Why become a member? ×

Twas 33 years ago - RIP Phil Lynott

spectoremg

Great pic. He was cool as...

Lucky enough to see them a few times over the years and one show (with Brian Robertson) was, to this day, one of the best gigs I've seen - the band were right on top of their game.

Also saw them with Snowy White and John Sykes (separately) playing foil to Scott Gorham and, whilst neither were as good a fit as Robertson (imo), and parts of the shows may have been patchy with some of the material not up to the standard of the mid/late 70s Lizzy (again, imo), Philo was always fabulous.

For me, one of rock and roll's great frontmen...

• Like 4

‘Any of you girls out there got any Irish in you.....?’

Rock n Roll personified. Met him a couple of times, seemed quite shy and humble. So many of his songs predicted how it was going to end. Sad loss. 

Edited by Beedster

7 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Lucky enough to see them a few times over the years and one show (with Brian Robertson) was, to this day, one of the best gigs I've seen - the band were right on top of their game.

Also saw them with Snowy White and John Sykes (separately) playing foil to Scott Gorham and, whilst neither were as good a fit as Robertson (imo), and parts of the shows may have been patchy with some of the material not up to the standard of the mid/late 70s Lizzy (again, imo), Philo was always fabulous.

The Brian Robertson line-up. Envious!

• Like 1

He was one of my heroes until he started showing signs of cocaine abuse.  Apparently, the father in law's catch-phrase of Come on down!, had little or no effect on his habit.

Growing up in sixties Dublin as an adopted mixed race child must have played a large part in forming his personality and charisma.  Such a pity he is not still with us.

One of the coolest artists ever.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

yes yes yes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

he was the rocker😎

1 minute ago, super al said:

I think he passed away around these 'ere parts (I live near Salisbury, famous for it's spire and oldest working clock!).

I'm sure "Whiskey in the jar" was one of the 1st tunes I tried to learn. 

yes he did die in salisbury i play dancing in the moonlight as a trib to him 

Just now, super al said:

I'm sure "Whiskey in the jar" was one of the 1st tunes I tried to learn. 

I was ten when that was played on TOTP.  We'd just emigrated to Ireland and I was in a Christian Brothers' primary school listening to an alcoholic priest, who was our maths teacher, raving about how these Irish lads had "won" TOTP with a good ould Irish tune.

The old boy must have been about sixty and had a fondness for yanking you out of your seat by the hair if you showed any disrespect.  He can't have been all bad because he liked Thin Lizzy.

2 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I was ten when that was played on TOTP.  We'd just emigrated to Ireland and I was in a Christian Brothers' primary school listening to an alcoholic priest, who was our maths teacher, raving about how these Irish lads had "won" TOTP with a good ould Irish tune.

The old boy must have been about sixty and had a fondness for yanking you out of your seat by the hair if you showed any disrespect.  He can't have been all bad because he liked Thin Lizzy.

any one who likes thin lizzy is cool😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

All of that, yes.  I saw them at Wembley Arena in 1978.  Set the bar for me with live music.  Never bettered.  I recall they had a laser that drew out the Thin Lizzy logo in mid-air than spun it around.  :) 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Lozz196 said:

Never saw them, but watched them on TV shows and as well as clearly being a good band, PL was clearly a good bassist - he had a great tone on some of the clips I saw, and looked as cool as.

yea man he was for me rock n roll died when he died 😂