Why become a member? ×

Adding Tube Warmth to Solid State amp

Sharkfinger

8 minutes ago, Sharkfinger said:

If I can find one used, might give it a go. If it's got the tone and headroom, could work.

Were you referring to the Mesa M6 or the WD-800? 

The WD-800 are unlikely to be available used for 12 months or so as they are only just starting to ship. The M6 do come up occasionally from time to time, but their owners (for some weird reason) seem to want to hold on them! :) 

I've just got a little Gator GRB-2U case to replace the combo housing that my M6 previously luxuriated in...

i really dont think that a valve preamp or digital valve pre amp emulator will give you that sparkle.

Its the valve power section you want for that. Valve pre amps for me just dial in a bit of grind and eq, but no magic 'oomph' as in a valve power output.

1 minute ago, Jus Lukin said:

Heft and sparkle are bad enough, but I think once we start talking about magic it's time to step back and take ten deep breaths, guys.

This way madness lies.

are you disputing the existence of "heft"?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

Of course, given that the term is almost entirely meaningless in real-world audio application.

Frequency response I understand, and the relativity of frequencies measured in decibels.

We can't pinpoint what frequency it lies at, the Q of the band, or to what degree it needs to be emphasised above other frequencies to cease simply being part of a balanced response- and if we could, we wouldn't need to it call it heft any more.

What we do at least have with heft and sparkle is that one is 'something pleasing somewhere low' and the other 'something pleasing somewhere high'.

Magic we might as well have pulled from a top-hat, and is an unhealthy way for things to head in a generally helpful forum such as this.

i disagree.

2 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Heft and sparkle are bad enough, but I think once we start talking about magic it's time to step back and take ten deep breaths, guys.

This way madness lies.

Heft, sparkle, magic sparkle, fairy dust...

Is there an ascending level of madness going on here? 

I discovered some serious additional heft just by pulling on a knob today...tbf it was the "pull deep" feature (ok it gets worse 😂)

"The bass control [on a Mesa M6] also has the pull-deep feature, which shifts the normally tightly focused bass response to a sub-bass area that just overflows with warmth and fullness. However, in this mode it simultaneously activates the extreme top end of the tonal range, so notes stay clear and defined. This is a monster feature that any blue-blooded bass player will adore."

[Update] - I found that a combination of the 'deep pull' + hpf (in my case a Thumpinator) seemed to deliver both a really 'full' sound without it being boomy; seems like a great combination and could well become my 'default' going forward.

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

Of course, given that the term is almost entirely meaningless in real-world audio application.

Frequency response I understand, and the relativity of frequencies measured in decibels.

We can't pinpoint what frequency it lies at, the Q of the band, or to what degree it needs to be emphasised above other frequencies to cease simply being part of a balanced response- and if we could, we wouldn't need to it call it heft any more.

What we do at least have with heft and sparkle is that one is 'something pleasing somewhere low' and the other 'something pleasing somewhere high'.

Magic we might as well have pulled from a top-hat, and is an unhealthy way for things to head in a generally helpful forum such as this.

Is that a bit like saying - "chemical reactions I understand, but this term 'romance' or 'magic in the air' what is is this nonsense?"

The life poetic as well as scientific. One brings colour to an otherwise grey world.

I've lost track of where this thread has wandered but returning to the original question  if I was trying to emulate Ampeg-like tones with another amp I would consider the Tech 21 VT bass or one of Ampeg's own DI/pre amp pedals as the best way to go. If you are trying to add a valvey character (not necessarily Ampeg like) to your EA head then the Markbass compressore is one of the best pedal valve compressors that does add a nice sheen to the tone. The VT bass is a different animal to either the Paradriver or BDDI because it is designed specifically to emulate Ampeg tones.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

For a little more control maybe add a Thumpinator & Spectracomp.

Well I've started using both of these at the front end of my signal chain and have to admit I'm liking what they are doing! :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

On 11/01/2019 at 02:11, Al Krow said:

Just wondering whether, for a cost not much more than the Lehle pedal,  @ebozzz was getting the same from his Bughera Veyron BV1001T?

@Al Krow,

It's been a couple of years since I had the T in my care so anything I could tell you now would be strictly from memory only. If I am correct, it sounds like you are interested in tube-like characteristics or performance. Here are my disclaimers. I have never owned nor have I had any meaningful experience with a true tube amp. Due to my lack of experience, my perspectives may not be as accurate as those from someone who has been more hands on with tube amps. With that being said, I'll try to answer your question....

If a person is looking for an amp that would offer some dirt or overdriven tones to their signal the Veyron BV1001T, while warmer sounding than the Mosfet version to my ears, is probably not the one as it stays pretty clean throughout the gain structure. I do think that it sounds similar to some of the tones that Ed was achieving in his video at times but I honestly don't feel that it would get you totally there. Now, the T with a quality & less expensive pedal than the Lehle in front of it? That might work.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I discovered some serious additional heft just by pulling on a knob today...tbf it was the "pull deep" feature (ok it gets worse 😂)

That’s fine until you realise that you have to play every gig with your knob hanging out.

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Just had a try out of @bassfan's Grizzly bass pedal.

Does the warm valve thing with no loss of low end probably better than I've heard from any other dirt pedal.

Definitely being added to my wish list. 

Does a nice P Bass motownesque sound too which is why I sold all but 2 pedals last year... 

Just a quick update regarding the Basswitch Sonic Spark. It arrived yesterday and i had a play around last night, only on headphones though. To my ears its close to the  VPF filter on Markbass heads, but its also sweepable so the dip can be moved. Also similar to a BDDI i guess, without real EQ controls or the set dip in the mids.  Adding in the overtones/harmonics then warms it all up a bit. Both work independent, but the Enhance is also effected by how the Tone is set. dialling back in the original signal allows for more mid control. Quite cool for a 4 knob box. There is no over the top colouring, its not trying too hard to replicate an Ampeg amp, but there is definitely an added depth and width to the tone, and the harmonics seem to let the notes poke through without sounding harsh and bright. My COG 66 seems to love it, it sounds lot more meaty using my usual settings. It can get close to how i use my BDDI if i want it to, but i think id need more EQ options to use ti like that. Its a very powerful output. This being the case i have my Spectradrive at the end of the chain to tame things if they get out of hand.

At least, thats how i perceive it. Next week ill get to use it with my rig, but i can already tell its going to be a keeper. Its not a major effect, just something that will sit there on all the time. Definitely taken over from the BDDI for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/01/2019 at 15:45, Beedster said:

Which assume that the journey itself wasn't what allowed you to decide what it is that you wanted :)

All joking aside, this stuff is fun, expensive at times, but fun. I'm playing pretty much the same rig I when I got back into bass about 10 years ago. This would be OK if it wasn't for the fact that I've probably owned about 15 different rigs in the intervening years! What did I learn? I like tubes and I don't like things that pretend to be tubes. I like to carry heavy gear (which given the previous point is fortunate). I like to simply plug and play, bass-cable-head-cable-cab. Took me a while to get there though, but it was fun. We should never deny anyone else the same journey just because we know better :)

@Beedster out of interest what set up do you have now , as I’ve just started looking at tube amps , and you’ve been on this journey 🙂

There’s a fender Bassman 100t in the for sales that look great. 100w all tube head not too heavy, modern tech vintage tones! If I had the cash I’d buy this immediately! Enough ‘volume’ to get the power amp valves working just where you’d want them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Just a quick update regarding the Basswitch Sonic Spark. It arrived yesterday and i had a play around last night, only on headphones though. To my ears its close to the  VPF filter on Markbass heads, but its also sweepable so the dip can be moved. Also similar to a BDDI i guess, without real EQ controls or the set dip in the mids.  Adding in the overtones/harmonics then warms it all up a bit. Both work independent, but the Enhance is also effected by how the Tone is set. dialling back in the original signal allows for more mid control. Quite cool for a 4 knob box. There is no over the top colouring, its not trying too hard to replicate an Ampeg amp, but there is definitely an added depth and width to the tone, and the harmonics seem to let the notes poke through without sounding harsh and bright. My COG 66 seems to love it, it sounds lot more meaty using my usual settings. It can get close to how i use my BDDI if i want it to, but i think id need more EQ options to use ti like that. Its a very powerful output. This being the case i have my Spectradrive at the end of the chain to tame things if they get out of hand.

At least, thats how i perceive it. Next week ill get to use it with my rig, but i can already tell its going to be a keeper. Its not a major effect, just something that will sit there on all the time. Definitely taken over from the BDDI for now.

Can't wait for mine to arrive.  Another option for this is the Dr J. Sparrow.  I had one a while ago but (again) stupidly sold it.  From memory, does much the same thing as Hartke Bass attack (harmonics knob) but with fewer options.  Cheap enough for me to experiment with, if I see one come up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, krispn said:

There’s a fender Bassman 100t in the for sales that look great. 100w all tube head not too heavy, modern tech vintage tones! If I had the cash I’d buy this immediately! Enough ‘volume’ to get the power amp valves working just where you’d want them.

Looks good but want to stick with the convenience of a combo right now.  Think I'd go super bassman for the clean headroom if I went that way....