". 

Thanks for tuning in. :)

Edited by KK Jale
  • Like 2