Why become a member? ×

Top 10 jazz albums for a newbie

Burns-bass

This is a great question I was asked by a new bass player wanting to explore the genre.

I have to say my experience is more in the funk, soul and (ashamed to admit it) fusion side of things and so rather than fudge it I thought I'd ask you guys what you'd say the 10 top jazz albums are for someone looking to learn about the idiom - and about how to construct a solid walking line. We're talking about classic jazz, 'cool' period I guess, but some BeBop too.  While I love the sound of the electric bass, these have to be records that feature an upright.

The more the merrier as I'll pass the list on (and use it myself too, naturally).

Links to transcriptions (not tab) would be doubly fantastic too...

I'll take this opportunity to plug some of my (slightly atypical) favourites which just don't get enough love IMO:

Miles Davis - Tutu : its Miles, it's Marcus, it's smooth and dark and delightfully weird. Late 80s synth cliches abound, so maybe not for everyone.

Weather Report - Heavy Weather : I always play 'Havona' to someone who's curious about jazz, it'll either click or it won't but either way, it leaves in impression. Absolutely essential.

David Torn - Cloud About Mercury : I blind bought this based on the surreal cover art and all star supporting cast (Levin, Bruford, Isham) with no idea what to expect. It's a kind of world-influenced fusion with very tasteful shred guitar and a ton of atmosphere. Floored me at the first listen and it's been a firm favourite ever since.

Ralph Towner - Solstice : the first proper foray I made into more experimental jazz outside of your Kind of Blue, Somethin' Else etc. The opening track swept me away from the first note. Like the rest of this list, it was and still is really unlike anything I've ever heard.

• Like 1

Kind of Blue - Miles Davis

Birth of the Cool - Miles Davis

Time Out - The Dave Brubeck Quartet

Brilliant Corners - Thelonious Monk

Return to Forever - Chick Corea

The Shape of Jazz to Come - Ornette Coleman

Ellington at Newport - Duke Ellington

Getz/Gilberto - Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto

Mingus Ah Um - Charles Mingus

Saxophone Colossus - Sonny Rollins

Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderley

Speak No Evil - Wayne Shorter

Maiden Voyage - Herbie Hancock

Out to Lunch - Eric

Go - Dexter Gordon

• Like 7

The first one that came to mind was Time Out, but that's already mentioned above. While I love Mingus's Ah Um, the Mingus album I listen to most isn't a proper Mingus album. I'm not a huge Jazzer so I don't know if that's sacrilege or not.  But Nostalgia in Times Square by the Mingus Big Band (a bit of a Widow approved tribute band/official custodians of his back catalogue type thing), is a wonderful collection of music IMO.

• Like 2

Winning the internet so far. Thanks for the list Frank, I'll use this as the basis and keep adding.

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

Kind of Blue - Miles Davis

Birth of the Cool - Miles Davis

Time Out - The Dave Brubeck Quartet

Brilliant Corners - Thelonious Monk

Return to Forever - Chick Corea

The Shape of Jazz to Come - Ornette Coleman

Ellington at Newport - Duke Ellington

Getz/Gilberto - Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto

Mingus Ah Um - Charles Mingus

Saxophone Colossus - Sonny Rollins

Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderley

Speak No Evil - Wayne Shorter

Maiden Voyage - Herbie Hancock

Out to Lunch - Eric

Go - Dexter Gordon

Back in 1992 a good friend of mine told me my jazz bass playing was too conservative so gave me this album on vinyl to listen to....Doesn't matter if you're sober or not when you listen to it!! Otherwise - for something a bit more accessible try anything by George Melly..✌️

I guess it depends on what you mean by Jazz. A lot of stuff listed here is fusion, Jazz rock or Jazz funk which is one thing whilst more purist forms of Jazz may be what is needed in terms of the op's need for exposure. In a nutshell, at this early stage, more is more!! 

• Like 1

Just now, Bilbo said:

I guess it depends on what you mean by Jazz. A lot of stuff listed here is fusion, Jazz rock or Jazz funk which is one thing whilst more purist forms of Jazz may be what is needed in terms of the op's need for exposure. In a nutshell, at this early stage, more is more!! 

Hi Bilbo, I hoped I was clear in the intro, but to restate what I was asking was:

• Albums featuring the iconic recorded versions of classic jazz standards you may be asked to play on a session (and be expected to know)
  • Be played on upright bass (not electric)
  • Be traditional in form (i.e. not jazz funk, fusion etc.)

It's just a bit of fun, so all the replies are really useful and I'll point the chap at it. Frank's list so far fulfils the criteria most closely as to what I'd consider (in my limited knowledge) to be what I'm looking for. Overall though, it's just a good place to share jazz knowledge.

I don't like jazz by and large but as they say there are always exceptions. Among the few jazz albums I have which I rate highly are

The Sidewinder by Lee Morgan  -  touches of groovy soul jazz with hard bop

Red Clay by Freddie Hubbard - hard bop with a soul jazz funky vibe

Still Warm, Groove Elation and A Go Go by Jon Scofield - guitar led with laid back funky feel

• Like 1

Just now, Barking Spiders said:

I don't like jazz by and large but as they say there are always exceptions. Among the few jazz albums I have which I rate highly are

The Sidewinder by Lee Morgan  -  touches of groovy soul jazz with hard bop

Red Clay by Freddie Hubbard - hard bop with a soul jazz funky vibe

Still Warm, Groove Elation and A Go Go by Jon Scofield - guitar led with laid back funky feel

I like the soulful stuff you've listed here. I think jazz can appear something of an enigma until you understand it (not that I'm saying you don't - merely I personally didn't appreciate it until I understood the theory). Now I do I can appreciate it, but it takes some time to love it, whereas with other music I come to an opinion much sooner. But I've learned that investing in music is worth it, even persevering with albums I disliked for a few listens.