Why become a member? ×

What router do you use?

Guest Marcoelwray

Guest Marcoelwray

Hi folks

My router is an old Elu (now DeWalt, was made in Switzerland), working nice but starts to get very old and like you probably know, such a machine as to work perfectly to be not dangerous. It's a 600W only, diving is 40mm only, and I have to look after 6mm bits as it doesn't take the now standard 8mm.

A friend of mine keep telling me that I should buy a Festool, but prices are abusive and I think you pay for a professional service I don't need. 

I know that a Swiss luthier uses Bosch, that some french luthiers use "cheap" ones (allows to have several for different uses or spares). Personally, I think I'd go for a middle one. I recently bought a driller Worx which I'm really happy about. So as they offer a 5 year warranty, I think this model looks really nice;

https://worx-europe.com/fr-be/shop/en-general-be/tous-les-produits-be/fraiseuse-worx-1-500-w-wx15rt-2/

55mm dive, 1500W, 8mm bits, electronic speed control...

And you, what do you use?

Guest Marcoelwray
1 minute ago, Jimothey said:

I use the Trend T10 which is 1/2" for the routing of the shape of the body's and a Trend T4 which is 1/4" and a Bosch Trim router for everything else...... 😀 

I don't know the brand but looks like expensive at first look. So 3 routers... 

I have to admit that the day I wil be sure of the definitive shape of my bodies, I may use a router to have a certain constistancy. BUT, I kinda like the "I can't do twice the same bass" thing because I'm working with a bandsaw. Not really pro, but I'm not a pro...

6 minutes ago, Marcoelwray said:

I don't know the brand but looks like expensive at first look. So 3 routers... 

I have to admit that the day I wil be sure of the definitive shape of my bodies, I may use a router to have a certain constistancy. BUT, I kinda like the "I can't do twice the same bass" thing because I'm working with a bandsaw. Not really pro, but I'm not a pro...

I only use 3 because I already had them as I'm a Carpenter by trade

Trend are a good make and you can get parts for them really easily

Guest Marcoelwray
2 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I only use 3 because I already had them as I'm a Carpenter by trade

Trend are a good make and you can get parts for them really easily

Of course, it helps

For larger jobs I use my old DeWalt DW613. For lighter jobs I use my new Makita RT0700. The Makita doesn't have a plunge function, but being a smaller and lighter router, it is much easier to handle without becoming fatigued. I don't think there are many guitar building tasks that I couldn't tackle with the Makita

20180115_203150.thumb.jpg.743ae410ab0d56a0446d31581ab833ac.jpg

I have two Elu 177Es that I've had since the late 80s, I have to say that they have been two of the best tools I've ever bought, if either of them ever break I would replace them like for like again, either in the DeWalt or Trend incarnations. The first I bought was the Mk1 version which is still original whereas the Mk2 which was supposed to fix the Mk1 motor problems ironically  has been rebuilt many times. I also have a Triton something or other in a router table

IMG_3955.thumb.jpg.47dc13760d2d82e5a370af938faed8b2.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Marcoelwray

@Christine quality tools too, so... Mine is the smallest model of ELU, the MOF 96, and I suspect the main axle to be a little loose... Every time I start it, I'm afraid it explodes.

Router-Elu-MOF-96-600W-24000-RPM-SPARES.

Triton looks like a really good brand and when reading some comparatives, this brand is always quoted in top five's.

But I think I'd go for the Worx anyway, price is really competitive, and with 5 years of warranty....

I found the 96 very loud, someone who worked  for me had one and it was awful to listen to when  you weren't using it but a very good tool. If the main spindle/axle is lose just get the bearings changed, way cheaper than a new one and it would be hard to get a better machine at the cost

Guest Marcoelwray

@Christine

I could. But both axles (the two metal things you put on the stand) are damaged. Copying thing miss one screw. The bit holder (sorry I don't know the right English terms) are damaged so it becomes difficult to tighten correctly the bits. It takes only 6mm.... I think it worths not so much spare parts....

Guest Marcoelwray

What bother me the most is the 600W.... Sometimes I heard it slowing down in hard wood.

I'm not going to throw this one to junkyard, but keep it in case of. The Worx is about 150 euros with a discount... Not so much...

I have an old Makita 3608B without a plunge function, it's 500w and is still going strong after close on 40 years. (Got it in '81 from memory.) I have a 20 year old "cheapy" Craftech 900w plunge router which has served me well too. The old Makita has a large knurled collar right around the body that adjusts and locks the depth and I must admit I like using it, I suppose I learned how to use a router with that little Makita and it was my only option for so many years. Prior to getting that router my only power tools were a Black and Decker drill and a Makita jig saw, all of my early guitars and basses were made with those and hand tools.

13 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

@Christine

I could. But both axles (the two metal things you put on the stand) are damaged. Copying thing miss one screw. The bit holder (sorry I don't know the right English terms) are damaged so it becomes difficult to tighten correctly the bits. It takes only 6mm.... I think it worths not so much spare parts....

If you think it's past it  then consider one of these https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/trend-t11ek-2000w-1-2-variable-speed-workshop-router-230v?gclid=Cj0KCQiA1NbhBRCBARIsAKOTmUtalKJijrirN72eWQOxqJAuDAYskVGeQ80Mj7KCLq3uNqWcQzD-QCUaArBgEALw_wcB

It's the same as I have and it's what I'd buy if mine ever break, it's everything you could need in a router and even has a fine adjuster for mounting in a router table

Guest Marcoelwray
12 minutes ago, Christine said:

Save is all I can say, I couldn't manage without mine and I wouldn't swap for a Festool router at any price in preference. My Triton in comparison is a toy.

Yep I know, I know, but I have a whole house to renew/rebuild, I have to buy a lot of others tools, materials, etc... I really can't spend too much in my passion, unfortunately.

Guest Marcoelwray

I just went into the store and took the Worx in my hands. If the overall looking is solid and pro, details (and accessories) are lame (of course, at this price...). I will not go for this solution.

I compared with the Bosh POF1400, it looks stinky poo (I mean, like a toy) but details are more precise (all these little parts, you know...)

I'm a bit confused, I don't think I'll go for the Bosch neither. @Christine that Trend looks cheap (just aesthetics) but the accessories seems to be real quality ! (Collet, Vaccum tube, ....)

Honestly I don't know what to do. I just hope my Elu MOF96 will hold on for this bass (I have a lot to rout yet). For my house which is proritary on the bass bulding, I'll go for cheap Worx tools with 5 years warranty, I don't need precise tools. But I need almost everything because I just have nothing.

I'm still open to opinions but at least this thread made me learn about TREND. For now, let's pray that the Elu will be still alive for the pickup covers, the pickup routing, the bridge routing, the electronic cavity routing.

Honestly the trend is the same as the Dewalt which is the same as my Elu, it is a solid tool. Mine have been hammered over the years, there were four of us using them constantly for maybe 15 years. Remember a good router is useful for much much more than making guitars,think of it as an investment in the house as well as the workshop. It is accurate,very powerful,can be depth adjusted very accurately easily, tool changes are quick and it will fit a multitude of jigs, most of which were designed around that router initially.

I have a cheapo router from lidl.

I bought it because i wanted to build one (yes,one,1) bass and no more (yes,NO more,0)

Poor me..i fidnt knew it..i have build threbasses already.Even the torzal twist is made by this cheap router.

But this month i will buy a stayer pr10ek.

1800watt and 12mm shank.For all the heavy works

I've got the same router as Christine, Trend T11.  In a million years it will still be creating sawdust while the cockroaches make copies of vintage Fenders.  And being able to adjust the height through the table is great - I would never buy a large router without this feature. 

Unless you want a smaller palm-type router in which I case I very strong recommend the DeWalt D26200:

https://www.axminster.co.uk/dewalt-d26204k-2-in-1-router-1-4-ax847127?sel=952707

If you can only afford one, then I would go for the DeWalt.  I think it is the single best-designed piece of machinery I own.  Easily powerful enough to do every job in guitar building (if you take the body routing in multiple passes), and if you can afford it the kit which includes the plunge base is definitely the way to go.  It is waaaay better than the Bosch Colt palm router thingy that the Americans seem to love.  The DeWalt is proper quality, with a fine depth adjustment system that is better than anything else I have seen.