Why become a member? ×

Can someone tell me what makes up the £8k difference in price between these two basses?

Wilco

8 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Now those guys really do take the p*ss!!

What's the betting the Eiffel Tower on the picture behind is a counterfeit and liable to collapse owing to structural issues - or the sofa's a counterfeit and liable to split down the middle - perhaps the chap himself is a counterfeit....

Reminds me very much of dodgy shell suits on sale in market stalls in the 1980s, which young ladies were in the habit of buying only to discover they ripped across the backside the first time they bent over 😧😂

Arrr those were the days 😃

10 hours ago, mcnach said:

I know someone who used to work for the magazine Guitarist. On the subject of scoring reviews, he said it was frustrating that he could not give his honest opinion because the manufacturers buy advertisements in the magazine, and you can't write negative things... so the scores were generally high, but reviewers tried to give subtle hints in the write up so that alert readers could read between the lines what the negatives were. At one point so many of the scores were 5/5 that an instrument with solid 4/5 across the panel would indicate they were not very impressed with it.

Crazy.

That's really interesting.
I used to do a lot of work with photographic companies and retailers, and one big camera company in particular who were my main client.
We used to supply ads, banner campaigns etcs, every month to pretty much every single camera mag here in the UK and that didn't get you any favour when it came to how your reviews went, only the promise that they would actually review it.

Eude

I still have my subscription to HiFiCritic magazine : no ads at all and living thanks to the subscriptions only. Reviews are better with clearer opinions, but they can't review whatever they want because of their Elliott Ness approach of the subject... Hard times for honest people. 🤐