Why become a member? ×

Tuning - which order?

arthurhenry

8 hours ago, Cato said:

This is how religious schisms begin.

One innocent question about an inconsequential point of protocol.

A thousand years from now our descendants will still be participating in mass persecutions and guerilla warfare between E starters and G starters.

Yup, this thread is turning into a secret confessional - oh, the shame we feel when we discover we've been doing it the 'wrong' way.

It's like discovering that some people stand up to wipe their bums while others remain seated...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I start with the E string then A, then B, then D, G & C. And I always tune it in the position I am intending to play it - so tune sitting down if playing seated, on a strap and standing if I am going to play that way. 

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 1

Wait... you can tune a bass? :o

I don't hold with all this new-fangled messing about & chicanery!

I told the rest of the band that my tuning can't be changed, so they have to re-tune to me.

Problemo solvedo :D 🎸 🎻 🎶 🍻

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

For the first time I can ever remember, when I last re-stringed my bass all 4 tuners ended up perpendicular to the headstock when tuned up*. So now I simply carry a set square around and tune by setting the angle.

*This bit is actually true

Really, G-E although I don't think it really matters. They are never out by much anyway and usually due to relative heat/humidity in the room. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Norris said:

For the first time I can ever remember, when I last re-stringed my bass all 4 tuners ended up perpendicular to the headstock when tuned up*. So now I simply carry a set square around and tune by setting the angle.

Really, G-E although I don't think it really matters. They are never out by much anyway and usually due to relative heat/humidity in the room. 

set square a must for tune ups i use on my car aswell 😎

• Like 1

I've always tuned low to high on the assumption that the heavier strings have more pull on the neck and therefore are more likely to have an effect on the other strings, so get them done first. Makes sense to me but I'm ready to be shot down in flames.

• Like 1

I do a harmonic test starting with the D & G strings & work my way down, then I tune if needed & check the pitch of a string with the tuner.

If I'm putting strings on the bass, then I always choose the middle strings first & then the 2 outside ones (no particular order).  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Sorry, what? Because you can't reach the tuners? I don't see how the scale would dictate a way of tuning.

It's always more acurate to tune in the playing position- doing it on the stand won't throw the results off as much as, say, tuning it laid flat in your lap then fliping it up to play, but will still introduce potential shifts in the forces acting on the neck.

Particularly on my EB3, even though I’ve moved the neck strap button, it’s still head heavy.  Both basses have 2 x 2 tuners, so yes, it’s difficult to reach them.  I take your point re accuracy though, thanks.

5 hours ago, Norris said:

That's a great idea and would give you a valid reason to use one of those old Schaller bridges with the fine tuners fitted!

Oh, and to answer the original question, high to low for me and then again to correct any errors.

I made sure I bought a bass that was in tune when I bought it...

Seriously though. I always tune E to G, but I'm beginning to think I should go G to E. Or, E to G then G to E to double check?

Edited by Marvin
  • Haha 2

B (or E) to G for bass guitars (while they're hanging from my neck). Before tuning, I pull each string once.

For double bass/uprights I pull each string once before tuning, check the bridge is straight, then tune B (or E) to G and then back, G to B (or E), because the tuning never seems to stabilise with just one pass.

My basses live in my room, a warm loft with near-constant temperature of about 23 degrees*.  :)

*Sits and waits for comments about heating bills and suggestions to move to the Med. :D