Why become a member? ×

Mini switch ON-ON-ON or ON-OFF-ON

fleabag

I have a couple of 3 position mini switches,  6 poles undereneath.  Unlike  an ON-ON switch i have which actually states the words  ON-ON somewhere on the switch, the two 3 way switches have no such stamping on them  ( why FFS ? )

So.. i need an ON-ON-ON switch, but i need to test them to see if they might be ON-OFF-ON which would be no good to me.  The switch is needed to click between Parallel Bucker / Series  Bucker / Single Coil  ( just the one pickup, by the way )

Got a multi Meter but need some leccie guru to tell me how to test - what range - etc,  which poles , blah blah

Wade in folks.  There's a dougnut in it for anyone that can help. There's only one bite out of it too, so nearly new

Ta

Edited by fleabag

TBH if you need this explaining you really shouldn't be messing with circuits of any description, but here goes...

Your switches will be DPDT (double pole, double throw) and should have the six contacts arranged in two rows of three in line with the direction of the switch movement. The centre two contacts are the ones always attached to the switching mechanism for each "throw" the outer contacts in each set of three are the switched contacts. 

Put your multimeter in audible continuity mode (for most beginners this is the most common setting you'll be using and if your multimeter doesn't have it you should get a different one), touching the two probes together will produce and audible tone. 

Touch one probe to the centre contact in one of the rows of three and the other to either of the outer contacts in the same row. If you still get the audible tone with the switch in the centre position then your switch is On, On, On. If you don't get a tone then your switch is On, Off, On.

You could have figured this out for your self simply by trial and error with your multimeter.

• Like 1

I'm not messing with them, i need to send the switch to somebody for wiring. There's 2 of them in fact, and they look identical and i didnt want to post them off if they were either duff altogether, or the wrong type of switch. Not everyone knows what the're doing

But hey, thanks for the condescending reply.  It was helpful

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Touch one probe to the centre contact in one of the rows of three and the other to either of the outer contacts in the same row. If you still get the audible tone with the switch in the centre position then your switch is On, On, On. If you don't get a tone then your switch is On, Off, On.

This.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

On 13/01/2019 at 19:18, fleabag said:

Yes - that was my reaction to reading this thread!

Wiring a guitar is not hallowed ground, nor rocket science; if you don't know your SPST from your DPDT, then it's not a crime.

Me, I used to think I knew something about electronics and UMIST even gave me a piece of paper saying I'm a bachelor in it. (Electronics, that is, not IT, because IT didn't exist then; however, that said, I do now work in IT!)

My next wiring will be a 6-way toggle switch configured as 3+3  to do A/A+B/B for a pair of pickups in single-coil and humbucking, plus a couple of push-pull knobs do do things.

• Like 2