Why become a member? ×

Classic albums you completely missed.

Bilbo

Lots of people who know me know that I used to be in a band called No Quarter, named after the Led Zeppelin track. I just realised that I have never heard the albums Led Zeppelin 1, Led Zeppelin 3, In Through the Out Door, Presence or Physical Graffiti. I have never heard a Rolling Stones album, a Bob Dylan album or a David Bowie album. I have missed most of Pink Floyd's back catalogue, everything by Neil Young, Kiss, Aerosmith... The list is endless. What so called classics completely passed you by? 

The only Rolling Stones album I've listened to was my parents copy of 'Rolled Gold'. It was one of those those double albums that was probably one disc too long for my tastes.

Apart from being at house parties where a Beatles mad friend used to put on  'Revolver' and 'Sergeant Pepper',  I've never intentionally listened to a Beatles album.

20 minutes ago, Cato said:

The only Rolling Stones album I've listened to was my parents copy of 'Rolled Gold'. It was one of those those double albums that was probably one disc too long for my tastes.[...]

I remember Rolled Gold. IIRC it was an early 'Greatest Hits' compilation, so not really an album in the true sense(?), so your reputation is intact(?) 😁

edit: I'm still absorbing the weight of the opening post here... I kinda thought it was an 'unwritten law' to never admit to not ever owning 'Blonde on Blonde'... :swoon:

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1

I've never listened to a Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath or Judas Priest album.

Ive also never listened to an Oasis or Blur album - they completely passed me by at their prime and I now just associate them with pub indie bands. 

Until recently I'd also never listened to a David Bowie album (sorry!) and still have not knowingly listened to a Prince album.

Crikey what the hell was I doing all my life?

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Lots of people who know me know that I used to be in a band called No Quarter, named after the Led Zeppelin track. I just realised that I have never heard the albums Led Zeppelin 1, Led Zeppelin 3, In Through the Out Door, Presence or Physical Graffiti

Led Zeppelin 3 is by far my favourite Led Zep album.

They paused for a moment to do the (mostly) acoustic 'folk music' thing before heading down the hard rock road.

• Like 1

I've never listened to a Grateful Dead album. In fact I've never knowingly listened to a Grateful Dead song nor could I even name one of their songs or albums. Their entire musical output has utterly passed me by.

Edit: The Allman Brothers are another band like that. Never listened to anything they've ever done. Up until recently, I didn't even know that the Top Gear theme was one of their tracks. I'd always assumed it was a Ronnie Hazlehurst jungle or something.

Edited by AdrianP
  • Like 1

Growing up, I was pretty clued up about everything from David Bowie to the Rolling Stones. I think I had a pretty good musical education. I actively sought out stuff that was supposed to be classic so knew Led Zeppelin, a lot of punk and Motown etc. I never liked grunge so Nirvana's Nevermind was never part of my musical vocabulary and Jeff Buckley's Grace didn't do it for me. It wasn't until my mid 20s that I discovered Curtis Mayfield and my 30s that I got into The Band, both of whom I love.

53 minutes ago, AdrianP said:

I've never listened to a Grateful Dead album. In fact I've never knowingly listened to a Grateful Dead song nor could I even name one of their songs or albums. Their entire musical output has utterly passed me by.

I can't remember the last time I listened to anything by anyone except the Grateful Dead. All my non-Dead CDs are boxed away in the loft,  I have a few of their studio albums, which I listened to once and never played again. The gold is in the live work, and there is a vast number of CDs of their shows over the 30 years they played together.

Isn't it good to be on a forum where people can openly admit to possible gaps in their musical knowledge and don't get immediately crucified and name-called by others ?

Meanwhile, I shall continue trying to avoid hearing  "Top 10 Eurovision Songs You Won't Believe You Don't Know ! ", or something similarly clickbaity on YT...

• Like 1

Probably very few. I didn't really listen to music at all until I was about 14, and then immediately got into rock and metal. So anything prior to about 1988 wasn't even on my radar. I absolutely couldn't (and still can't) abide the "indie" music scene which was around in the 90's, especially any band that came out of Manchester, so I'd rather listen to a toilet flush than listen to Oasis, The Stone Roses, The Happy Mondays et all (if they're even considered classic) I later developed an appreciation for the Beatles and Stones, but more through compilation / best of albums than actual original releases. I like some blues stuff if it's wearing it's rock party disguise, and I just don't get Jazz at all. 

Half the time I haven't got a clue what people are talking about on here. I've never even heard of most of the bass players people always mention. I had YouTube Jaco just to see what the fuss was all about and to me (at least the one video I could stand to watch)  just looked and sounded like pretentious nonsense. 

So yup, pretty much a musical Heathen here. 

one mans classic album is another mans "nah, not my cup of tea"

Anyway listening to albums all the way through is so yesterday, if I want to check out an artist I just play their favourite tracks on Spotify.

Let's be honest how many albums are there where you like all the tracks? think we did a thread on that once

• Like 1

As with most people I guess, far too many to list here in a single post. Most of it is stuff I don't really regret not hearing first time around (life's too short to be overly concerned with that kind of thing 40 years on IMHO), but on reflection I should probably have paid more attention to bands like AC/DC and Queen at the time.

Edited by leftybassman392

I haven't missed many - at my school from the mid-70s we had a geography teacher who ran a music library from his own stock of albums - for 5p on a Friday you could check an album out for a week. That way you could at least give a fair run to things you'd hesitate to stump up your precious spending money on on a Saturday in Piccadilly Records in Manchester. As well as being able to sample most of the 'Classics',  I got to listen to things like Can, Bong, Tangerine Dream, Blue Oyster Cult, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Einstürzende Neubauten, Tomita, ELP, and an awful lot more. Some I liked, some I didn't (including the 'Classics'), but at least I got to hear them. In later years, when spending money for an album was less precious, I'd buy albums much more freely, but still in the spirit of 'A Belgian electric sousaphone quartet, you say? Let's give this a go' which that teacher had developed in us.

It was only years later that I really appreciated what this chap had done for me and a lot of my fellow pupils. I never did get to thank him. So thank you, Mr.Murphy; you started something. 

• Like 4

Pacific Ocean Blue by Dennis Wilson. 

Had mates rave about it for years, and I only listened to it about 3 years ago. It’s rough and a bit odd in places - think he was heavily lubricated during the making of the album.

but there are some real gems on it.

I don't think I've missed many either. I've been lucky enough to have musically inclined friends with wide-ranging tastes, so even if something isn't to my liking I'll have heard it.

I had a look at the two lists mentioned in this thread so far. Of the first I've heard at least a track or two off all the albums and actually own 6 of them, although only one (Ziggy Stardust - the first LP I ever bought) because I really like the music, the others I own because either I needed to learn songs from them in my covers band days, or because they were a couple of quid in Fopp and looked worth a punt (on the whole they weren't).

I was surprised to find that I own nearly 150 from the 1001 albums list, although not one of my top 5 all-time albums were on it.

I too have never heard a whole Stones album, or Bowie, or the Dead, Kiss, Sabbath, errr, and many more.

I did a thing on Spotify last year where I went into the back catalogue of bands I'd heard a song or two by and listened to all their albums to see what else I liked - mostly 90s Indie stuff from my Uni days.

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Probably very few. I didn't really listen to music at all until I was about 14, and then immediately got into rock and metal. So anything prior to about 1988 wasn't even on my radar. I absolutely couldn't (and still can't) abide the "indie" music scene which was around in the 90's, especially any band that came out of Manchester, so I'd rather listen to a toilet flush than listen to Oasis, The Stone Roses, The Happy Mondays et all (if they're even considered classic) I later developed an appreciation for the Beatles and Stones, but more through compilation / best of albums than actual original releases. I like some blues stuff if it's wearing it's rock party disguise, and I just don't get Jazz at all. 

Half the time I haven't got a clue what people are talking about on here. I've never even heard of most of the bass players people always mention. I had YouTube Jaco just to see what the fuss was all about and to me (at least the one video I could stand to watch)  just looked and sounded like pretentious nonsense. 

So yup, pretty much a musical Heathen here. 

Similar to me, with the big exception that getting into the rock and metal bands of the eighties led me to their origins in the blues based rock of the late sixties/early seventies. I felt almost duty bound to discover the bands that had influenced my contemporary favourites and so got into Free, Cream, Hendrix, Zep, Floyd, Yardbirds, Who, Uriah Heep, Sabbath, Jeff Beck, Jethro Tull and more. The British bass players of that period are essential listening and it is thought of all over the world  as a golden age for rock bass playing. Have a listen to Jack Bruce, Andy Fraser, Chris Squire, John Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Glenn Cornick and Geezer Butler - you won't regret it.

• Thanks 1

There are artists who have passed me by for the simple reason that I wouldn't know where to start, Ry Cooder is a prime example. Others I've heard a bit and didn't like (e.g.Bob Dylan, Miles Davis). There are other artists who blow hot and cold for me but I do listen to the stuff that I like and filter out the rest, like Jeff Beck, who i think is a genius who often pushes the envelope a bit too far for me.

Edited by Japhet

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

I haven't missed many - at my school from the mid-70s we had a geography teacher who ran a music library from his own stock of albums - for 5p on a Friday you could check an album out for a week. That way you could at least give a fair run to things you'd hesitate to stump up your precious spending money on on a Saturday in Piccadilly Records in Manchester. As well as being able to sample most of the 'Classics',  I got to listen to things like Can, Bong, Tangerine Dream, Blue Oyster Cult, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Einstürzende Neubauten, Tomita, ELP, and an awful lot more. Some I liked, some I didn't (including the 'Classics'), but at least I got to hear them. In later years, when spending money for an album was less precious, I'd buy albums much more freely, but still in the spirit of 'A Belgian electric sousaphone quartet, you say? Let's give this a go' which that teacher had developed in us.

It was only years later that I really appreciated what this chap had done for me and a lot of my fellow pupils. I never did get to thank him. So thank you, Mr.Murphy; you started something. 

You lucky, lucky guy !

I,  (and I guess many other BCers) never had any teachers even remotely like this at their school

The same as everybody else I expect... there's loads of stuff deemed "classic" that I just don't like. The Stones is a good example - utterly lost on me. Most American rock bands and artists (a bit sweeping I know) I don't care for. And so on....

I staggered from prog rock beginnings at school to 80s/90s indy and such. 

Life's far too short to worry about such things!