Why become a member? ×

Gretsch G2220 Junior Jet II

Frank Blank

Tried to walk past PMT, failed...

My search for a short scale four string continues, so far I have owned (briefly)...

A Chowny SWB-Pro - a beautifully built bass bass but for some odd reason I just couldn’t get on with it.

A Short Scale Fender Squier Jaguar - likewise, just couldn’t get on with it.

So today I tried...

An Ibanez Talman - meh.

A Fender Mustang PJ - it was OKish but I really dislike those ‘orrible pastel colours, yeech.

A Jackson JS 1X - dinky little thing. I couldn’t get over the toy/instrument schism until I actually played it, it was just as serious and nicely built as the previous two but again, meh.

An Ibanez Mikro - same as above with the Jackson.

Finally I tried a Gretsch G2220 - it had a head start simply by being black 🤘 but blimey, I had no idea it would be that kind of quality, not for under £300. I think I might be smitten. I’m thinking about a trip up to Bass Direct later this week to try a few out, they have a Chowny SWB-1 in there (it would be funny if I preferred it to the Pro, but then it is black🤘!) and I want to try a pre-owned Spector Euro Bantam and a Hofner Club.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I have one in Sunburst.

I keep trying to tell people how good they are. 

Absolutely superb little basses, and they sound massive. Talk about punching above your weight. 

I’ve only heard good reports about them and yet I remained sceptical... until I actually played one, it kind of stunned me a bit, really beefy and warm, it just knocked all the others into a cocked hat! I like the sunburst but that black is just calling me.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cato said:

I'm pretty sure that the guy from Royal Blood played a Junior Jet on their early tours.

He may even have recorded their first album with it.

Yes indeed. He still uses it live when he's playing stuff from the first album. Sadly he's sponsored up the wazoo by Fender now so I doubt it will see the light of day again on any new stuff. 

• Like 1

I sold my black Junior Jet, and without a doubt was the most playable and best sounding bass I have owned. It is also the one I have regretted selling most  ….  😒

I am actually trying to scrape the money up at the moment to buy another ! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bleat said:

I sold my black Junior Jet, and without a doubt was the most playable and best sounding bass I have owned. It is also the one I have regretted selling most  ….  😒

I am actually trying to scrape the money up at the moment to buy another ! 

What do you play now?

Frank...

Currently  I have made the decision to just not play at all until I can get another Gretsch! 

I Have tried going back to "proper" scale instruments for grown ups recently in a vain attempt to be taken seriously as a bass player. Seeing that I'm far too immature for such things, I am now currently trying to sell off a cheap P bass type of thing that I liked the look of at the time (what was I thinking?!) It has just confirmed that 34" just doesn't look or feel right to me anymore.... I do not think there is any real sonic advantage over the sound these Gretsch basses make also!.....plus I'm too lazy to stretch my hand a couple more inches down the fretboard.🤪

How do you guys that own, or have played the Gretsch find the finish on the neck?

I tried one in my local PMT a few weeks ago and although the neck profile felt slim and comfortable, it was really sticky and there was a noticeable resistance to my left hand as I was playing up and down the neck. I'm not sure what the neck is finished with but it put me off the bass straight away. Is this normal for this model? Or was the one I played a duffer? 

10 minutes ago, Osiris said:

How do you guys that own, or have played the Gretsch find the finish on the neck?

I tried one in my local PMT a few weeks ago and although the neck profile felt slim and comfortable, it was really sticky and there was a noticeable resistance to my left hand as I was playing up and down the neck. I'm not sure what the neck is finished with but it put me off the bass straight away. Is this normal for this model? Or was the one I played a duffer? 

The neck on mine is high gloss (over natural wood) which is a shame. They really should have left the neck bare. Having said that it's super smooth and I've never had any issues moving my hand along it. 

4 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

The neck on mine is high gloss (over natural wood) which is a shame. They really should have left the neck bare. Having said that it's super smooth and I've never had any issues moving my hand along it. 

Thanks, sounds like the one I tried wasn't duff in that case. Because of the sticky neck I didn't get as far as plugging it in to see what it sounds like at volume but if it's half as good as you guys are claiming I might be tempted to give one another go sometime. Agreed, something other than a high gloss finish would have been preferable, to me at least. Something like a satin finish would have been the bass more playable, IMO.

1 minute ago, Osiris said:

Thanks, sounds like the one I tried wasn't duff in that case. Because of the sticky neck I didn't get as far as plugging it in to see what it sounds like at volume but if it's half as good as you guys are claiming I might be tempted to give one another go sometime. Agreed, something other than a high gloss finish would have been preferable, to me at least. Something like a satin finish would have been the bass more playable, IMO.

Yeah I agree. They missed a trick there really. Still, if you get another chance try plugging one in. I think you'll be surprised at how "big" they sound. I've also got a Squire Jag (full scale) with active bass circuit, which is around the same price point as the Gretsch, and it doesn't come anywhere close to the Gretsch on sound or build quality. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Very easy to take the gloss down with a little fine wire wool. 

1 hour ago, Osiris said:

The one I played had none of the neck issues yours had, I think you might have found a duff there.

40 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Still, if you get another chance try plugging one in. I think you'll be surprised at how "big" they sound.

That’s what freaked me out so much, they have such a beefy tone, I was genuinely shocked. So much so I began playing along with Hanson, PMT Southend, there.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

The one I played had none of the neck issues yours had, I think you might have found a duff there.

It may have been that they were a little over zealous with the gloss on the one I tried but it sounds like it's not common issue, so if it can easily be resolved with a little wire wool...

3 minutes ago, Osiris said:

It may have been that they were a little over zealous with the gloss on the one I tried but it sounds like it's not common issue, so if it can easily be resolved with a little wire wool...

I was wondering about that, taking the gloss off the neck. I prefer a Matt finish.

9 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I was wondering about that, taking the gloss off the neck. I prefer a Matt finish.

Me too. I tend to be a bit hamfisted when it comes to jobs like that but if it's pretty straightforward then I might give it a go, pending a successful test drive that is 😀

8 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Me too. I tend to be a bit hamfisted when it comes to jobs like that but if it's pretty straightforward then I might give it a go, pending a successful test drive that is 😀

I’m afraid I’m very much the ‘straight to the luthier’ type, I’ve never lifted a bonnet in my life.

Edited by Frank Blank