Why become a member? ×

Now Ashdown saves Rock n Roll!!

jezzaboy

After Bridgehouse saves Rock n Roll with a Marshall, here is my own contribution.

I sold my Rumble last year as we were mostly doing gigs with supplied backline, there is now some gigs on the horizon where we need to bring our own gear. So a good excuse to get something with a bit of oommph.

As a long time Ashdown fan, I spotted this in GG so pulled the trigger. It`s an ABM 500 EVO 2 but I havent seen any heads this size. It is in what looks like an official Asdown head sleeve but all the heads I have seen are a good bit shorter without the vents at the ends. This style of head looks like the ones fitted to the EVO 2 combo. I might drop them a line and see if I can get any info.

It looks like it has never been used and is almost mint and needless to say the wife had a bloomin fit when I plugged it into my ABM 2 x 10 cab and gave it a bit of welly. It`s heavy, large and I love it already! Just need the 8 x 10 now...

The saviour of Rock N Roll part 2!

20190106_140546.thumb.jpg.45b61afe8f54c19891418344c5bc3004.jpg20190106_140559.thumb.jpg.7212aad0e7f5a1733b8d423ffb07c608.jpg

• Like 3

It’s not a 500 in a 900 case because there are extra air vents along the bottom of the 900 and it has four fans not two :)

They did do some “wide boy” heads which were exactly as thought, basically the combo head in a head sleeve, is suspect it’s that. Very nice, gotta love an Ashdown 👍🏻

Edited by Merton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a ABM Evo II 300 head I bought new around 2007, mines the normal size - but I remember at that time there were "wide" versions of the 300 too, just as Merton pointed out above. I think I've seen the Mag heads in a wide format as well - I reckon a lot of the chassis designed for the combos ended up as heads at the factory?

Edited by owenojo

On 06/01/2019 at 14:22, jezzaboy said:

After Bridgehouse saves Rock n Roll with a Marshall, here is my own contribution.

I sold my Rumble last year as we were mostly doing gigs with supplied backline, there is now some gigs on the horizon where we need to bring our own gear. So a good excuse to get something with a bit of oommph.

As a long time Ashdown fan, I spotted this in GG so pulled the trigger. It`s an ABM 500 EVO 2 but I havent seen any heads this size. It is in what looks like an official Asdown head sleeve but all the heads I have seen are a good bit shorter without the vents at the ends. This style of head looks like the ones fitted to the EVO 2 combo. I might drop them a line and see if I can get any info.

It looks like it has never been used and is almost mint and needless to say the wife had a bloomin fit when I plugged it into my ABM 2 x 10 cab and gave it a bit of welly. It`s heavy, large and I love it already! Just need the 8 x 10 now...

The saviour of Rock N Roll part 2!

20190106_140546.thumb.jpg.45b61afe8f54c19891418344c5bc3004.jpg20190106_140559.thumb.jpg.7212aad0e7f5a1733b8d423ffb07c608.jpg

Nice. Looks in great nick for a head that's in its 10th year. We did used to do the wideboy heads back in the day which was the combo head in a sleeve when the regular head chassis were unavailable... Essentially exactly the same as the regular sized head would have been but with the benefit of extra venting which equals slightly better air flow and therefore cooling.

Nice find!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1