Why become a member? ×

Warwick Rockbass Corvette $$ - opinions and alternatives?

Nibbos

Hi all,

Just fishing for opinions and thoughts on the Warwick Rockbass Corvette $$ (4-string, Nirvana Black) and similarly-priced alternatives.

I currently own the Rockbass but don't play it that much. Instead I prefer the Overwater Tanglewood Aspiration Standard Plus (which recently went back to Overwater for a complete rebuild and set-up) for pottering around on.

I was wondering what alternative to the Rockbass might interest me and whether trading up to a second-hand P-bass (Fender?) is worth considering?

I'm just an idle tinkerer and don't do any gigging or performances, but do occasionally play amplified with close acquaintances (a nice, safe environment). I'm not into heavy rock or self-indulgent noodling up and down the fretboard. I just want to improve my technique, scales/patterns and confidence, maybe venturing into some gentle funk/slap/groove (Graham Central Station etc.).

Any thoughts or ideas welcome. Happy to receive conflicting advice from all corners, but not interested in listening to people argue with each other about why they think their opinion is better than another's.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Nibbos

I know lots of people will love them and for them it works... I want one. I want to love it but I don't think it would ever work for me. I've played the German double buck back in 2006ish and recently a GPS double buck and a second hand German one. I found that either I don't understand the EQ options or the sound is far more bland than I anticipated, I'm not sure what it's own character is if that makes sense? Also I found the neck really thick. I like a thick neck, don't get me wrong, but this is something else. 

Overall I was expecting a big voice from it, a powerful pickup sound akin to a Stingray. I A/B'd one against a Stingray in December, keen to spend less on the Warwick and get the Warwick growl but I just couldn't get a good punchy tone from it. The Stingray just blew it away so that's what I bought. Maybe that's down to me finding the Stingray EQ far more intuitive. 

Tell me I'm wrong, I probably am because I didn't fully dig in. But you will make me think "if I just bought my own from new and spent just enough time..."

So for alternatives I would suggest a non-USA Stingray. Or a jazz. Or a Sire M series. Or an Ibanez. You'll get lots of choice at lots of price ranges. And don't be afraid to buy second hand. A second hand guitar that's never been used beyond bedroom noodling will be in excellent condition and save you a packet that you can spend on effects and other spanky toys to enjoy.

Edited by uk_lefty

I ended up in a similar ball park to UK Lefty when I was looking at the German $$ some years ago.  I found the sound a bit on the dark side despite whatever I did on the EQ and I really wanted to like it.  I even found the standard active Corvette to have a better range of tones and more of the signature WW growl.

I've tried one and while it sounded massive on its own, it wasn't very well defined and I could picture it getting lost quite easily in a mix (especially live) and just not cutting through the way two single coils would. But then I've never really been a humbucker guy when I think about it. I also don't like my basses to have too many switches and knobs on the front. My GPS Corvette J/J with two knobs and a stacked tone suits me fine.

I took a bit of a punt on a 2006 German $$ a couple of years ago, and much like the guys above found the sound very dark and very flat, very lifeless and scooped sounding, and the neck was huge, so it got moved on after a couple of months. Then last year I took another punt and picked up another one with completely different electronics. It has Bartolini's instead of the  usual MEC's and a 3 band EQ (and a much nicer neck). To my ear the 3 band EQ makes a massive difference. Being able to give the mids a bit of a kick brings the thing to life, and after being a single coil fan for the last thirty years because I like the  punchiness i now use the $$ almost 100% of the time.

So my suggestion would really depend on what it is you don't like about the $$. If its the sound then getting a new EQ fitted may make all the difference for you and be much cheaper to do. If its a feel or play-ability issue then sell it and try something else. In that regard I would point you towards the Sire Marcus Miller range, amazing value for money.

• Like 1