Why become a member? ×

What is this 'Eros' bass?! (short scale / Matsumoku...)

Powertripper

Hey guys,

Can anybody help me identify this short-scale bass? I found it today at a second hand shop whilst buying something, and it was behind the counter where somebody had reserved it until the end of the day, but it was nearly closing time and they'd not returned It was an 'EROS'; I'd never heard of it, but a quick Google revealed multiple suggestions that this was something out of the Matsumoku factory in the 70's? This one says 'Made in Korea' on the back and I wonder if this is perhaps an 80's bass, but I'm guessing Eros was simply a distribution name for this bass and that there may be others out there under a different title. I'd love any information on it, especially as I love Matsumoku and have a '72 lawsuit 4001 that I think the world of it, so I said I'd go back in the morning. It was listed as £80 and if it's worth it, I'll get it.

Cheers!

Harry

49512230_329145887698159_6850863198107598848_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=f456707ca1fc2ceefe60b9e62c7b11c8&oe=5C95DBF549515769_320047215279356_282232943949119488_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=1d1aa7daf6d37db24ee5703f1edde4de&oe=5C95BE9C

Eros was a UK importer brand owned by Rosetti, and sourced instruments from several manufacturers.

Early Eros were Japanese, I've had two that were Matsumoku builds and one that was a Fujigen. Later examples - such as this - were Korean, so clearly nothing to do with Matsumoku or any other Japanese manufacturer. Likely to be late 70s/early 80s and from Cort or Samick.

As far as value's concerned - this is plainly a low-end beginner's bass. I'd say £80 for something as crude as this is wildly over the odds & probably about twice what it's worth. However if you really like it, knock yourself out! :D

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 07/02/2020 at 22:14, Pea Turgh said:

What’s that pickup, in that position, sound like?  Like tighter/lighter than a P?

The pickup is very light, being a single coil with not much output ... but when cranked and eq'ed it sound's quite funky and tight, not too trebly, nor too muddy ... somewhere in the middle, but still with good low end responce!

I may experiment with other pickups when I have time ... but it ain't really broke!

Eros P:UP.JPG