Why become a member? ×

Protecting back of the bass..?

pburrows

Dudes. Has anyone got any ideas or expertise on sropping buckle rash? I’m going to start wearing a bullet belt and it’s going to shred the back of my bass if I don’t do something to protect it. I’m thinking about laptop screen protection film or something similar. The bass is nitro painted so I’d like to be able to remove it if possible.

Any tips or ideas welcome 👍

• Like 1

I wear my belt with the buckle to the side so it's over my hip rather than above my gentlemen area. It probably looks a bit daft if you've got your shirt tucked in but with the shirt untucked the buckle isn't visible. 

• Like 1

Just now, Osiris said:

I wear my belt with the buckle to the side so it's over my hip rather than above my gentlemen area. It probably looks a bit daft if you've got your shirt tucked in but with the shirt untucked the buckle isn't visible. 

Me too

Wear a different belt when you're playing??

I occasionally wear a belt with a small but potentially scratchy buckle, and just slip it round so the buckle is on my hip out of the way. (As @Osiris just said while I was typing 🙂 ) Or pull my shirt or t-shirt out of my trousers enough to hang down over it. 

My 2002 Jazz is pretty much immaculate apart from horrendous buckle rash that looks like someone deliberately took a coarse metal rasp to the whole of the back. Can't understand how anyone could have such a gorgeous bass and let that happen to it. Credit for thinking about it! 

Buy a fridge or tv, accept delivery, then discard the tv/fridge and cut the polystyrene packaging panels sides down such that you end up with a piece of around 12 inches square. Glue this to the back of your bass. Now your belt is distanced from your bass’s rear surfaces. 7-8 inches of separation should be adequate 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

Don't wear a belt. I've never wore one and not put a single scratch on the back of any bass in 36 yrs of playing. 

I tried that once.  Midway through the first song, my jeans fell down.