Why become a member? ×

Carrying an Amp Head

Unknown_User

I've recently made the move from using a combo to using a separate amp and head.  Do any of you have recommendations for the easiest and safest way to shift an amp head in and out of gigs/rehearsal rooms?  It's a pretty heavy rack mountable one so I'm not sure if it'd fit in a rucksack.

Do any of you use special bags or cases for these things?  Would any bag need to be padded out to keep it safe from damage?

Thanks!

I use tool bags for cables etc and another for a PA mixer amp. One is made by JCB and the bigger one by Makita and it’s a sky blue colour which is great for finding it on dark stages or at night! Ebay, about £17 for the big gblue.

Edited by mybass

I'd suggest a simple wooden rack case (Thomann sell many, under the Thon brand) with the shallowest depth to fit, and lighter draw type latches.  If your amp gets warm, also consider a spare empty 1u space above just to make sure it can cool. 

I've found even the better rack bags don't last that long before the Zips go etc but a wooden rack case can do many years.  Plastic cases can be ok but are not that good if the amp is heavy...

• Thanks 1

I would say not necessarily.  For the past few years I have been using an old Trace Elliot AH300 that has been mounted in a Gator 2U ABS rack case and, so far as I can see, it is perfect.  To a degree it offsets the weight of the amp - just 12kg in total - and is sturdy enough to protect it from any knocks.  Also there is room to stash the kettle and cab leads in the back, with a bit of foam by way of protection.

• Like 2

On 08/01/2019 at 15:37, Paul S said:

I would say not necessarily.  For the past few years I have been using an old Trace Elliot AH300 that has been mounted in a Gator 2U ABS rack case and, so far as I can see, it is perfect.  To a degree it offsets the weight of the amp - just 12kg in total - and is sturdy enough to protect it from any knocks.  Also there is room to stash the kettle and cab leads in the back, with a bit of foam by way of protection.

What he said 😁

• Like 1