Why become a member? ×

Can someone tell me what makes up the £8k difference in price between these two basses?

Wilco

35 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

They could sell them for the same price... although I'm guessing that that would not be such a good business model for them.

I doubt that (as an ongoing concern), I think both manufacturers would have a lot to say about that whichever way you changed it, which would affect future supply. If a shop goes under however, I imagine any clearance price is game.

Si

These threads never work for the reasons mentioned. The same is true of cars - I've recently watched a programme about Aston Martin cars and can see from the quality of materials and how much handmade content, by skilled labour along with the minute volumes produced compared with mass manufacturers all add up to huge price tags. Of course there'll always be people who don't accept the result is worth the money and are perfectly happy with their bog standard Ford Fiesta!!

Now on a Bass forum you're also up against that group of people who claim you only need a Squier Precision to do anything you'll ever require in a bass guitar and nothing will persuade such people otherwise (I'd wager most of such owners haven't played anything else) - apparently, according to a recent thread that's all you need to be a crack sessions musician as well.........

Of course, such people have overlooked the standard and type of Persian rug required to be stood on for the best studio vibe and sound - or the Motown interface or Alembic or whatever preamp used in combination on many of these recordings with rudimentary instruments.

Where does this leave us with the £8k instrument - well with not very many people buying them and a great crowd of other people who can't afford to (usually) and not being able to distinguish absolute mass production from hand made craftsmanship and everything in between.

On another subject (but the discussion has verged on capitalism/N Korea) If ever there was a totalitarian (communist) state bass guitar (ie enforced choice) it must surely be the Precision bass according to quite a few recent threads!!  

Edited by drTStingray
Ludicrous US English spell correction - I mean - who invented the language!!
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Hellzero said:

You got it quite right @NJE, but the main reason for this price difference is called cupidity on the seller side and stupidity on the buyer side.

[...]

Any real luthier knowing his job will build you a terrific bass, with terrific woods, extraordinary pickups and fantastic preamp for 3000 to 5000 quids, depending on the number of strings you want. And exactly as you want it.

Think twice about the price tag of such high end basses, there is absolutely no reason for it.

It's just like in the audiophile world, prices are totally unjustified. It's only the marketing department making his job.

Standing ovation

Edited by oZZma

39 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I doubt that (as an ongoing concern), I think both manufacturers would have a lot to say about that whichever way you changed it, which would affect future supply. If a shop goes under however, I imagine any clearance price is game.

Si

Doesn't that support my statement?

😛

3 hours ago, Sibob said:

🙄

I’m with Ped, if people want to queue for my work, I would raise my prices to the point that I retain the same income from those orders that remain, effectively working less than if I retained lower prices and therefore required more output. Work/life balance, happier = better work. Business 101. 

Si

Same here. I don't see the problem. Bear in mind as well that we're talking... electric bass guitars, of all instruments. 

What do I mean by that?

Several things:

1. We're not talking about basics like food and shelter. For the vast majority in this forum, electric basses are a bit of a luxury, something we could live without. For those who actually make a living out of playing electric bass...

2. Nobody needs to buy a $5000 electric bass. You could spend a tenth of that in a very decent quality instrument. If you push me, you could even spend £100 and a little effort to get a bass that will do the job nicely and allow you to earn money with it. If you had to. So nobody is forced to buy that $5000 if it'sbeyond their means.

3. Electric basses! Be glad you're not playing a tuba instead! There's no real "cheap but nice" tubas out there.

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 3

Look, the best bass I’ve ever played is my 1986 Aria R80, cost me 600 quid - yours might be a (name any bass manufacturer) - all I mean is try the thing out, if you play a Fodera and know deep down that nothing will ever compare, then start saving, if not then move on to the next bass.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ped said:

I think it’s a good thing - it gives the smaller guys a look in at a more accessible price range. Nobody has to spend 5k on a bass. 

Look at the price of handmade furniture. You can spend £100 or £10000 on a chest of drawers. Bass guitars are cheap, really, considering how handmade some of them are. And you can’t play a chest of drawers. 

That's a bunch of cajones.

;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Historians, philosophers and economists don't know it. Marx and Hegel wrote that communism was the next step IF AND ONLY IF people had experimented the excess of capitalism, but some people imposed it in 1917 without the main condition and it became a disaster. 

So another type of society will take place, taking into account that capitalism and communism don't work, but which one is still a mystery.

And don't even mention social nationalism, please.

I suspect in reality it would be something cyclical, and/or involve a big shake-up and reshape of civilisation as we know it (through war or disease, most likely)... either way, the next few centuries look dire.

Sometimes I wish we had some kind of alien invasion or something. It seems it's the only way humans would ever pull up together: find other beings to blame things on and turn into an enemy.

Only half joking there...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

So the OP wants us to tell him why there is a price difference between these basses? No can do. I can't explain your preferences, or what you perceive as good or bad value.

These threads are always so pointless because the guys who can't tell the difference between products from the opposite ends of the range don't accept the points made by those who can.

... and at the end of the discussion, we never find out which one is best for metal. 

Very disappointing read.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I'm struggling to understand how this relates to playing Brown Sugar down at the Dog & Duck ...

Easy: guitarist wants to play the 1971 live BBC sessions version, while bass player is suggesting the dub reggae version by a cousin of Burning Spear. In the end, they both play Freebird as if made by the Stones with a reggae beat.

Do keep up.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hellzero said:

I used to build and repair guitar, basses and amps, just in case. But being honest, I didn't earn enough money to live. Maybe, I'll start again when money won't be an issue, say when I'll be retired.

If you were take them out the cases you could  do it alot faster! 😄

sorry. carry on :)

• Haha 2

Its great marketing, established expensive brand, Famous players blah blah. Its nonsense imo. There not 5 grands worth more talented than the most expensive Sadowsky and the makers of Sadowsky for example, who just so happens to work out of the same city.  Anyone who wants to pay that much, be Fodera's guest.. Its like a vintage Fender at £10,000 or what ever ridiculous price people pay for an instrument that cost the same as a standard Fender now at the prices they were back then. But no, hang on a minute.... its special because its 50 years old, it has that special vibe/tone, the wood has matured to give it a special something like a fine aged wine. Do me a favour.. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Its great marketing, established expensive brand, Famous players blah blah. Its nonsense imo. 

Insanely high prices are a precise strategic choice: if something costs A LOT, it increases the object's value (the perception of "luxury, élite item") in the eye of buyers. An absurdely high priced item will be valued more and will make you feel more "special" than a fairly priced item of the same quality. High-end market is rarely a mere matter of quality

5 minutes ago, oZZma said:

Insanely high prices are a precise strategic choice: if something costs A LOT, it increases the object's value (the perception of "luxury, élite item") in the eye of buyers. An absurdely high priced item will be valued more and will make you feel more "special" than a fairly priced item of the same quality. High-end market is rarely a mere matter of quality

I didn't and couldn't put it better. 

I agree to an extent, but definitely think more expensive instruments are often worth the money. Quite often they keep their value better, too. So you haven’t so much spent the money but have it tied up in an instrument (that excuse normally works on the wife anyway)