Why become a member? ×

What is it with BC and hostility??!

Bassislife16

I'm not on any other forum so I have no frame of reference but I am sympathetic to the OP's view.  I do feel it's a less friendly place than before, whether this is part of a cycle who knows.  It is a minority of members and I tend to stay away from threads where I see they are 'engaged'.

4 minutes ago, thepurpleblob said:

Not here - but I am moderator in a couple of other sites (one a BMW forum and the other a well known education platform) and we just don't put up with any crap. There's *always* somebody who wants to spoil things and good moderation is needed to jump on it. 

The reason why we are banging on about reporting what you (as the BC community) think is causing trouble is that we mods, as a team, can't guarantee to read ALL the posts in ALL threads. However, we act very fast on anything that gets reported. :)

3 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

The reason why we are banging on about reporting what you (as the BC community) think is causing trouble is that we mods, as a team, can't guarantee to read ALL the posts in ALL threads. However, we act very fast on anything that gets reported. :)

For the record... I'm not having a pop at the mods. It's a thankless task. 

1 hour ago, Bassislife16 said:

I have to disagree, as a new member I’m already considering stopping using BC because of the unfriendly atmosphere that have been demonstrated to me by a few members, as a bloke with a memory like a siv and more problems to deal with everyday than a lot of people I just feel coming on here is developing more confrontations in my life rather than the virtual escape I intended it to be. 

Stick with us @Bassislife16, I’ve been in the middle of some discussions that made me want to leave, I’ve also occasionally said a thing or two on here that I regretted, but the longer you use BC the more you’ll see that most of the time it’s actually one of the more reasonable corners of the internet and a huge wealth of knowledge and experience is on tap. Lots of people are opinionated, sometimes vociferously so, but 9/10 it’s  wisdom and occasionally that wisdom is a bit angsty.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Stick with us @Bassislife16, I’ve been in the middle of some discussions that made me want to leave, I’ve also occasionally said a thing or two on here that I regretted, but the longer you use BC the more you’ll see that most of the time it’s actually one of the more reasonable corners of the internet and a huge wealth of knowledge and experience is on tap. Lots of people are opinionated, sometimes vociferously so, but 9/10 it’s  wisdom and occasionally that wisdom is a bit angsty.

😎

28 minutes ago, thepurpleblob said:

For the record... I'm not having a pop at the mods. It's a thankless task. 

As an admin of a large (unrelated) forum - Nah, I don't think it is... for sure there will always be no thanks from certain elements (those who live under bridges for instance), but (IMHO) there's love to be felt from the normal, the great and the good. 😁

Edited by Ricky 4000

11 hours ago, Bassislife16 said:

I have to disagree, as a new member I’m already considering stopping using BC because of the unfriendly atmosphere that have been demonstrated to me by a few members, as a bloke with a memory like a siv and more problems to deal with everyday than a lot of people I just feel coming on here is developing more confrontations in my life rather than the virtual escape I intended it to be. 

Please don't stop using BC Bassislife - there are many, many good people on here who are always willing to share their knowledge, there time, and offer their support. The cr*p is pretty rare & can be avoided.

Edited by Teebs

1 minute ago, Teebs said:

Please don't stop using BC Basslife - there are many, many good people on here who are always willing to share their knowledge, there time, and offer their support. The cr*p is pretty rare & can be avoided.

Heh, I thought that said “The c*rp is pretty rare...”, wondered how I’d ended up on a fishing forum.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Bassislife16 said:

I’m on here quite regularly nowadays, I’ve noticed so many BC’ers are fast to create drama and hostility towards each other and jump down each other’s throats, what’s the deal? 

What happened to peace & love among bassists???

Unfortunately, there are a few (very few) on here and many in the outside world born with a very worrying medical problem. They have a brush shoved so far up their bottom that even Dr Frankenstein could not remove it. It probably was there from birth and obviously as such they deserve concessions. Please don't be too harsh on the minority,, they know not what they do.

2 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Please don't stop using BC Basslife - there are many, many good people on here who are always willing to share their knowledge, there time, and offer their support. The cr*p is pretty rare & can be avoided.

This is very true teebs   The knowledge of people on here about basses , pedals, amps, cabinets etc is incredible , if you ask the question you will get the  answer , where else could you get that 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

Hey I’m big enough to say I can be a bit angsty - but it’s usually backed up through my experience and me being passionate enough for others not to make the same mistakes as I have. If I see people talk bull, I’ll pull people up on it - because I’m amazed at how many people talk with authority about gear or subjects that they have zero experience of... self appointed experts if you will.

I’m hoping those that meet me in real life can see that I’m a good egg and if you read the threads I participate in and those that I have written lengthy PM exchanges with, will see that I only have the best interests of everybody at heart. Life is too short to be making mistakes and playing through stinky poo gear.

Im sure there’s a few people on here that my input on FRFR and inears alone has changed their gigging life... for the better!

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 6

An example of BC goodness... Not naming names, but I found one member's avatar somewhat offensive, contacted him by pm and explained, very mildly without confrontation, why. Avatar changed immediately.  Mods not involved. 🙂 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bassislife16 said:

I’m on here quite regularly nowadays, I’ve noticed so many BC’ers are fast to create drama and hostility towards each other and jump down each other’s throats, what’s the deal? 

What happened to peace & love among bassists???

It left when a lot of the long standing members left. Still one or two that think they are the dogs nuts, but  should know better. 

Not a great place here these days, although it still has its uses. 

• Like 2

It's a place full of mainly grumpy, old, over-entitled men who have vastly over-stayed their welcome on the stage and whose opinions are, frankly, almost irrelevant.

But that's the House of Lords...thank god BC is nothing like that.

:)

• Haha 13

9 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

It left when a lot of the long standing members left. Still one or two that think they are the dogs nuts, but  should know better. 

Not a great place here these days, although it still has its uses. 

For as long as I can remember there have been posters trying to get the rise out of others and people moaning about how BC is not what it was. When was the Golden Age of BC? BC has only been affected by the proliferation of other social media, not by a handful of 'long standing' members leaving.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, skankdelvar said:

Something which often gets forgotten when we talk about moderation on the forum is just how incredibly handsome @ped is.

I'm completely heterosexual but he's so lush I'd go down on him, no question :i-m_so_happy:

Apparently he does the clubs in a knock-off fighter pilot's uniform. Oooh Matron!

4 hours ago, Bassislife16 said:

Heat/kitchen. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1