Is it an 8 string?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Is it an 8 string or a 4 string?

• Clip A was the 8 string and easy to tell apart
    • Clip B was the 8 string and easy to tell apart
    • Clip A was the 8 string but the Mosaic got close
    • Clip B was the 8 string but the Mosaic got close

On 06/01/2019 at 16:20, HazBeen said:

That is actually why I was checking the Mosaic out (what does it do). Turns out is is a doubler with a short delay (I would assume around the 20ms mark) and the octave up. I know my Helix has both, so I am going to try to get my current “faux” 8 string patch to the next level :)

wrt “real” 8 and 12 string, Tom Peterson and Doug Pinnick are worth checking. I also 2nd the comment about using fingers, you need to adapt technique but I really prefer the sound of fingers on my 8 sometimes.

Excellent. Well if you do manage to get your Helix "faux 8" patch to the next level then please do share on the Helix patch tips thread (and / or on this one!) and I'll add the Mosaic to the list of pedals that may not be seeing out 2019 on my board! :)  

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

On 06/01/2019 at 16:20, HazBeen said:

That is actually why I was checking the Mosaic out (what does it do). Turns out is is a doubler with a short delay (I would assume around the 20ms mark) and the octave up. I know my Helix has both, so I am going to try to get my current “faux” 8 string patch to the next level :)

Any success in getting a Helix patch that comes close? Or is the Mosaic safe on my board for another day and one about to be acquired for yours?! 

Guess I'd best reveal all over the weekend once this thread has had a week to run. I suspect the answer may come as more of as a surprise to some than others!

37 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Any success in getting a Helix patch that comes close? Or is the Mosaic safe on my board for another day and one about to be acquired for yours?! 

Guess I'd best reveal all over the weekend once this thread has had a week to run. I suspect the answer may come as more of as a surprise to some than others!

Not had the time yet. Simple as

@Al Krow, really my dear boy. This is futile. You have an 8 string! Besides, as I'm sure after you played my 8 and 12, you realise that pedals won't have the same effect. If you emphasised the harmonic content of the signal more nobody would even have any doubt as to which was which as the top end of the pedal signal would sound too uniform and plastic sounding.

• Like 1

Time to reveal all:

Well most of you worked it out correctly!

I think that half of the folk who could tell the 8 string apart "easily" from the Mosaic themselves have 8 or 12 string basses;

40% of thought the Mosaic came pretty close even though you spotted it in action;

20% of you were entirely fooled by the Mosaic (good effort eh, little pedal ?!);

And I know one of you is very interested in getting a Mosaic for themselves...well if Hazbeen comes up with a Helix patch that does the job as well as the Mosaic, there may be one going spare :) 

The answer: is clip "B" was the 8 string (Schecter Stiletto 8 ) clip "A" was a Yammy BB1025 plus Mosaic.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Apologies for reviving a zombie thread, but just as a nice little coda...

I'm usually pretty "@FinnDave" in my approach to pedals i.e. I don't take any pedals to rehearsals or gigs other than a tuner, although I love messing about with them at home. Simply bass --> amp & cab.

The sax player in one of the covers bands I'm in has recently left the UK to head down under with work; so instrumentally we're down to bass + guitar (and drums).

Thought I'd give the Mosaic a spin tonight and it worked an absolute treat in filling out the sound in combination with me hitting the lows on a 5 string, with virtually no latency. Great little pedal - highly recommend for exactly this job. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I had a Ric 4003s8 for a few years. The string courses were reversed compared to most 8 string basses. It was a fantastic bass, only sold to fund my custom Alembic. I really wish I still had it. 

Wow! That sounds like an amazing 8 string!! (As does a custom Alembic btw!)

Do you have any pics of your s8 - and did you manage to use it in anger live?

Well our iMac just died and any pictures are on there, although we’re hoping to recover them in the next few days.

Yes, at the time I bought it I used it as my main bass in my band, which was a power pop thing. It sounded great IMO, although it could be a bit of a bear when playing very fast runs, as all 8s are.The strings it came with were quite light in the E and possibly A IIRC; think the E was a 90. The G was a 45. When I sold it it had a 45-105 Roto 8 string set on it, but it didn’t like those anywhere near as much as the Ric strings. 

9 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I never saw this thread before, but yes, it was easy to tell them apart. But as you say, if you have an 8 string maybe it is easier?

Agreed in terms of telling them apart.

My thinking on using an octave-up pedal I guess boils down to just a couple of points:

You're not going to want to play an 8 string on every song, so potentially means taking a couple of basses to rehearsals / gigs. A pedal is just handy when you have one as capable as the Mosaic which does seem 'good enough' particularly in a band mix, and you can kick on and off mid song or between songs.

To get an octave-up equivalent to what I was doing with a 5 string, you'd need to restring the bass B, E, A, D (plus their 4 octave strings), which is definitely possible I'm sure, although I wonder how many folk have done that in practice? 

Edited by Al Krow

• 4 months later...
On 06/01/2019 at 16:00, EMG456 said:

@Al Krow I have an Ibanez Studio 8 which I bought new in 1980. Here's the thing- it has never really found a musical home with me. I have noodled on it in the house and I once in a blue moon take it to a gig and let it rip but the sound is so different to a standard bass that I find it's all but impossible to slip it into the usual situations. By comparison with almost any other bass it sounds loud and brash if you're using it to play the standard basslines. 

So I think you would be looking at using it in certain situations, with parts written specifically to suit an 8 string. For me it would be too much to play it all night. It's such a big sound that much like what happens when I play Chapman Stick on some songs, the rest of the band would likely have to adjust what they play to take account of the new sonic landscape.

I play finger style, so it's always both strings at once for me and I can't imagine how you could cleanly and solidly select just the lower string whilst still playing fluently but no doubt someone with a better facility than myself might be able to do it!

I have only ever recorded once with it and the song never made it past the demo stage, so I'm afraid I have no evidence for the court! This thread has however minded me to dig it out and take it to a rehearsal. The folky band I'm playing with just now would probably be a good setting for it and in any event I will enjoy the looks on their faces as I once again bring something odd to the party!

In terms of recorded 8 strings, Chris Squire played one occasionally and I remember Greg Lake had a beautiful Alembic 8 although whether he recorded with it, I have no idea.

Greg recorded both Fanfare For The Common Man and Pirates (ELP album -Works ) using his Alembic 8. 

1 hour ago, BritBass 2 said:

Greg recorded both Fanfare For The Common Man and Pirates (ELP album -Works ) using his Alembic 8. 

That is an impressive spot from a 15 month old post! I take it you're a bit of an 8 string and / or Greg Lake fan?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Clip A sounds really artificial to my ears.

<EDit> Now I've read the comments to see if I was right and I was!

Some suggestions owning an 8-string makes it easier. I don't but I have an octaver, and there's a sort of distnctive artificiality to the sound of one, not unpleasant, but definitely there in that first clip.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

I have an Ibanez Studio 8. Yes it's a beast. It sounds like a tractor trailor rolling down the street on all settings and eats all other tones produced by all other instruments. I used to down-tune the higher strings by a fourth and d.t. the E strings to C's and it produced a hybrid super-guitar-bass sound. Removed the frets (and most of the body). I have a photo somewhere I posted it in "Ugly basses".

IMG_20210304_152221084 (1).jpg

• Like 1