Why become a member? ×

Returning to Double Bass after a heart attack

Bilbo

I got that particular kick in the nadjers on 13th December and have not played the double bass since. I have always found the instrument a physical challenge so am wary of the fact that I have gigs in about three weeks that I need to consider depping out or not. In short, has anyone been in this position and returned to the double bass successfully and without aggravating their general health? I would welcome your thoughts. 

• Sad 2

That. Totally depends on the severity of your HA.  Long spectrum from a serious kick in the ventricles to barely more than a warning. You're two weeks from it which isn't long and recovery regime will totally depends on where in the spectrum you are. I was told to build up steadily and don't mollycoddle yourself too much.  The secret is to avoid sudden changes in exertion levels and not to strain yourself.  Can't see playing DB is going to do either unless you're pretty bad anyway. Worries me that you say you find a DB a physical challenge. In what way? 

Edited by lownote12

45 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I got that particular kick in the nadjers on 13th December and have not played the double bass since. I have always found the instrument a physical challenge so am wary of the fact that I have gigs in about three weeks that I need to consider depping out or not. In short, has anyone been in this position and returned to the double bass successfully and without aggravating their general health? I would welcome your thoughts. 

Are you okay first of all? Did the doctors discuss fitting a pacemaker or ICD? I hope it wasn't blood clot related. 

40 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

That. Totally depends on the severity of your HA.  Long spectrum from a serious kick in the ventricles to barely more than a warning. You're two weeks from it which isn't long and recovery regime will totally depends on where in the spectrum you are. I was told to build up steadily and don't mollycoddle yourself too much.  The secret is to avoid sudden changes in exertion levels and not to strain yourself.  Can't see playing DB is going to do either unless you're pretty bad anyway. Worries me that you say you find a DB a physical challenge. In what way? 

Makes sense. I have a cardio rehab assessment next week so will start to work with the information I get there. I got away with angioplasty so minimal fallout in terms of physical invasive procedures but not sure how much damage was done.

The physical thing about the bass is linked to how I feel at the end of a gig. On electric, I can play for hours without a problem but, on double bass, I struggle by the end of two sets. Recent adjustments to the bass have helped but gaps between gigs are impeding the development of gig ready stamina. Reverting to electric is certainly an option. 

PS cardiologists don't play bass. 

Ah, you might have got away with angioplaster, but how much damage was done when your cardial infarcted?  That's the kicker. Angioplastery is all about what's needed to keep your cardio pipes open. That's quite irrelevant to your recovery regime, which is predicated on the damage done.

If it was me I'd discuss this openly with the cardios but expect them not to play bass and in particular don't expect too much in the way of expert judgement from the rehab nurses.  Then I'd slap some flats on me electric, turn off any actives, play over the neck pup and pretend you're a DB player.  Until you're totally back to normal.     

FWIW I'm having the same discussion with them about paragliding and my ticker kicked off last May. 

Edited by lownote12

I had a very mild heart attack in 2001 and was in hospital for four weeks. When I was discharged I was told to take it easy for a short while but otherwise carry on as usual. On my first day after discharge I decided to buy some new hifi speakers. I managed to get them home but upon trying to site them, it triggered a massive arythmia. I was back in hospital for another four weeks and to this day am on medication to control the heart rate.

Please speak to your cardio, not a bunch of nice if not medically qualified bass musicians. Cardio may no play bass but they know about lifting weights.

• Sad 1

Oh man that's bad news. I've no experience to answer your question but I hope you're swinging again soon.

*Edit: I mean in a rhythmic context. Extra points for it in a marital context.*

Edited by visog

Bilbo, so sorry to hear the news, but very glad you're still here to tell us about it. Please do not think for one second that BC is the place to ask for advice. Nothing is worth the risk, least of all a gig too soon. You will have hundreds of gigs down the line, but you've got one heart, look after it mate. Cheers. Chris

• Like 4

As a fellow owner of this particular t-shirt, the only 2p coins I have to throw in would be...

Load NOTHING! Make the rest of the band wear the roadie shoes for a while, and milk it long afterwards!

Tick the 'park it firmly on a stool and use the electric' box until damn sure otherwise.

The most important factor in any of it is (IMO, of course) is any stressing about literally anything. I personally don't suffer the nervous gig disease, so have a word with that bloke in the mirror and if there's any worrying about any aspect of the whole thing, tell him to stay home. 

I had my little event on a Thursday afternoon and was considering playing a festival on the Sunday. Showing your face locally can have it's downsides - my cardiologist told me in no uncertain terms NOT to go, and as her son's band were on after us she'd find out! I had a week off.

• Like 1

:( Very sorry to hear about this development, chum. Hope you're feeling a bit better now.

If you're sufficiently doubtful as to be asking BC / your cardiologists whether you should take your DB out then don't, particularly as: "On electric, I can play for hours without a problem but, on double bass, I struggle by the end of two sets".

Onward and (cautiously) upward :)

• Like 3

Beedster and Vinny and others are right, be very careful.

I am not a cardiologist but here is my experience.

It depends on many variables, most importantly actual damage to your heart and of course your physical condition and general health.In  2017 I had angioplasty and a stent on October 10 and played a three hour gig on my EUB on the 14th with the doctor's OK.I had second stent put in another artery on October 25 and played a two hour gig just over a week later and played several more times in rehearsals and gigs in the next month, again with the doctor's OK.

I had not had a heart attack  and there was no damage to my heart, this was preventive work to clear some blockages.I am a lucky person in very good health and very fit due to my work as a farrier and an exercise program.I was 71 when the angioplasties were done and I have had no problems working or gigging since but I also stay in touch with my doctors and have had regular follow up appointments and tests and work hard to stay fit.

I felt great and the doctors agreed that I was clear to work so I did and I am still working and gigging in two bands.

Your situation will be different due to the fact that you had a heart attack but I was very lucky.

Please note that I am NOT saying that my experience is typical nor am I suggesting that anyone should do what I did.You will have to feel your way through this with your doctors and do what you can when you feel ready.

Many of us on here have had heart issues and I'm sure you will get lots of good advice but above all, be careful and take no silly risks.

Good luck and all the best for a quick recovery so you can get back to playing bass.

• Like 1

I can only offer basic observations based around two family members having suffered mild (ish) heart attacks in 2017, I have seen that both are far more cautious and aware than they were before it happened, both have done everything they can to eradicate stress from their lives, I help my father in law to do stuff now, he doesn't do lifting or anything overly energetic he is glad to let us do that part of any jobs, he is however back at work and has been for nearly a year.

My brother in law had a more severe heart attack, his recovery has been slower but again he has changed the way he does things, avoided stress and heavy lifting but has made sure he is doing regular light exercise on a daily basis.

Both have been well guided by the cardio teams and doctors and have made changes to their lifestyles that those of us that have not experienced it should learn from, I am certainly more aware of my stress levels than ever before and I ensure I get some light exercise everyday.

Good luck with your recovery my friend

Two other things to consider. One is that if you had minimum symptoms the risk signals may not be there to warn you to take it easy. You may feel fine, you may not be fine.

Second, the drugs may impose their own limitations. For example beta blockers cap your heart rate and if you force the heart to push those limits  by exerting hard you can do damage. 

A couple of weeks is way too early to be trying to get back to normal. I was very similar to you and told not to work (non physical) for a month. Dep those gigs and in future find a way of making bass playing easy as possible. 

Edited by lownote12

15 hours ago, Bilbo said:

PS cardiologists don't play bass. 

Well, that's worth remembering.  Cardiologist can only give advice to other cardiologists :) 

Wishing you a speedy recovery!  Must have been/continue to be a worry.

2 hours ago, lownote12 said:

Two other things to consider. One is that if you had minimum symptoms the risk signals may not be there to warn you to take it easy. You may feel fine, you may not be fine.

Absolutely. There's a statistic out there somewhere that uses some pretty harsh language along the lines 'For 30 % of cardiac patients the first sign they have of a heart condition is death'. You've been very lucky Bilbo, you've had a relatively benign warning. 

2 hours ago, lownote12 said:

Second, the drugs may impose their own limitations. For example beta blockers cap your heart rate and if you force the heart to push those limits  by exerting hard you can do damage. 

This just adds to the mix. Not sure if you're medicated, but using the above example, beta blockers also upset your pacing, that is you can be going along feeling just fine and then suddenly you're light headed and feeling like you've run a marathon (this isn't true for everyone because we all differ in response to drugs). Drugs can also suppress symptoms that you're overdoing it/

So, in short, Lownote12's post is spot on, not only might you have not received a sign the first time around so why expect one second time around, but any drugs you're on my mask any signs even further.

Bilbo, I have no experience to offer in this regard: just wanted to say that I'm glad you survived and give my best wishes for a full recovery. In your shoes I'd be thinking about depping out gigs in 3 weeks time, but if you need someone to roadie or drive you around drop me a PM and I'll help out if I can.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Bilbo, I have no experience to offer in this regard: just wanted to say that I'm glad you survived and give my best wishes for a full recovery. In your shoes I'd be thinking about depping out gigs in 3 weeks time, but if you need someone to roadie or drive you around drop me a PM and I'll help out if I can.

Bless you, Pete. 

Bilbo, my only experience has been this year via both my dad and step dad, but given how they’ve been (although they’re both in their 80s) I would take it as easy as humanly possible. You take care of yourself and hope you get back to it when the time is right.