Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray Classic or Sandberg TM4 Hardcore Aged?!

woodywyatt

I currently own a lovely Musicman Stingray Classic sunburst but I've recently been 'gassin out' on Sandbergs TM4  Hardcore Aged bass up to the point now, where I'm actually seriously considering selling my Stingray (shock)

Has anyone owned a Sandberg TM4? Thoughts? How does it compare to the Stingray? It sure does sound good!

Any pointers appreciated!

So the TM.....it’s bloody brilliant!!!

Nothing will sound like a Ray, a Ray is a Ray.

The TM even with the bridge pick up solo’d will notnsojnd like a Ray, it was not designed too, it’s there to compliment the Neck pick up.

Played a TM, Played  Grand Dark (actually played most bases in the Sandberg range!) it is a top top top notch bass, and personally I love ageing.

If it’s active it’s a Glockenklang pre amp which is very very good. You have the option of Delano picks or Sandbergs new black labels (if it’s a custom bass they would stick what you want in). This new black labels are monster pick ups and I would heartily recommend them.

If you want to go brand new then the new Super Light series has hit the U.K. only this past week. It’s made from A cedar bodyC Norwegian Maple fret which is lighter, the whole bass comes in at 2.8kg and is about £1.4k. I think they are at bass direct. I have played the prototype and it blew me away with punch, clarity, sustain and those black labels.

You may have guessed I am a massive fan, but honestly if you take finish aside, I haven’t heard 1 person knock a Sandberg, yep some may not love it, but it oozes quality

• Like 1

That's good to hear. Yeah, I'm not really expecting it to replicate the sound of the Stingray, it just seems a bit more versatile. I love the aging too!
It's looking more like the old Stingray will have to go..

I've seen Sandberg California II listed in a few places, what's the difference?

California is the whole range from P to jazz to PJ (VT) TM, VM, TM2.

California II is the new shape brought in in 2015 to move away from the old Fender shape, the black label pick ups are slowly filtering in from more recently, but the old sandberg pick ups are class too, but a little more vintage sounding compared to the others.

Some have Haüssel pick ups which are also great, they are more in the custom made models.

if you check pictures pre 2015 production and then current, you’ll see what you prefer.

Also have a play on the website configurator, I have lost hours making basses!

I've had a TM5 in the beautiful Roquefort Blue aged.

I only sold it because of the weight of it - it was the original shape and was a bit heavy.

It was a brilliant sounding bass and very easy to play. If it had been a pound lighter I would have kept it. The California 2 series are a lot lighter than the old ones.

I'd happily have another one.

32 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

I am biased as I love Musicman and the Ray sound.

My Musicman Classic 5 is the best bass guitar I have ever played or heard in my 23+ years of playing. It helps that it is stunningly pretty.

Yep, I guess I need to try both the TM & the VM before making the decision to sell my beloved Stingray Classic.
Watch this space!