Why become a member? ×

Tuning - which order?

arthurhenry

I've always began with the G then down to the D and beyond.

I suppose if I thought about it the D then the G usually have the highest tension of all with the E usually the lowest so if the neck is going to move however slightly then it will have done so by the time I get down to the E rather than tune the E and have it go slightly out when I tune the higher strings. It sounds right in my head so must be correct :crazy:

I always restring the G first then the D, A & E as well

• Like 4

Weirdly I've always gone from G to E (or B with fivers), no idea why. 

Unless all the strings have been slackened for any reason in which case I'll do a mixture of low and high to put the neck back under stress evenly and not stress one side before the other. 

• Like 3

I can see a sort of of logic in starting at the G in that your'e then not reaching over tuners you've already tuned in order to get to the next string, so you're less likely to knock a tuner you've already tuned. 

Although that only really works on a 4 in a row or 3 + 1 headstock. It might be different on a 2 +2 arrangement.

If that makes any sense at all.

I'm not planing to change from starting on E though.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

I always tune highest string to lowest (GDAEB in my case) which I think might be a subconscious spillover from using raking technique in my playing. It just feels like the most efficient way of doing it, especially considering the points that have been made re: knocking tuning pegs that have already been tuned.

• Like 2

Low to high (which could be EADG or BEAD or BEADG or BEADGC depending on the bass 🙂 ) because I tune to the 5th fret of the string below as best I can, and only use a tuner to check and super-fine-tune it, or to put the same tuner on the lead guitar to be sure we're really together. 

I Am Not Going To Buy Any Pedals Ever. Honestly. Really. 🙂 

• Like 1

This is how religious schisms begin.

One innocent question about an inconsequential point of protocol.

A thousand years from now our descendants will still be participating in mass persecutions and guerilla warfare between E starters and G starters.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, Cato said:

This is how religious schisms begin.

One innocent question about an inconsequential point of protocol.

A thousand years from now our descendants will still be participating in mass persecution and guerilla warfare between E starters and G starters.

No, we all love each other. Until the A and D starters turn up...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, arthurhenry said:

No, we all love each other. Until the A and D starters turn up...

Burn the heretical bastards, before their foul perversity spreads to the simple minded and unenlightened.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, thepurpleblob said:

As an aside I always tune by pinging the harmonic at the 12th fret. I'm not entirely sure it's the best way!

I saw advice recently to always tune at the 12th fret rather than the open string. Certainly makes sense for a low B which many tuners can't cope with. I should try it... 

• Like 2