Why become a member? ×

Software and Interface

danny-79

For your requirements maybe consider a Yamaha THR 10 .
It is an interface and practice amp in one and comes with Cubase . ( Cubase is owned by Yamaha now ). The 10 model is more expensive but has presets for bass . Plus it can run off batteries , which compliments the beauty of a laptop .

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I’ve now got an interface. 

Focusrite 2i2 that came with a loads of software (apparently)(see photo for list) I’ve just spent the whole day trying to download it all so it’s on computer ready and not had much luck with it to be honest. The protools I’ve had to uninstall, it just kept asking me for license and redirecting me to other sites. The Ableton seems to look simpler (at least it opens) 

really not had a good day with it. Can anyone recommend me something simple. I have ZERO experience or knowledge in this field, all I want to be able to do is add parts to tracks that have been emailed to me by band. Add my part what ever that may be and send it back. 

Switched it off for today head scrambled 😂🤕😪🤪

8D0C7A80-C28B-4BD6-88E0-9E5BF91C71FC.jpeg

2 hours ago, danny-79 said:

Ok so I’ve now got an interface. 

Focusrite 2i2 that came with a loads of software (apparently)(see photo for list) I’ve just spent the whole day trying to download it all so it’s on computer ready and not had much luck with it to be honest. The protools I’ve had to uninstall, it just kept asking me for license and redirecting me to other sites. The Ableton seems to look simpler (at least it opens) 

really not had a good day with it. Can anyone recommend me something simple. I have ZERO experience or knowledge in this field, all I want to be able to do is add parts to tracks that have been emailed to me by band. Add my part what ever that may be and send it back. 

Switched it off for today head scrambled 😂🤕😪🤪

8D0C7A80-C28B-4BD6-88E0-9E5BF91C71FC.jpeg

I have faced similiar issues to download and getting started. Eventually I ended up watching tutorial  You Tube videos regarding Ableton live. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SH73 said:

I have faced similiar issues to download and getting started. Eventually I ended up watching tutorial  You Tube videos regarding Ableton live. 

That’s definitely the way forward. 

Also been advised to download Reaper and try that one. 

47 minutes ago, SH73 said:

I once downloaded Reaper but didn't get on with it. I've been using free version of Ableton Live lite that came with Focusrite scarlet 2i2 some years ago. Can't fault it.

I’ve kept that one (ableton) on my computer but removed and deleted the pro tools as it wouldn’t open properly and the amount of licenses with it, not worth the hassle. It’s designed for Mac so bound to be problems. 

Just watching YouTube vids. Lots of them. Plus band guitarist uses Reaper so will have a learning session with him at some point. 

Eager to learn I’m just not computer literate in any way. Very basic stuff, emails, forums, loading car iPod etc. 

5 minutes ago, danny-79 said:

I’ve kept that one (ableton) on my computer but removed and deleted the pro tools as it wouldn’t open properly and the amount of licenses with it, not worth the hassle. It’s designed for Mac so bound to be problems. 

Just watching YouTube vids. Lots of them. Plus band guitarist uses Reaper so will have a learning session with him at some point. 

Eager to learn I’m just not computer literate in any way. Very basic stuff, emails, forums, loading car iPod etc. 

I agree on pro tools. It came free with my new audio interface. It requires too much registration. I can only talk from my experience. I have used Ableton for recording heavy guitar riffs and bass either mic'd up or direct in the box with great results. I've learnt by trial and error.  First I hated it but now I can't get enough. The recording, mixing and mastering possibilities are endless. One disadvantage of free Ableton live lite is that you only get 8 tracks to work with. It'll come with time.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, danny-79 said:

If you are planning to use Reaper, go to Youtube and search for ReaperMania, there you'll find every single instruction you'll ever need. The instructions are simple and explained in detail by Kenny Giogia. Or you can always go here, these are taken from Kenny's channel https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mcgiver69 said:

If you are planning to use Reaper, go to Youtube and search for ReaperMania, there you'll find every single instruction you'll ever need. The instructions are simple and explained in detail by Kenny Giogia. Or you can always go here, these are taken from Kenny's channel https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

Thanks. I did a random YouTube search earlier and found one on Reaper, not sure who it was but it’s got me started. So much more to learn but compared to yesterday’s feeling of complete failure today has been a good one. Used the YouTube vid to get me started then just started fiddling with it, favourite so far.

i was using guitar just for convenience and started messing with effects. There didn’t seem to be many and the ones that are there are basic. (I know I’m getting well ahead of myself lol 😂)

I tried a bunch of sequencers / DAWs out when I first got started around 2002. I could not get my head around Cubase and stuck to Acid and Fruity Loops. Later on a new Windows only product came along called Sonar and I found it incredibly powerful yet easy to use.

Fast forward many years, Cakewalk were no longer developing Sonar so I tried the often recommended Reaper. Like Cubase I could not get to grips with it very easily. I'm sure if I sat down and took time to read the manual properly I would figure it out, but with Sonar I could figure out everything I needed without having to look stuff up.

Now Sonar lives on as Cakewalk by Bandlab and the best part is it's now free:

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Saying that, Bandlab's main product is a free online collaborative DAW. Might be worth giving this a shot too if it's easy to record and share the project with your bandmates online:

https://www.bandlab.com/creation-features

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

I tried a bunch of sequencers / DAWs out when I first got started around 2002. I could not get my head around Cubase and stuck to Acid and Fruity Loops. Later on a new Windows only product came along called Sonar and I found it incredibly powerful yet easy to use.

Fast forward many years, Cakewalk were no longer developing Sonar so I tried the often recommended Reaper. Like Cubase I could not get to grips with it very easily. I'm sure if I sat down and took time to read the manual properly I would figure it out, but with Sonar I could figure out everything I needed without having to look stuff up.

Now Sonar lives on as Cakewalk by Bandlab and the best part is it's now free:

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Saying that, Bandlab's main product is a free online collaborative DAW. Might be worth giving this a shot too if it's easy to record and share the project with your bandmates online:

https://www.bandlab.com/creation-features

Cheers I’ll take a look 

14 hours ago, Mcgiver69 said:

I still think you should give Tracktion a go, for all you have said you want to do it is just more than enough.

Check out this mini tutorial which is very helpful.

Now that you are trying different DAWs to make up your mind it will be good you give it a go.

Thanks. I’ll check it out

PLEASE tell me you installed Windows 10 64 bit, please

I'm recording on a windows 32 bit laptop and it isn't ideal, glitches, and you can only use 4Gb of RAM on 32 bit. But I bought the computer before I had a need to record onto it.

Reaper is a fully featured DAW,with all built in effects, for $60 for a multi-year license, and the BEST forum support of any product ever.

• Thanks 1

Even if you install something like Reaper, if you have no former knowledge (ie transferable skills) of a DAW, then you'll want to get into the habit of watching tutorials and Googling certain processes.

With regards to setup, I've never had an issue with setting up Pro Tools First, however I am on a Mac.....I've not tried specifically on PC.
I think as I've said before, if you're looking at band type demos, then I would look at Reaper or Cubase LE, because they're the products that will support you moving forward, Reaper is fully featured, and Cubase has upgrade paths. My opinion of Tracktion is that it's fine, but isn't as fully featured as Reaper and you will eventually have to relearn another DAW if you outgrow it. But obviously each to their own.

If you should have any further issues setting anything up, please do give the Focusrite tech support team a call/email/live chat. They're there to help you at any part of the process, including software setup, especially helpful if the issue stopping you doing what you need to do is simply a Windows option (more common than you think) as opposed to anything in the box or what you're doing:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Si // Focusrite Media Relations

• Thanks 1

On 28/01/2019 at 14:49, bazzbass said:

PLEASE tell me you installed Windows 10 64 bit, please

I'm recording on a windows 32 bit laptop and it isn't ideal, glitches, and you can only use 4Gb of RAM on 32 bit. But I bought the computer before I had a need to record onto it.

Reaper is a fully featured DAW,with all built in effects, for $60 for a multi-year license, and the BEST forum support of any product ever.

Yes it’s definitely the 64 version 

56 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Even if you install something like Reaper, if you have no former knowledge (ie transferable skills) of a DAW, then you'll want to get into the habit of watching tutorials and Googling certain processes.

With regards to setup, I've never had an issue with setting up Pro Tools First, however I am on a Mac.....I've not tried specifically on PC.
I think as I've said before, if you're looking at band type demos, then I would look at Reaper or Cubase LE, because they're the products that will support you moving forward, Reaper is fully featured, and Cubase has upgrade paths. My opinion of Tracktion is that it's fine, but isn't as fully featured as Reaper and you will eventually have to relearn another DAW if you outgrow it. But obviously each to their own.

If you should have any further issues setting anything up, please do give the Focusrite tech support team a call/email/live chat. They're there to help you at any part of the process, including software setup, especially helpful if the issue stopping you doing what you need to do is simply a Windows option (more common than you think) as opposed to anything in the box or what you're doing:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Si // Focusrite Media Relations

I think that’s the best move. I’m just watching tutorials every time I see the need to do something and can’t figure it out