Why become a member? ×

Software and Interface

danny-79

I’ll keep it short but basically I was luck enough to get a nice new laptop for Christmas. So I’m looking for I don’t know what. I need education. What I’m wanting to do is to be able to plug my bass/guitar into my computer and have some sort of recording software that will allow me to record ideas and forward them onto band members. It doesn’t have to be pro level gear. Of course if the software has rough drum tracks and the option of the odd effect here and there bonus. 

I really don’t know what I want or need or what it’s likely to cost so any replys you are talking to mr clueless in this department so please be gentle 😜

thanks in advance 

Edited by danny-79

52 minutes ago, danny-79 said:

...thanks in advance 

Keeping it short, there are two things you'll 'need' for doing this. The first is an interface between the instrument and the laptop, the second is a Digital Audio Workstation (abbreviated to 'DAW'...); a programme that'll take what comes through the interface and record it onto your hard disk.
Taking the interface first, have a look at this one, to give you some idea; it's a popular one which will do the job very well...

Scarlett 2i2 Interface ...

Once you've looked at that one, have a look at similar ones and choose one that suits you and your pocket.
For a DAW, have a look at this one ...

Reaper DAW ...

Similarly, when you've read through that, look at others of the same sort and see if you're still inspired.
You may have other questions once you've done that, but you'll get answers here. There is an excellent '101' guide in the Recording section of the Forum, here ...

The Beginner's Guide to Home Recording
...which is recommended reading.

Detail stuff, such as cables for connecting, which connection system (USB, Thunderbolt, other tripe...) will be dealt with as and when the situation calls for it.

There, short enough..? Hope this helps. B|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Keeping it short, there are two things you'll 'need' for doing this. The first is an interface between the instrument and the laptop, the second is a Digital Audio Workstation (abbreviated to 'DAW'...); a programme that'll take what comes through the interface and record it onto your hard disk.
Taking the interface first, have a look at this one, to give you some idea; it's a popular one which will do the job very well...

Scarlett 2i2 Interface ...

Once you've looked at that one, have a look at similar ones and choose one that suits you and your pocket.
For a DAW, have a look at this one ...

Reaper DAW ...

Similarly, when you've read through that, look at others of the same sort and see if you're still inspired.
You may have other questions once you've done that, but you'll get answers here. There is an excellent '101' guide in the Recording section of the Forum, here ...

The Beginner's Guide to Home Recording
...which is recommended reading.

Detail stuff, such as cables for connecting, which connection system (USB, Thunderbolt, other tripe...) will be dealt with as and when the situation calls for it.

There, short enough..? Hope this helps. B|

Thank you. I’ll get on with reading ASAP. Thanks for your help 

If you've used a DAW (recording software) before, then try all 3.  If you haven't, then choose one & learn it.  They're all good.

If Traction comes with the drums, then I'd go with that one.  Reaper has a bit of a learning curve & set up process & doesn't come with much in the way of instruments & fx, but once you learn it, it's pretty good.  You can get instruments & effects for any DAW (known as VSTs).  You'll find plenty of free ones as well as ones you have to pay for.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, xgsjx said:

If you've used a DAW (recording software) before, then try all 3.  If you haven't, then choose one & learn it.  They're all good.

If Traction comes with the drums, then I'd go with that one.  Reaper has a bit of a learning curve & set up process & doesn't come with much in the way of instruments & fx, but once you learn it, it's pretty good.  You can get instruments & effects for any DAW (known as VSTs).  You'll find plenty of free ones as well as ones you have to pay for.

Tracktion doesn't bring those drums, they are free to download. 

I have used the 3 DAWS (Reaper is my main DAW) and to be honest Tracktion is the one that will get him going in no time. Cakewalk and Reaper have a bigger learning curve. And Cakewalk only works with Win10 64bits.

• Like 2

^ Good responses above.

Can’t go wrong with Focusrite for audio interfaces. They offer great products for small/home studios (the Solo, 2i2 and 2i4) right up to multiple i/o interfaces for pros. I previously owned a 2i4 and loved it: a rock solid interface with very low latency and super-easy to set up. Quite literally plug and play on a Mac. There are cheaper alternatives, but Focusrite is money well spent.

For DAW software, there are lots of options and as mentioned already. They all essentially do the same thing - but in different ways - and they all require some commitment to get past the initial learning curve. Here’s a useful summary of the most popular DAWs from 2018 for reference:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/best-studio-gear/1211889-10-most-popular-daws-right-now.html

Most of them are available as free demos. Best advice is to shortlist a few, try the demos (using YouTube tutorials to get started) and pick whichever you feel most at home with. This will take a little patience, but it’s time well spent and will help to avoid frustration further down the line. Once you’ve made your choice, stick with it and learn it well. You want to reach the point at which using the software becomes second-nature. The time commitment involved is very similar to learning a musical instrument - with enough practice you can stop thinking about where the notes are just focus on expressing yourself.

I have experience of using Reason, Reaper, Cubase, Ableton, Logic (Mac only) and Maschine; and eventually settled on Reason and Maschine as my tools of choice (with Logic being a close contender). But take that with a pinch of salt, as what works for me may be unsuited to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought a Steingberg U12 which came bundled with a version of Cubase, just because that's what I used to use on my Atari when I was a young 'un. It keeps offering me a 50 Euro (approx £50 nowadays🤣) upgrade, but for my purposes (Rough Drum/Bass/Guitar tracks for the band to develop) the free version that came with the interface is plenty. It pretty much sets itself up when I switch it on, so is dead simple to work with. I also ended up buying a cheap midi controller keyboard to just for ease of using the VSTs, drumkits, whatever, that came with it.

• Thanks 1

On 06/01/2019 at 23:55, danny-79 said:

I’ll keep it short but basically I was luck enough to get a nice new laptop for Christmas. So I’m looking for I don’t know what. I need education. What I’m wanting to do is to be able to plug my bass/guitar into my computer and have some sort of recording software that will allow me to record ideas and forward them onto band members. It doesn’t have to be pro level gear. Of course if the software has rough drum tracks and the option of the odd effect here and there bonus. 

I really don’t know what I want or need or what it’s likely to cost so any replys you are talking to mr clueless in this department so please be gentle 😜

thanks in advance 

I've been using Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 1st gen for 5 years. Compatible with Windows 7, 10 and I believe with Mac(although I've no experience with Mac).

Interface usually comes with a free DAW (recording software) and other free plug ins.

I have no experience with any other interface but I can't fault focusrite 2i2. Recorded in excess of 40 of my own songs from punk, rock, metal, acoustics, electronic, some pop. It's a reliable and quality built product.

Do your research first as there are lots of great products and each may come with extra DAW etc.

As for DAW I occasionally use Audacity to slow diwn songs or devide left and right channel.

I tried free version of Reaper but dudnt like it.

As dad3353 said there is a thread on subject.

• Thanks 1

From the feedback on here, Focusrite make decent interfaces & Dannybuoy’s 2i2 sounds like a safe bet. 

I looked at several interfaces & opted for the Native Instruments KA6, as it had more of what I need. It’s a solid built device with 4 audio inputs, midi in/out & spdif in/out, all in a compact package.  Sound quality is very good too. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, danny-79 said:

Windows. (Don’t know what version. It was new at Christmas and It’s still in its box.....)

If it's a new PC then we can only assume it's Win 10, now the main question is what version (32 bits or 64bits). To make use of more than 4 gb ram you need 64bits.

This means that if your win10 is 32 bits and you have let's say 16gb ram installed you will only be using 4gb ram.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, danny-79 said:

Windows. (Don’t know what version. It was new at Christmas and It’s still in its box.....)

Cool. My suggestion on the DAW side of things is to go with something that can support you should you wish to take your production further. Whilst Tracktion is a decent starter, IMO it's limited in scope. For what it's worth, on PC, I think your best options are Reaper or Cubase (my personal opinion is that Pro Tools on Windows is not good). Reaper is free to try indefinitely (with popups) and very cheap to buy a licence. Cubase LE is cheap and available on a free trial. Both these are scalable to match what you want to do all the way from amateur to professional stuff. 
I understand you're only starting out, but nothing worse than getting to a point with a piece of free software, and upon wanting to go further, having to adopt new software. Seems like a problem that is easily circumnavigated when the better software options also have free/very cheap entry points.

For transparency, I work for Focusrite, so I won't comment on the interface choices :)

Si

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mcgiver69 said:

If it's a new PC then we can only assume it's Win 10, now the main question is what version (32 bits or 64bits). To make use of more than 4 gb ram you need 64bits.

This means that if your win10 is 32 bits and you have let's say 16gb ram installed you will only be using 4gb ram.

If it's new out of the box (and not a super dirt-cheap laptop), then I suspect it will be 64bit, I think Microsoft only really rolled out 32bit as the upgrade from 7/8.1 as it was possible that some hardware wouldn't be up to 64bit at that point.
Always worth checking though as you mention!

Si

• Thanks 1

the way I do it, on the cheap, is plug in the mic, bass, whatever into my mic input on my laptop, I've made a  home made box to be able to record two tracks at once, stereo left and right, and convert 6.3mm jacks to a stereo mini jack, and record using Audacity, works fine just for demos 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone who has given advice so far. I’m reading and doing as much research as possible.

I’m going to be setting new laptop up soon as get chance (looking forward to that about as much as I’m dreading it 😜) and on the look for an interface next stop. Headphones or stereo (I’ve got a decent hifi but as I’ve read not ideal for recording purposes as it will tend to cover up things you might want to adjust but I’m guessing that I’m light years away from being able to tell the difference so all good for now)

im I right in saying that most brought new interfaces will come with some sort of get you started DAW ? 

Anouthe bit of software worth a look is Ableton. You get a lite version of it for free. 

If you’re doing this just to chuck ideas down, then just use your hifi to play through. If you’re going to be making demos or producing music, then a set of studio headphones, monitors or both. 

For headphones, superlux 688b are great value, though after 3 years my plug has become iffy (but they were only £30).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, danny-79 said:

im I right in saying that most brought new interfaces will come with some sort of get you started DAW ? 

This is usually correct, however definitely check in each case,

Si

Edited by Sibob