Why become a member? ×

Solo albums by band instrumentalists (with or without guest vocalists)

darkandrew

I was playing an old CD in my car on the way home from work tonight - Alan Wilder (Depeche Mode)'s second Recoil album, Bloodline, and I was reminded how good it was. I was also left thinking about other solo albums by band instrumentalists and how some, like this Recoil album, work while others, such as Dave Ball (Soft Cell)'s Strict Tempo album, just don't live up to their promise. By the way, if you haven't heard "India" from Billy Currie (Ultravox)'s first solo album Transportation it's worth a listen if only for Derek Forbes' bass playing:

Are there any other hits or misses that you would like to nominate?

Edited by darkandrew

Mark King's superb second solo album 'One Man' couldn't be more different from the Level 42 material -- no bass gymnastics of any sort whatsoever, just good songs.
Here's an excellent live version of one of the tracks (featuring Gary Husband on drums and Mark's brother Nathan on guitar).

Slash's 2010 solo album is brilliant.

He collaborates with a bunch of different singers so every song has a different feel but all feature some smoking guitar playing and cool hooks. 

I'm less keen on the stuff he has done since tho - preferred the variety of the first one. 

Excellent contributions from Ozzy, Lemmy, Iggy, Fergie and also some people with two names, like Ian Astbury, Chris Cornell and Andrew Stockdale. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

Slash's 2010 solo album is brilliant.

He collaborates with a bunch of different singers so every song has a different feel but all feature some smoking guitar playing and cool hooks. 

I'm less keen on the stuff he has done since tho - preferred the variety of the first one. 

Excellent contributions from Ozzy, Lemmy, Iggy, Fergie and also some people with two names, like Ian Astbury, Chris Cornell and Andrew Stockdale. 

You beat me to it. 

• Like 1

A few solo albums spring to mind as being fantastic

Most of my solo albums are bass related, so a quick mention of my faves of them

already said Mark kings solo album is up there with moses

Francis Rocco Prestia,s Everybody on the bus,

Gary willis, Bent

And the best of them all is an unlikely choice, when yes members were all releasing solo albums i had the lot, everything, the one i kept, is Allan whites solo album Ramshackled, its just stunning for lots of reasons, great bass playing by Colin Gibson, everyone on the LP is top draw, very catchy songs, Well done Allan.