Why become a member? ×

Tuning - which order?

arthurhenry

I go G to E then back up to G. Then I sort my CD collection. I usually start with the A's and work through to the Z's. Then I make sure all the cans in the cupboard are straight and the same height. Then I go to my Out of Control Geekness Who Posts His Crap on Basschat therapy session.

Jeez, slow day in the arthurhenry household eh!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Only marginally more futile than talking about the alleged difference in sound between rosewood and maple fingerboards, or other debates taking place on this forum. 

If futile discussions were banned on this forum, it would have very few posts!

• Haha 3

interesting... never actually thought about it

I check my tuning using harmonics. Always starting at the top 2 strings (harmonic on G 7th fret and D 5th fret), then work down. Usually that sorts out any one string that's been knocked out.

If i know they're all out, and I'm doing it with a tuner, I'll go from the low E upwards

If I'm tuning to a bandmate, I usually ask for an A, then go from there. I think that probably comes from being a music student, where big bands and orchestras all parp out a big A to tune up

Edited by Bob Lord

15 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Are people still posting serious responses to this drivel?

I know, I told them ages ago how it should be done.

What's left to discuss ? I think I'm the only one here professionally qualified to put E, A, D and G in the right order. I've got a certificate and everything.

EDIT: I've attached a copy of my certificate to remove any doubt that may be lingering in people's minds.

Certificate.jpg

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

21 hours ago, spectoremg said:

I go G to E then back up to G. Then I sort my CD collection. I usually start with the A's and work through to the Z's. Then I make sure all the cans in the cupboard are straight and the same height. Then I go to my Out of Control Geekness Who Posts His Crap on Basschat therapy session.

Jeez, slow day in the arthurhenry household eh!

Can you help me? Should I put Michael Schenker Group under M for MSG or S for Schenker?

Edited by arthurhenry
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, ahpook said:

I know, I told them ages ago how it should be done.

What's left to discuss ? I think I'm the only one here professionally qualified to put E, A, D and G in the right order. I've got a certificate and everything.

EDIT: I've attached a copy of my certificate to remove any doubt that may be lingering in people's minds.

Certificate.jpg

You got your drummer to make that, didn't you? Go on - tell the truth now! ;)

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

It doesn't seem to have drool stains on it, so it may not be the drummer......

You're right, of course.

Bongos player maybe? ;)

(*disclaimer* the above references to percussionists are meant as humour only. Drummers are lovely people, whose skill and dexterity is truly a thing to behold.)

:D

Edited by Teebs

3 minutes ago, tedmanzie said:

For some reason I’ve read every post of this thread. I must be losing it 😬

Aah! But just think how much you've learnt!

Next time you tune your bass, you'll have hundreds of correct combinations to choose from! :D

17 minutes ago, Teebs said:

You got your drummer to make that, didn't you? Go on - tell the truth now! ;)

What ? I assure you that is my professional qualification...they'd just run out of headed notepaper.

It's not like they just hand out degrees at the Papa Doc College of Offshore Librarianship, Haiti.

Edited by ahpook
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ahpook said:

... the Papa Doc College of Offshore Librarianship in Haiti.

What a startling coincidence!

That's my alma mater!

Happy days, studying for my 'Advanced Proficiency - Turny-Twisty Things at Top Of Bass Guitar' degree (correspondence course - $99.99 including embossed & gilt certificate).

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Teebs said:

What a startling coincidence!

That's my alma mater!

Happy days, studying for my 'Advanced Proficiency - Turny-Twisty Things at Top Of Bass Guitar' degree (correspondence course - $99.99 including embossed & gilt certificate).

No way !

({Performs secret handshake)

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Next time you tune your bass, you'll have hundreds of correct combinations to choose from! :D

In fact, there's only 24...well 23 heinous crimes that I can barely look at and one soothingly correct way ;)

E,A,D,G
A,E,D,G
D,E,A,G
E,D,A,G
A,D,E,G
D,A,E,G
D,A,G,E
A,D,G,E
G,D,A,E
D,G,A,E
A,G,D,E
G,A,D,E
G,E,D,A
E,G,D,A
D,G,E,A
G,D,E,A
E,D,G,A
D,E,G,A
A,E,G,D
E,A,G,D
G,A,E,D
A,G,E,D
E,G,A,D
G,E,A,D

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

@spectoremg and others who are bored: while I do sympathise, I wonder why you are still reading/posting on the thread? To many of us it's all a bit of fun, even the serious replies, but YMMV.

I'm having great fun thank you Sylvia. Anyway haven't you got some old Macca codswallop to pass off as new stuff in a bass periodical?

1 hour ago, arthurhenry said:

Can you help me? Should I put Michael Schenker Group under M for MSG or S for Schenker?

Under 'M' - the authority record for the contributor (what name the item should be indexed under) is 'Michael Schenker Group', assuming you're using MARC21 cataloguing rules in your collection.

;)

Edited by ahpook
  • Haha 1