Why become a member? ×

What is it with BC and hostility??!

Bassislife16

In some respects I think it’s the words written, most of communication is taken by visuals, as well as tone of voice - remove those and you’re left with just the words which will more than likely seem much harsher than were intended. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Bassislife16 said:

I’m on here quite regularly nowadays, I’ve noticed so many BC’ers are fast to create drama and hostility towards each other and jump down each other’s throats, what’s the deal? 

What happened to peace & love among bassists???

Certainly among the better forums I've been on, along with Cyclechat.

"I’ve noticed so many BC’ers are fast to create drama and hostility towards each other and jump down each other’s throats.."

Wanna step outside and say that??? :facepalm::facepalm:

Seriously though...I've got to agree. I've read some very confrontational responses to posts recently which really didn't need to read the way they did - I've had former members tell me that's why they've stop posting and/or visiting the forum. 

I'm surprised it's taken so long for somebody to mention it TBH.

• Like 2

I think you’ll find we’re well known for being a very open and friendly forum. Naturally things get heated now and then but usually during the holidays when people are stressed. At the end of the day, be the change you want to see. More often than not any ‘hostility’ is closed down by sensible members. Also, there’s a report button. 

• Like 12

I’d also add that having been on the forum since day one, there’s been no discernible change and we’ve had this topic now and then, it always goes in cycles. 

Finally, another mention for the report button. Did you report any of it?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bassislife16 said:

I’m on here quite regularly nowadays, I’ve noticed so many BC’ers are fast to create drama and hostility towards each other and jump down each other’s throats, what’s the deal? 

What happened to peace & love among bassists???

Man up. There's some love and understanding for you.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ped said:

...Finally, another mention for the report button. Did you report any of it?

... and, just in case there are those that have not yet noticed it, the Report button is here, top right of every post (encircled in Red in this screenshot...)...

GYBWXO4.jpg

Edited by Dad3353

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

... and, just in case there are those that have not yet noticed it, the Report button is here (encircled in Red...)...

GYBWXO4.jpg

For those on mobile browsers you can report here circled in green:

Don’t report @ped though!

5E6633B6-4C87-4125-83F6-D80794240A9D.jpeg

Edited by ianrendall
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ped said:

I’d also add that having been on the forum since day one, there’s been no discernible change and we’ve had this topic now and then, it always goes in cycles. 

Finally, another mention for the report button. Did you report any of it?

FYI on an iPad in landscape mode the report button is just very very light grey text on a white background, almost invisible. It’s fine in portrait mode though which switches to a different style!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been at the wrong end of mild hostility before and it’s not pleasant. I do my utmost to try and diffuse the situation myself. More often than not, other BCers will also help to diffuse. Also more often than not, it’s a case of the wrong end of the stick or a simple misunderstanding. 😁

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ped said:

Naturally things get heated now and then but usually during the holidays when people are stressed

Why the f**k are folks stressed during the holidays? 

All joking aside, if you think it gets hostile here you're clearly not spending enough time on twitter. BC's a forum, a place where ideas and views can be exchanged. A big problem is not hostility per se, but that people confuse disagreement with hostility.    

• Like 3

Being fairly new here, I personally think it's one of the better forums I've ever used, especially considering the quantity of posts and the number of members. People will always disagree on certain issues, and things said tongue in cheek can often be misread and misunderstood. But I've yet to see any active trolling or outright nastiness, which is more than you can say for the internet at large, and I'm quite a sensitive soul, having left Facebook and all other forms of social media for that exact reason. Well, that and unregulated public displays of stupidity. 

• Like 6

Sign of the times to an extent,  just look at political debates etc.

BC certainly is significantly more friendly than most forums but alas we are not immune to people getting aggravated and aggressive. We do however take all reports very seriously and will intervene as required (as Ped and Dad said, use the report button).

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Also, while I think about it. I'd like to say a big thank you and well done to the moderators on here. It's a thankless task and there's a fine line between over moderation and allowing things to just run rampant. I think this forum has got the balance just right. 

Thanks, in the name of all the Mod and Admin folks. :hi:

Now be off with you; get back to practising the bass lines for your next gig..! ¬¬

:lol: :P

• Like 3