Why become a member? ×

Twas 33 years ago - RIP Phil Lynott

spectoremg

20 hours ago, rollie 55 said:

yes he did die in salisbury i play dancing in the moonlight as a trib to him 

I love that bassline, I never do it justice though. There's an acoustic version I have on a magazine cd (Q mag I think), can't for the life of me remember who did it but it's lovely.

Just now, super al said:

I love that bassline, I never do it justice though. There's an acoustic version I have on a magazine cd (Q mag I think), can't for the life of me remember who did it but it's lovely.

i do aswell its always the first riff i play when i pick my bass up 😋

23 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Great pic. He was cool as...

Lucky enough to see them a few times over the years and one show (with Brian Robertson) was, to this day, one of the best gigs I've seen - the band were right on top of their game.

Also saw them with Snowy White and John Sykes (separately) playing foil to Scott Gorham and, whilst neither were as good a fit as Robertson (imo), and parts of the shows may have been patchy with some of the material not up to the standard of the mid/late 70s Lizzy (again, imo), Philo was always fabulous.

For me, one of rock and roll's great frontmen...

yes he was

1978 and us guys are hanging around the Edinburgh Odeon  where Lizzy are playing that night. Brazen, we just slowly wander in and next thing we know we're watching Lizzy rehearse from the SL wing.

Their crew were pretty cool with us and we wandered over to look at Robbo's dual Copicat system. Then, to our delight, they started soundchecking with The Stranglers' 'Peaches'. I recall Philo had two P-basses and was also using a Maestro Brassmaster. And he was on a radio-transmitter as well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NikNik said:

1978 and us guys are hanging around the Edinburgh Odeon  where Lizzy are playing that night. Brazen, we just slowly wander in and next thing we know we're watching Lizzy rehearse from the SL wing.

Their crew were pretty cool with us and we wandered over to look at Robbo's dual Copicat system. Then, to our delight, they started soundchecking with The Stranglers' 'Peaches'. I recall Philo had two P-basses and was also using a Maestro Brassmaster. And he was on a radio-transmitter as well.

Seem to recall they were one of the first to use radio systems, some assumed they were miming to a track as there were no leads  to the backline. Saw them a couple of times in Brighton, absolutely superb. And he played an Ibanez Roadster as well as the P bass for a time, I had recently bought one and it validated my choice in my mind at least!

Too young to have seen Thin Lizzy, but did see him live a couple of times - once in Grand Slam, and once coming on to do a couple of songs with Gary Moore, only a few months before his death.  Proper rock star - cool as

In a sad postscript to that, I also saw Gary Moore live a few months before he died

I saw Lizzy at Bridlington Spa, probably 77 or 78? I was working in the record business at the time and got some tickets via their record company rep I think, as TBH they weren't really my bag. They were great, tight as and really loud! Classic line up of Robertson / Gorham IIRC. I have to say though (contrary to nearly every other post on this thread) I never thought Phil was that cool, and looked to me like he was a trying too hard doing the classic 'rock pose' thing a lot of the time, ending up looking a bit daft. Great band with some ace songs though, and very sad Phil died the way he did so prematurely.

Saw them in (probably) 78 supported by Graham Parker and The Rumour at Brunel University. Absolute monster of a gig with Robertson, Gorham and Downey. Made me want to play live music even more than I already did. I remember watching Phil Lynott doing his thing with his P bass and thinking 'I fancy some of THAT!'

My last band was playing hard rock, and we had a singer with a great voice, but he his stage presence was somewhat lacking if he was sober.  The standing instruction was "just be like Phil Lynott" - that summed up everything we wanted him to be

Sadly the thing he most shares with Lynott is an appetite for banned substances, so it didn't end well for the band...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I saw the last two UK gigs with Phil - one at Gloucester Leisure Centre as a delayed date on the final tour then Reading '83.

Phil said something like  'I never thought we'd be playing our last gig in a sh1tty lttle place like this"

They actually went on to do a Japanese Tour, then Reading, then a final gig in Germany.

http://www.thinlizzyguide.com/tours/year/1983.htm

(Glad I looked that up, now I know where I saw Mama's Boys!)

Edited by Stub Mandrel