Why become a member? ×

Tuning - which order?

arthurhenry

10 minutes ago, ahpook said:

In fact, there's only 24...well 23 heinous crimes that I can barely look at and one soothingly correct way ;)

E,A,D,G
A,E,D,G
D,E,A,G
E,D,A,G
A,D,E,G
D,A,E,G
D,A,G,E
A,D,G,E
G,D,A,E
D,G,A,E
A,G,D,E
G,A,D,E
G,E,D,A
E,G,D,A
D,G,E,A
G,D,E,A
E,D,G,A
D,E,G,A
A,E,G,D
E,A,G,D
G,A,E,D
A,G,E,D
E,G,A,D
G,E,A,D

A novice's error, my dear ahpook!

You haven't considered tuning by harmonics, using a polychromatic tuner or even 5,6,8 & 12 string instruments!

A common mistake made by those without the benefit of Advanced Proficiency - Turny-Twisty Things at Top Of Bass Guitar' degree (correspondence course - $99.99 including embossed & gilt certificate )

;)

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, ahpook said:

In fact, there's only 24...well 23 heinous crimes that I can barely look at and one soothingly correct way ;)

E,A,D,G
A,E,D,G
D,E,A,G
E,D,A,G
A,D,E,G
D,A,E,G
D,A,G,E
A,D,G,E
G,D,A,E
D,G,A,E
A,G,D,E
G,A,D,E
G,E,D,A
E,G,D,A
D,G,E,A
G,D,E,A
E,D,G,A
D,E,G,A
A,E,G,D
E,A,G,D
G,A,E,D
A,G,E,D
E,G,A,D
G,E,A,D

This is so blatantly anti five & six string bass that I have reported it to the irrelevant authorities, from whom you can  expect a summons at any time where you will be expected to list every possible combination of tuning or 4, 5, 6 & 7 string basses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, FinnDave said:

This is so blatantly anti five & six string bass that I have reported it to the irrelevant authorities, from whom you can  expect a summons at any time where you will be expected to list every possible combination of tuning or 4, 5, 6 & 7 string basses.

You're in soooo much trouble now @ahpook

:(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

In my defence I've never tuned a 5 or 6 or 7(!) stringed bass so I was wary of speaking out of turn.

I'll get on those tabulations immediately tho...I feel I should make amends.

Sorry everyone.

Edited by ahpook
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ahpook said:

In my defence I've never tuned a 5 or 6 or 7(!) stringed bass so I was wary of speaking out of turn.

I'll get on those tabulations immediately tho...I feel I should make amends.

Sorry everyone.

As long as you've learned your lesson, we'll say no-more about it.

I have a harp - how would you recommend tuning? ;)

17 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Under 'M' - the authority record for the contributor (what name the item should be indexed under) is 'Michael Schenker Group', assuming you're using MARC21 cataloguing rules in your collection.

;)

All the extra sleep I could have had if only I'd owned a copy.

• Haha 1

Tuning? Was he not the chap that broke the enigma code?  I always wondered what those shiny things were on the head of the bass. I usually put my chewing gum on them.

In response to Aphook's post, I have always liked the shriek approach and in fact just putting 4! into google search would have given you the answer too.

6 minutes ago, tedmanzie said:

Anyone here tried restringing and tuning a 6 string (guitar shhh) with a floyd rose floating trem? That can take several days 😬

Its covered in 'Zen and the Art of Stringing the Abomination that is the Guitar' - Chapter 12 'Well go on, if you really must'

*Not that it matters if a guitarist is in tune, he'll still play all the wrong notes! ;)

Edited by Teebs
  • Haha 2

On 05/01/2019 at 22:02, arthurhenry said:

Do you tune your strings in a particular order and is this of any significance? I always tune low to high, my reasoning being that if the E and A strings require any significant tuning, it will likely affect the tuning of the lighter D and G and they may then require re-tuning.

But what if tuning the E and A affect the D and G first? It's all so confusing!!

• Haha 1

On 08/01/2019 at 16:57, arthurhenry said:

Can you help me? Should I put Michael Schenker Group under M for MSG or S for Schenker?

Even more difficult is Alice Cooper, initially the band filed under A and then the singer filed under C.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Even more difficult is Alice Cooper, initially the band filed under A and then the singer filed under C.

Makes sense - same name, different authority record.

Much as with any authors with the same name (John Smith(s) anyone ?)...they'll all have unique ways of describing them, usually by appending their date of birth to their name.

Edited by ahpook