Why become a member? ×

Adding Tube Warmth to Solid State amp

Sharkfinger

9 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Has anyone tried the Ampeg Classic Bass Preamp? Wondering what they are like for adding a bit more meat on the bones for overall bass tones.

Ampeg.jpg

I’ve got the SCR-DI which is that plus a scrambler overdrive. 

I like it - it does a passable SVT ish tone and certainly adds something.

The scrambler not so much..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

I was wondering about that pedal and did think about buying it. If I see one come up second hand, will give it a whirl.  See if it will replace my Ampegulator and not have to use the EQ on my amp.

5 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Yes I had one of those too, I had the scrambler set in minimal and it added in some nice drive when digging in, anything more and I thought it just sounded, well, wrong.

9 hours ago, Sharkfinger said:

I was wondering about that pedal and did think about buying it. If I see one come up second hand, will give it a whirl.  See if it will replace my Ampegulator and not have to use the EQ on my amp.

Does the ampegulator not add tube like warmth?                                           

For what it's worth I was doing some tracking at home with the DHA VT-1 earlier straight into the computer and it made the bass super warm and tubey. It's the one without the eq from 2008 or there abouts. I'd stopped using it because of the 12v power supply a while back but it sounds really great. I'm glad I dug it out.                     

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ray Jones said:

Does the ampegulator not add tube like warmth?          

It does a little, yes. Mainly just that 'dynamic grit' that I like.  I just don't like the EQ, makes it sound muddy to my ear.  Perhaps with the treble up, it rolls off frequencies above it?  Is that a real thing or am I imagining it?

12 minutes ago, Ray Jones said:

It could be trying to emulate the compression tubes give. Tubes do mellow out the highs. 

Did you make the ampegulator?

You could give the GUMA Antique Drive kit a try. 

I had it made for me, to a much higher standard than I could have managed.

The GUMA Antique is based on the DG vintage microtubes, isn't it?  Might give that a try, might get on better with the EQ.

41 minutes ago, Sharkfinger said:

I had it made for me, to a much higher standard than I could have managed.

The GUMA Antique is based on the DG vintage microtubes, isn't it?  Might give that a try, might get on better with the EQ.

I know that with the VMT/Guma the eq section is after the drive section so if you are happy with your own amps eq you could leave it flat. I don't know how transparent it is.

It also has a blend.

After a long play last night i took my Basswitch off the board and put the BDDI back on. Its a cliche phrase but to my ears its 'tone heaven'. I found the BW to be doing a good job, but the BDDI can do that, and more if needed. The BDDI seems to make a really nice difference with my new BH800.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Yep - researched it, listened loads, know a guy that tried one.

Not magic beans

As an observer there seems to be a real obsession generally on bass forums with preamps in pedal format that I’m not sure was there a few years back

• Like 2

This may sound daft, but have you tried different basses or more specifically different pickups? I have x2 Vintage basses - a V4 reissue and a ICON. They have different pick ups in, but otherwise fairly identical. Identical strings on too.

No matter what i use or what i do, i cannot get the V4 to give that bright zingy valvey sound. Tried everything. It sounds great, really great, but not bright valve like.

However, the ICON, as soon as i plug it in to anything remotely valvey or valve like bursts into valve like song.

Its weird. But the ICON really does the valve sound great, but the V4 cant get anywhere near as close, despite using identical amps and pedals.

14 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

As an observer there seems to be a real obsession generally on bass forums with preamps in pedal format that I’m not sure was there a few years back

Yes it occurs to me that I currently own 8. And I bet I'm not the only one on basschat with more than I'll ever need.

They are stupidly convenient though, and very versatile. And, like it or not, amps are getting less and less relevant so I'm sure preamp use will increase.

14 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I think it’s the convenience that they bring. At any gig, no matter what amp/cab is onstage I know that FOH will get the sound the band wants due to my Para Driver.  Really makes gigging easy, especially on shared backline/15 min changeover gigs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I think it’s the convenience that they bring. At any gig, no matter what amp/cab is onstage I know that FOH will get the sound the band wants due to my Para Driver.  Really makes gigging easy, especially on shared backline/15 min changeover gigs.

+1^^ exactly! 

One pedal to rule them all.

And the point applies not just to backline but equally to whichever bass you happen to fancy playing that night too! :)