Why become a member? ×

No Prices On New Guitars in PMT

Shambo

14 hours ago, The59Sound said:

That's my point. What if things do remain as they are and we stay in the EU? Prices going up and costs going up based on something that may not even happen still. Just an excuse to get more money out of our pockets. 

The pound has gone down in value due to Brexit. My job has disappeared due to the uncertainty in the construction industry about Brexit. I think you'll find that Brexit is already having an effect, whether it happens or not.

PS. The financial company that Jacob Rees-Mogg is a director for has been shovelling its money across the Irish Sea into the Republic, just to demonstrate extreme confidence in how Brexit will turn out.

Edited by tauzero
JRM bashing!
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I wonder if it's simply their ham-fisted attempt to do something like a supermarket's price guarantee, to try and match, or at least get close to the cheapest online price so that they don't lose customers to the fairly widespread practice of trying something out in store and then buying it on line if it's significantly cheaper.  Maybe they have a figure in mind but they'll sell it for less if they need to and don't want to put off buyers who will see the price and then go to the internet.

But as we can see from the thread, it's not a great strategy, and instead of putting off the people who won't buy because they know it's cheaper online elsewhere, they're putting off the people who won't even pick up a guitar unless they know that they can afford it.

While I have some sympathy if that's what they're trying to do, I can't see it working unless they can properly explain their pricing strategy, and I'm not sure that there's a neat, clean way to explain it that doesn't sound very like "we'll charge you as much as we can get away with".  IMHO they'd be better off changing the tags each morning to show what today's price is...possibly an overnight shelf stacker type job for the new kid

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

The pound has gone down in value due to Brexit. My job has disappeared due to the uncertainty in the construction industry about Brexit. I think you'll find that Brexit is already having an effect, whether it happens or not.

PS. The financial company that Jacob Rees-Mogg is a director for has been shovelling its money across the Irish Sea into the Republic, just to demonstrate extreme confidence in how Brexit will turn out.

And that's what frustrates me. Job losses over something that may not happen still. What if things do remain as they are and we stay in the EU? Will these companies give former employees their jobs back? 

2 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

And that's what frustrates me. Job losses over something that may not happen still. What if things do remain as they are and we stay in the EU? Will these companies give former employees their jobs back? 

No - as previously highlighted it's current conditions with an eye to the uncertain future. The economy is devalued. If we stay in the EU it will have to grow back to where it was before it went base over apex before you could argue that the companies who have left should return. It's not about the result (where x will happen or not) but the period of agitation leading to the decision. 

Anyway - no prices on instruments means I won't be perusing anymore. I have better things to do than live websearching at PMT to work out what I can afford to try, and am too anxious to be bothering staff every 5 minutes for prices. They'll either reverse this daft decision or lose out. I doubt sales are going to increase using this tactic.

2 hours ago, The59Sound said:

I'm afraid the your frustration can only really be directed at those who voted to leave.  Companies/individuals are only reacting to the result. 

This thread seems to have been derailed. 

Price tags eh!?!  What happened to them? 😁

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The59Sound said:

I don't understand what you are not getting. It has happened already. We have become a less attractive country for investment and finance, we have already lost sections of the banking industry etc. We have gone from the 5th largest economy to the 7th, the country has lost many billions. Our economy was based on our stability, and we have lost that. We have spent the last 2 years slagging off the rest of the world and telling them that we might not pay our debts, now people don't want to lend stuff to us for some reason.

We don't get that back even if we stay in the EU, the damage is already done - those jobs don't come back, they have already gone. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The59Sound said:

Exactly - makes me think cutting jobs is a cover up for something else. 

No, that’s conspiracy theory type thinking.

All companies react and plan for risk. They don’t wait for the bad thing to happen, the take steps to minimise damage before it happens because that is safer than waiting to see if it does happen.

Firing 10% of the workforce in advance is a better decision that going out of business completely when the thing happens.

Its basic risk analysis. But even if Brexit doesn’t happen the jobs that have already been transferred to other countries won’t come back.

But companies who simply downsized to cut overheads will be more confident about hiring again. But that confidence will take a long time to come back fully.

Rees-Mogg said it would be 50 years to see the benefits of leaving. Not leaving will probably require 5 years or more to fix the damage already done.

• Like 1

I was in there before Christmas- it was odd but surprisingly liberating. It was quiet, the assistant was nice enough - I went in to try one jazz bass and ended up trying about six basses I had no intention of buying. I could point at the custom shop P and ask if I could give it a try. It was nice, though not £3k nice! Got to try one of the new rays and a sandberg too as the assistant suggested it and, heck you’re not telling me I can’t afford this then why not. (V nice Ray) 

the only odd thing was the lack of nice amps- but anyway...

If I ran a shop that was always going to be undercut, but was the only place to try the real things then you’ll get s load of folk coming in to try and then buy elsewhere. The only difference you have is customer service- and by forcing the conversation about price you start the sales conversation- if I had gone in with money to buy a bass I dare say I would have bought that stingray - because it was nice and the assistant had facilitated a good experience for me...

• Like 1

Ahh - reading round the web, this is probably something to do with the new buying consortium GAP, which is Guitar Guitar, Andertons and PMT, which is designed to raise the prices of guitars and making exclusive deals (hence all the new G&Ls) to protect them from internet undercutting and protect them from going out of business. There are a few things on the net about it.

http://www.musicinstrumentnews.co.uk/2018/08/02/is-it-time-to-start-showing-some-of-the-big-brands-the-door/

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Depends what amps you want, they have ashdown and orange basically from what I remember. Some of the ashdowns sound nice, especially the head of doom going into the CTM300.

They didn’t crack open the Ashdown valve head. Had some new orange amp in that was ok and I think a rack mount ampeg SVT which had no headroom

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Ahh - reading round the web, this is probably something to do with the new buying consortium GAP, which is Guitar Guitar, Andertons and PMT, which is designed to raise the prices of guitars and making exclusive deals (hence all the new G&Ls) to protect them from internet undercutting and protect them from going out of business. There are a few things on the net about it.

http://www.musicinstrumentnews.co.uk/2018/08/02/is-it-time-to-start-showing-some-of-the-big-brands-the-door/

Interesting article. 

Certainly around here there is a growing "shop local" movement in general but that might just be the holistic middle classes shouting a little louder on local Facebook groups.  There are more independent bakeries and bike shops than there have ever been around here.  Maybe the tide is turning. Maybe the people are ready shed the big brands and pay a little more for good old fashioned service.   

However the music business does seem to be bucking this trend with record shops and instrument shops closing all over the place. 

A friend of mine opened an independent music retail shop in Gloucester last year and seems to be doing OK so far. I hope that anyone within reach of Gloucester is familiar with the new and re-vitalised Soundhouse there, and if not, will take a look soon. 

16 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Good luck to them. However, I just bought a new bass from dawsons, as it was £340 cheaper than PMT and Guitar Guitar, and £150 less than Andertons (I don't think andertons got the price fixing memo!). I am happy to support whatever shops, but I am not paying £340 for it, and dawsons were in stock.

It's that assumption that everyone is a genned up savvy price shark and they aren't .To me they should do their homework and price stuff up at a good rate then have the old "seen a cheaper price ?" marking up here and there to invite a deal barter situation if need be .On top of this put together what they give on a deal that the price doesn't show and sell that to the punters too.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2019 at 10:28, cetera said:

Spending an hour or so in the 'Pound shop' doing that and asking the assistant how much each item is can be fun....... ;)

Our local Poundland says in its windows that it's doing it's "BIGGEST EVER SALE! - Many items at 50p!" That made me smile as I walked past!

It's a hard time to be a shop at the moment. the BBC News Review of the Year programme on "The REtail Year" was an interesting, if slightly depressing, watch...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bw98j2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bw98j2/review-2018-the-retail-year