Why become a member? ×

Heads up: Modal CRAFT Synth 2.0 Kickstarter ending soon.

BassTractor

This might be innersting to some. I just found a fun Kickstarter project:
Modal's second CRAFT synth is seeing the light of day, and this time it's a monophonic wavetable synth with morphable waveforms and other goodies. Basically, at £119 for EU citizens (incl. VAT and probably before postage), it seems like a crafty little thing, and personally I've just backed it without knowing - or being interested in - all the details.

It sounds well, will also operate on batteries, and I feel I will have fun with it one way or another.

Only drawback I can see right now: the Kickstarter thing will close tomorrow.

Edit: apparently, the link to the Kickstarter page just gives this vid. I have no idea how to edit that, so here's the link with a missing h:

ttps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skulpt/modal-craftsynth-20

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only real drawback is kickstarter. Always a bit of a pain, always at least 2 months late if you are lucky, and several years if you aren't.

Looks an interesting project but I have to be totally sold on something now before I back it. Not that I haven't had good stuff from there, I am sitting here with a watch from it, and I had an artiphon instrument 1, which was ok. Just a lot of other hassle!

and that link doesn't work.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skulpt/modal-craftsynth-20

Edited by Woodinblack

Thanks. @Woodinblack!
I have no experience with Kickstarter myself, but my daughter was part of a campaign that worked very well if a few weeks late. It will be interesting to see how this works and works out. (Proud dad bit: she's autistic but still solved a problem with, and designed the double/triple bonds for, some molecular models called Snatoms.)

Thanks for the correct link! How did you do that? I tried the exact same link twice, and both times it just gave the vid. That's why I removed the "h" from "https" so people could add it and make a working link out of it.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Thanks. @Woodinblack!
I have no experience with Kickstarter myself, but my daughter was part of a campaign that worked very well if a few weeks late. It will be interesting to see how this works and works out. (Proud dad bit: she's autistic but still solved a problem with, and designed the double/triple bonds for, some molecular models called Snatoms.)

Cool

Well, with kickstarter, I tend to multiply the distance between now and their expected shipping date by 1.5 and assume it will be that. I have only had one beat that, I have had 2 that were over a year late, and 1 that was over 2 years late and a couple that just went bad. Luckily not expensive ones.

Now I tend to just make a note of what I am interested in, and if it is already funded, wait until a year or so later and see if it is selling!

33 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Thanks for the correct link! How did you do that? I tried the exact same link twice, and both times it just gave the vid. That's why I removed the "h" from "https" so people could add it and make a working link out of it.

When you paste it it puts the video and there is a banner underneath asking if you want to post a link instead. As even adding the h to your link it didn't work.

Thanks for explaining, @Woodinblack.

I get where you're coming from re Kickstarter, and it's a dimension that continues to keep me sceptical to the point that I never even found out about the details of projects before this one by Modal. They have delivered before.

As to the link, I was expecting some type of "banner underneath", but couldn't find one. My guess is I need to tweak my AdBlock and Privacy Badger settings.

Copying my text string and adding the missing "h" in my browser's address field worked a treat for me in Chrome. Don't get why it wouldn't work for you. 

Anyway, thanks!

Edited by BassTractor

here it just went to a 404, then I tried various other things to get it, and it went to other pages, then I gave up and did a search for synth on kickstarter and found it!

Sorry to be negative on it, the synth looks great - although i am trying to cut down on stuff and I would more likely trust something from bristol because I could drive there and shout at them in case of problems. It is also soon to release so the delay is likely to be less.

Just got burned a few times, both on delay and on costs, but it is a fact I am sitting here with kickstarter things I use every day!

404? Don't get that. Maybe something with their server then.

Anyway, your input was well appreciated, and I never felt you were negative - just reasonable, and explaining why you were wary of these things after having been burned.

In the mean time, also the Kickstarter "stretch goal" was reached, this giving each pledger a case for the synth. I like that.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor