Why become a member? Read more... ×
arthurhenry

Tuning - which order?

Do you tune your strings in a particular order and is this of any significance? I always tune low to high, my reasoning being that if the E and A strings require any significant tuning, it will likely affect the tuning of the lighter D and G and they may then require re-tuning.

I always start with the E then A,D,G.

No logic behind it, I've just always done it that way.

• Like 1

I've always began with the G then down to the D and beyond.

I suppose if I thought about it the D then the G usually have the highest tension of all with the E usually the lowest so if the neck is going to move however slightly then it will have done so by the time I get down to the E rather than tune the E and have it go slightly out when I tune the higher strings. It sounds right in my head so must be correct :crazy:

I always restring the G first then the D, A & E as well

• Like 4

Weirdly I've always gone from G to E (or B with fivers), no idea why. 

Unless all the strings have been slackened for any reason in which case I'll do a mixture of low and high to put the neck back under stress evenly and not stress one side before the other. 

• Like 3

I tune the one that is out of tune the most first, then the others. then I do the B.

• Like 1

I  tune E first then A D G  I was shown that way from day 1 so it just stuck with me .

• Like 2

I always tune G,D,A,E.

Except on a Wednesday, when I tune E,A,D,G.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I can see a sort of of logic in starting at the G in that your'e then not reaching over tuners you've already tuned in order to get to the next string, so you're less likely to knock a tuner you've already tuned. 

Although that only really works on a 4 in a row or 3 + 1 headstock. It might be different on a 2 +2 arrangement.

If that makes any sense at all.

I'm not planing to change from starting on E though.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

G to B to put the bass into tune, then G to B again to double check.

• Like 3

I always tune highest string to lowest (GDAEB in my case) which I think might be a subconscious spillover from using raking technique in my playing. It just feels like the most efficient way of doing it, especially considering the points that have been made re: knocking tuning pegs that have already been tuned.

• Like 2

Isn't it just easier going from one side to the other?

If you tuned odd then even strings or from the middle out or the outside in, you'd get lost.

• Like 1

Low to high (which could be EADG or BEAD or BEADG or BEADGC depending on the bass 🙂 ) because I tune to the 5th fret of the string below as best I can, and only use a tuner to check and super-fine-tune it, or to put the same tuner on the lead guitar to be sure we're really together. 

I Am Not Going To Buy Any Pedals Ever. Honestly. Really. 🙂 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Isn't it just easier going from one side to the other?

That's what everyone does so far....

Posted (edited)

This is how religious schisms begin.

One innocent question about an inconsequential point of protocol.

A thousand years from now our descendants will still be participating in mass persecutions and guerilla warfare between E starters and G starters.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, Cato said:

This is how religious schisms begin.

One innocent question about an inconsequential point of protocol.

A thousand years from now our descendants will still be participating in mass persecution and guerilla warfare between E starters and G starters.

No, we all love each other. Until the A and D starters turn up...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, arthurhenry said:

No, we all love each other. Until the A and D starters turn up...

Burn the heretical bastards, before their foul perversity spreads to the simple minded and unenlightened.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

E to G when tuning, but when I change strings I do G to E. Dunno why.

• Like 1

I tune GDAE, so it's as if my bass says 'Hello' to me in Australian.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

I never tune, tuning is over-rated

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

I only do if they are out of tune in that order 

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

Until now!

E,G,D,A of course...

Why I've no idea but I've been doing it that way for 35 years. Got a feeling someone told me to to it that way - maybe?? 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Low to high.

As an aside I always tune by pinging the harmonic at the 12th fret. I'm not entirely sure it's the best way!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, thepurpleblob said:

As an aside I always tune by pinging the harmonic at the 12th fret. I'm not entirely sure it's the best way!

I saw advice recently to always tune at the 12th fret rather than the open string. Certainly makes sense for a low B which many tuners can't cope with. I should try it... 

• Like 2

Although best to get a tuner than can cope with it if you are going to use one. 

• Like 1