Why become a member? ×

No Prices On New Guitars in PMT

Shambo

So I went into PMT which was the first time in a month, I was in bristol on my own as my wife was off looking round some show thing. I wandered around lookng at stuff, when I wandered into the bass section as people mentioned, there were no prices on anything, and it occured to me how little it makes me want to look at stuff. Looking briefly at the wall with the fenders, because I had a sort of interest in one of those player jazzes, I didn't know what they were, they were all there, the all looked the same. Without prices I couldn't see if anything looked interesting. So I left and went and looked round the keyboards (that mostly did have prices).

I don't often go into PMT in Norwich as I'm not keen on the atmosphere but I did today and majority of the basses and amps didn't have pricing, telling me to enquire at the till. I'm not in the position to buy gear but if I was, it would have put me off.

I was in the Leeds PMT today, and whilst some of the basses had price tags, the majority didn’t. Only the really cheap guitars were priced too, very strange policy. On some there were labels saying to ask at the till for today’s best price, which may imply they are fluctuating on a very regular basis, which doesn’t instill confidence in the sale for me. I enquired about a digital piano which they said were on display - this turned out to mean were packed in their cardboard boxes halfway up the stairs. Also my query on prices of mic stands got very confusing too, at which point I’d had enough and left. And people wonder why internet shopping is so popular. Hey, I tried.🤨

On 06/01/2019 at 19:44, Shambo said:

I popped into my local PMT store in Bristol this afternoon, purely for a bit of a browse. As I wandered into the bass room I noticed that none of the instruments had prices on them. They all said to ask at the till for the best price.

They're a very friendly bunch in there and, when I was asked if I wanted to try anything, I said no thanks, then remarked about the lack of prices. This was the cue for a long one sided speech to everyone within earshot about the volatility of guitar prices at the moment, making it practically impossible to keep the pricing on the tags up to date.

I'll be honest and say now that I almost immediately started to glaze over, but I picked up something about Amazon complaints, accusations of price fixing, PMT working in cahoots with other large music retailers, bricks & mortar overheads and non-commital distributors . The guy was obviously a little wound up about the whole situation and unfortunately I wasn't the most empathetic person he could have picked to listen to him vent.

I had at first just assumed the lack of prices was a sales ploy to get a potential customer to engage with the salesman, but after hearing the guys empassioned description of the situation, it got me to wondering (only a little admittedly) about the troubles music retailers might be having in these uncertain times.

As I slowly meandered towards the exit, I noticed none of the skinny stringers had prices either. No prices on any guitars in PMT.

Is this the new normal?

In Italy it's not even legal.

1 hour ago, 12stringbassist said:

That won't work for a lot of their Fender guitars, as there are more variations than is sensible and identifying them. Is a pain. 

It is - price is the only thing that really identifies them. I go in thinking, well, I am sort of interested in a player series jazz bass. I don't know much about fenders, they all look similar. I have a budget of around £600 ish, so what is in that bracket. <looks> oh.. so nothing then.

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

It is - price is the only thing that really identifies them. I go in thinking, well, I am sort of interested in a player series jazz bass. I don't know much about fenders, they all look similar. I have a budget of around £600 ish, so what is in that bracket. <looks> oh.. so nothing then.

Exactly - and then look at PRSs - they all look broadly the same (which is sort of the point) but vary so much in price.

It's a very silly idea. 

I posted quite early on in this thread saying I thought it was a bit of a pain but you can check prices online with a smartphone, and they advertise that they’ll price match, etc.  Having been in a few times for a browse recently, on the lookout for a new bass but not in any hurry, I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s a complete pain in the backside and it’s really put me off bothering.  If you’re after something specific and can recognise it then that’s fine, but I really can’t be bothered to keep asking about stuff that looks interesting but I don’t know exactly what it is.

6 hours ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

If you’re after something specific and can recognise it then that’s fine, but I really can’t be bothered to keep asking about stuff that looks interesting but I don’t know exactly what it is.

I can't be bothered to ask the first time, rather than keep asking. If it doesn't have a price I obviously can't afford it.

As showing a price is clearly stated to be a legal requirement at https://www.gov.uk/product-labelling-the-law surely some public-spirited customer of any shop following this practise should report them to their local Trading Standards?

I did go into a shop before Christmas and asked to try an Ibanez 6-string (AS53, a 335 copy). I asked the price out of curiosity (it wasn't marked) and it was significantly cheaper than I expected for the build quality so I bought it. The shop owner was very surprised and spent some time looking for a price (all the other guitars had one). I was surprised but he went on his phone to find a price! Later I was having a coffee in Costa and looked up the reviews to see what a lemon I have been ripped off for... turned out the guitar gets almost universal 5-star reviews and the price I paid matched the cheapest I could find it on line.

So I highly recommend RIver Music in Ross on Wye.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

3 hours ago, Stu-khag said:

I’ve been put off by pmt as the few things I have tried have been straight from the box and needed quite a bit of adjusting.  This puts me of buying completely.

Always surprises me how many shops don't understand the best way to sell a guitar is to have it set up properly. It may seem expensive to do, but many shops have someone who happily works through the new guitars during the quiet periods. I was in a local shop and someone was re-stringing and setting up a real cheapie, I overheard the owner saying to them that it will get someone started without spending a lot - I like the attitude that it's worth setting up every guitar so even a raw beginner gets a decent start.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It always was that a displayed price was an 'invitation to treat', thus saving shops of the bother of  charging the stated price if it was wrong -

- if this has changed, perhaps someone could point me to the appropriate links - I've read the above link, but I remain unconvinced as to where

the 'invitation to treat' stuff is 'now' unlawful..........

😎

IANAL, but the invitation to treat etc still applies. It is, however, inadvisable to attempt to haggle over the price of items bought from a supermarket. There are a couple of exemptions - antiques, good sold at auction, products provided as part of a service. Having done literally minutes of research into this, there doesn't seem to be any way that it's legal not to price up instruments in PMT, either individually or with a price list (although they might be getting round this by having prices available online - the requirement seems to be that you can find the price without asking a member of staff).

https://www.lawdonut.co.uk/business/marketing-and-selling/consumer-protection/unfair-trading-trade-descriptions-and-pricing-faqs#UTTDP12 says, in part: "More generally, failing to display prices could constitute unfair trading if the omission is likely to affect how customers behave. For example, customers might not choose to use your service if they knew in advance how much it would cost."

• Thanks 2

On 09/01/2019 at 20:42, LukeFRC said:

I was in there before Christmas- it was odd but surprisingly liberating. It was quiet, the assistant was nice enough - I went in to try one jazz bass and ended up trying about six basses I had no intention of buying. I could point at the custom shop P and ask if I could give it a try. It was nice, though not £3k nice! Got to try one of the new rays and a sandberg too as the assistant suggested it and, heck you’re not telling me I can’t afford this then why not. (V nice Ray) 

the only odd thing was the lack of nice amps- but anyway...

If I ran a shop that was always going to be undercut, but was the only place to try the real things then you’ll get s load of folk coming in to try and then buy elsewhere. The only difference you have is customer service- and by forcing the conversation about price you start the sales conversation- if I had gone in with money to buy a bass I dare say I would have bought that stingray - because it was nice and the assistant had facilitated a good experience for me...

This. I've bought 2 basses from PMT Leeds and a few other bits over the past few years. I have always given them a crack at a deal and 9 times out of 10 they match or beat it slightly. I get to play new toys when I go in and when I'm ready to buy I'll do my homework online then see what the store can do. And they know this so I'm grateful for having a retailer nearby where I can try the goods.

That tobacco burst MM in there - not a huge fan of the look but lovely to play. I'll take the lot.

what you should've done, is stand in the bass section with a bass in hand, and yell out "excuse me, can you come and give me a price on this?"

when the salesguy returns to his counter after giving you a price, grab another bass and rinse and repeat. They'll soon put price tags on hehe

• Haha 3