Why become a member? ×

What is it with BC and hostility??!

Bassislife16

There used to be  1 or 2 nasty people when I first joined, but most get fed up and leave if they are not getting the attention they think they deserve. I have had disagreements, and got into some heated discussions, but seem to sort it out with a pm. I think a lot of people get exasperated, and get a little hot under the collar on occasion, but as pointed out, it is usually a misunderstanding. I have had many years of free enjoyment out of this forum

• Like 2

This may have been said earlier in the thread but I see this hostility always increase during the winters on many forums from photography to motorbiking to bass to cycling. People cannot get outside so much, it's dark from mid afternoon, for some musicians gigs generally slow down and we are all trapped inside our boxes. It is not surprising; sad, but not surprising that we behave more like caged animals rather than human beings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been on the forum for about 10yrs and it's fair to say it has changed, as would be expected. 

There were times when I first joined you'd get a proper verbal bust up. Posters would carry on into the early hours (some of the best threads would be active at 2 or 3 in the morning). It was busier. The membership was a little more diverse, especially age wise. It was it bit more raw, forthright and antagonistic at times, now it's more middle aged male grumpiness.

It has always, ultimately, been friendly though. I may not have met them, but I regard some of the people I've 'met' on BC to be true friends.

The place went downhill though when Bilbo ditched his carrots. Skank valiantly rescued them, but it still wasn't the same.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 05/01/2019 at 13:19, Maude said:

I'd agree with @EBS_freakabout misunderstanding the intention of the post.

You’re literally doing it without realising it 😂

This is what I mean, it’s like everyone has to justify themselves or even have a reason for posting on here, sharing opinions etc seems to get very heated and that which I won’t involve myself in. 

The intention of the post is irrelevant, was a passing thought and how I’ve felt about BC the past few weeks, With people being completely unaware that the “Christmas spirit” should be kindness to all, not jumping down each other’s throats or breaking someone’s jaw for a last minute present on Xmas eve. 

Edited by Bassislife16
Spelling error

2 minutes ago, Bassislife16 said:

Put a smiley face at the end and all is well :) :) :) 

I'm really not sure what you're trying to get at. 

I don't get drawn into the arguments on here because, as I'm sure I've posted before, Internet arguing, where nobody wins and everyone looks like d!cks. 

I'm pretty laid back in life and on here and as far as I'm aware I've never upset anyone on here. 

So I'll just wish you a happy new year and leave it at that. 

No smiley as that appears to cause upset. 

• Like 3

On 04/01/2019 at 21:26, silverfoxnik said:

This is still the best place to find out about all things 'bass' IMO, whether that's double-bass, bass guitar, EUB, amps, cabs, FX etc, etc. 

Sure, some of the threads are a bit repetitious and some of the same topics produce the same arguments...which every now and again get a bit fractious..handbaggs at dawn and all that.. 😁

But by and large, those things are far outweighed by the positives that Basschat provides on tap, every day, week, month without fail! Gear advice, technical advice, music theory advice, support from a community of like-minded people (broadly speaking), for sale forums, off-topic debate & discussions.. The list of positives is almost endless

If there'd been somewhere I could get all this for free when I first started playing bass in the mid 70s, I'd have absolutely loved it. And I'm sure it would have made me a better bass player and musician. 

Thought I'd just quote this again for the OP. 👍

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Maude said:

I'm really not sure what you're trying to get at. 

I don't get drawn into the arguments on here because, as I'm sure I've posted before, Internet arguing, where nobody wins and everyone looks like d!cks. 

I'm pretty laid back in life and on here and as far as I'm aware I've never upset anyone on here. 

So I'll just wish you a happy new year and leave it at that. 

No smiley as that appears to cause upset. 

What I was getting at was on here it seems everyone has to justify a reason why they are on here and why they are posting so so, to everyone else. 

Im laid back too, I like a friendly atmosphere and polite chat rather than, so and so is a knob because of so and so.

I just don’t understand why drama is such an attraction to cause to BC’ers so quickly is all. 

Happy new year to you too!

3 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Thought I'd just quote this again for the OP. 👍

Thank you sir. I definitely agree! I love BC, a lot of BC’ers are very helpful and friendly, mods & admins are fantastic at what they do too. I’d rather keep personal opinions etc off here however because I know confrontations and heated debates get people banned, with how much I like to read through BC, I wouldn’t want that.

1 minute ago, Bassislife16 said:

Thank you sir. I definitely agree! I love BC, a lot of BC’ers are very helpful and friendly, mods & admins are fantastic at what they do too. I’d rather keep personal opinions etc off here however because I know confrontations and heated debates get people banned, with how much I like to read through BC, I wouldn’t want that.

Thanks for your reply. 👍 You should link us up with the hostile threads, so we can all have a look. 😁

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Thanks for your reply. 👍 You should link us up with the hostile threads, so we can all have a look. 😁

There isn’t hostile threads per se. Hostility of actual members in the way they compose themselves in comments and answers. Plus the mods do a good job of getting rid of any hostility before many people get chance to see it 👍🏻

4 minutes ago, Bassislife16 said:

There isn’t hostile threads per se. Hostility of actual members in the way they compose themselves in comments and answers. Plus the mods do a good job of getting rid of any hostility before many people get chance to see it 👍🏻

So there isn't really a problem? So glad I ploughed through 8 pages of this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5