Why become a member? ×

Monster bass playing from Julian Crampton.

bubinga5

Jaccobs Ladder by Incognito. I saw him play this a few times on an F Bass 5 string live with Incognito at various venues.. When you hear the song it makes more sense. But non the less what a bass player. Met him upstairs at the Jazz Cafe when he was playing with Down to the Bone. What a lovely man he was. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Jaccob's Ladder by Incognito...

Not being an utter fan of funk, slapstick, disco and the like, I don't follow regularly these posts, but I do like to tempt the devil on occasion, and give summit its chance. Well, today, Chance has been on my side, as I gave this a whirl, and, not only did I not regret it (s'often the case, unfortunately :( ...), I actually thoroughly enjoyed this splendid rendering of bass virtuosity. This fellow makes it appear so simple and evident, too, with his eyes wide shut..! This time, I can sincerely say 'Thanks for posting'..! Good Stuff. :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rich said:

What a player this man is. I remember buying The Pasadenas' album purely because of his basslines.

Yeah I remember hearing this  years ago. Little did I know it was Julian. There is some brilliant laid back playing on this. His fills at the end. ! 

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Chatted to Julian at some length a long time ago in The Gallery. A thoroughly nice and humble chap.

As I mentioned I did also, he sat and talked to me and my girlfriend at the time for well over an hour. He had his bass with him and was a Japan 75 RI Jazz bass without the pick guard. I picked it up and played a few notes unplugged and it just felt right. As you might expect. The thing is we didn't talk about music or bass playing. We talked about life, as cheesy as it sounds.

Edited by bubinga5

• 1 year later...

He’s incredible, surely one of the best bass players to come out of the UK. Can anyone recommend other artists he’s played with other than Incognito and The Sunburst Band please? I think I have probably heard most of his recorded stuff but there are sometimes a few hidden gems out there if you know where to look. 😀  

On 30/10/2020 at 07:46, MNY said:

He’s incredible, surely one of the best bass players to come out of the UK. Can anyone recommend other artists he’s played with other than Incognito and The Sunburst Band please? I think I have probably heard most of his recorded stuff but there are sometimes a few hidden gems out there if you know where to look. 😀  

check out discogs.

• 2 months later...
On 30/10/2020 at 07:46, MNY said:

check him out playing with Tony Remy:

https://g.co/kgs/xPyuwb