Why become a member? ×

Can someone tell me what makes up the £8k difference in price between these two basses?

Wilco

9 hours ago, therealting said:

Sadowsky is also based in New York (well, Queens). Secondhand prices, like anything, are largely a game of supply and demand. Foderas are perceived as being desirable, and the supply of them is limited. Hence high prices. 

And with Sadowsky you pay $5600 for a bolt-on 5 string Jazz :)

Si

10 hours ago, chris_b said:

Again, I'm amazed how many of you guys are qualified to judge the value of the work that goes into making basses.

I used to build and repair guitar, basses and amps, just in case. But being honest, I didn't earn enough money to live. Maybe, I'll start again when money won't be an issue, say when I'll be retired.

Here is the UBS (end of 2018) fare prices for renting a flat for 3 persons for 1 month, which is one of the best life level indicator :

https://www.ubs.com/microsites/prices-earnings/en/explore/?indicator=Prices_Housing_(USD)&split=false

And then the earning levels :

https://www.ubs.com/microsites/prices-earnings/en/explore/?indicator=General_Wage Level (gross)_(New York %3D 100)&split=false&category=Earnings

And now the purchasing power :

https://www.ubs.com/microsites/prices-earnings/en/explore/?indicator=General_Domestic Purchasing Power_Net (New York %3D 100)&split=false&category=Domestic Purchasing Power

Do the maths and you'll understand where are the huge profit makers. Again sad but true.

I'll just tell you that Paris (France) is certainly the worst place to live, but the luthiers installed there are not mobing their customers with unjustified delirious selling prices. Take a look at Vigier price list, nothing wrong there and top notch quality level. Patrice Vigier also has some registered patents for his instruments.

Edited by Hellzero
Forgot "indicator" after life level. "Huge profit makers" is better than crooks.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Here is the UBS (end of 2018) fare prices for renting a flat for 3 persons for 1 month, which is one of the best life level :

https://www.ubs.com/microsites/prices-earnings/en/explore/?indicator=Prices_Housing_(USD)&split=false

And then the earning levels :

https://www.ubs.com/microsites/prices-earnings/en/explore/?indicator=General_Wage Level (gross)_(New York %3D 100)&split=false&category=Earnings

And now the purchasing power :

https://www.ubs.com/microsites/prices-earnings/en/explore/?indicator=General_Domestic Purchasing Power_Net (New York %3D 100)&split=false&category=Domestic Purchasing Power

Do the maths and you'll understand where are the crooks. Again sad but true.

I'll just tell you that Paris (France) is certainly the worst place to live, but the luthiers installed there are not mobing their customers with unjustified delirious selling prices. Take a look at Vigier price list, nothing wrong there and top notch quality level. Patrice Vigier also has some registered patents for his instruments.

Who exactly are you calling crooks?

5 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

This is one of the main reason why we are living the end of capitalism. 😉

I think it’s a good thing - it gives the smaller guys a look in at a more accessible price range. Nobody has to spend 5k on a bass. 

Look at the price of handmade furniture. You can spend £100 or £10000 on a chest of drawers. Bass guitars are cheap, really, considering how handmade some of them are. And you can’t play a chest of drawers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thebassist said:

Maybe go live in a North Korea? I reckon you'd love it.

🙄

I’m with Ped, if people want to queue for my work, I would raise my prices to the point that I retain the same income from those orders that remain, effectively working less than if I retained lower prices and therefore required more output. Work/life balance, happier = better work. Business 101. 

Si

11 minutes ago, Machines said:

Ok i'll bite. What happens next then ?

Historians, philosophers and economists don't know it. Marx and Hegel wrote that communism was the next step IF AND ONLY IF people had experimented the excess of capitalism, but some people imposed it in 1917 without the main condition and it became a disaster. 

So another type of society will take place, taking into account that capitalism and communism don't work, but which one is still a mystery.

And don't even mention social nationalism, please.

So the OP wants us to tell him why there is a price difference between these basses? No can do. I can't explain your preferences, or what you perceive as good or bad value.

These threads are always so pointless because the guys who can't tell the difference between products from the opposite ends of the range don't accept the points made by those who can.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Historians, philosophers and economists don't know it. Marx and Hegel wrote that communism was the next step IF AND ONLY IF people had experimented the excess of capitalism, but some people imposed it in 1917 without the main condition and it became a disaster. 

So another type of society will take place, taking into account that capitalism and communism don't work, but which one is still a mystery.

I'm not a massive economics scholar, but Hegel's Thesis/Antithesis/Synthesis does suggest it is inevitable, as well as circular.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wilco said:

Yes, obviously there are wood & spec differences but where is nearly £9k of difference?

The £9000 difference in cost is on the price tag of the two instruments.

The difference in how much they're worth, is almost entirely impossible to define. 'Worth' is a value judgement (no pun intended), not always related to price.

I wouldn't buy either of those basses, so you could I could say their worth is identical from my point of view, but they certainly don't cost the same.

42 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Funny to read, just because I'm pointing out capitalism, I must be a communist. 🙄

I'm just saying, it is a free economy and a person can choose to either pay the amount being asked or not. It's quite simple.

And, just for the record I didn't call you a communist.

38 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

12 minutes ago, Machines said:

I'm not a massive economics scholar, but Hegel's Thesis/Antithesis/Synthesis does suggest it is inevitable, as well as circular.

I'm struggling to understand how this relates to playing Brown Sugar down at the Dog & Duck ...