Why become a member? ×

Bass Repairs in Warwickshire Area

The59Sound

Might be worth contacting Richard's guitars in Stratford-upon-Avon.

https://rguitars.co.uk

I know he does set up work, but I'm not sure if that extends to fitting a new nut.

There's also Guitar Technical Services in Warwick.

http://www.guitartechnicalservices.co.uk

The guy has a very good reputation, but he does tend to be a bit more expensive than other luthiers/techs.

Definitely worth emailing/phoning round to get a few different quotes, there can be quite a variation in costs sometimes even for smallish jobs like this.

Edited by Cato

1 hour ago, Cato said:

There's also Guitar Technical Services in Warwick.

http://www.guitartechnicalservices.co.uk

The guy has a very good reputation, but he does tend to be a bit more expensive than other luthiers/techs.

I use Guitar Technical Services exclusively for all my instruments even though it is a 220 mile round trip for me, I’d use him exclusively if it were double that. I tried for years to find someone who actually knew what they were doing with guitars and basses with no luck. Lots of people (in my experience obv.) set themselves up as guitar experts with very little real experience or genuine knowledge, Peter at GTS is exactly the opposite, a real expert, a real craftsman. You’ll not find better.

Edited by Frank Blank

2 hours ago, The59Sound said:

Does anyone know a guitar tech or music shop in the Warwickshire area that could help me install a new nut on my bass? 

Looking to get my old one swapped out for a Tusq XL since it's seen better days. 

I have had two nuts (steady) swapped out at GTS, one bass, one classical guitar, superb job. He also explained to me how other ‘luthiers’ do it incorrectly.

19 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

Well thanks that, but before taking a dump on someone who is trying to help, perhaps you’d like to give some evidence as to why!

I wasn’t ‘taking a dump’ on anyone, absolutely no need to get so worked up. From my personal experience I wouldn’t take an instrument there. I took a very expensive instrument to him for a simple job and he messed it up. Have you actually used him? 

I also know someone else who went there and wasn’t exactly happy with the result. Unfortunately I found out afterwards.

Edited by ambient

5 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I have had two nuts (steady) swapped out at GTS, one bass, one classical guitar, superb job. He also explained to me how other ‘luthiers’ do it incorrectly.

I had a chat with him about defretting a bass a while back. He didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, but he did go to the trouble of explaining, in some depth, why it wasn't a good idea with that particular bass.

He impressed me enough that I'm probably going to ask him to take a look at one of my skinny stringers in the next couple of weeks. I don't mind paying a bit extra for someone who really knows what they're doing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cato said:

I had a chat with him about defretting a bass a while back. He didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, but he did go to the trouble of explaining, in some depth, why it wasn't a good idea with that particular bass.

He impressed me enough that I'm probably going to ask him to take a look at one of my skinny stringers in the next couple of weeks. I don't mind paying a bit extra for someone who really knows what they're doing.

That’s the huge thing, there are plenty of music shops with a guy who calls himself a ‘tech’. In reality they’re probably fine doing basic jobs; set-ups, maybe a bit of soldering if a new jack socket is needed, but anything more difficult than that, then they’re out of their depth, but will still have a go. I took an instrument to two places for something they both said they could do. The first was awful, absolutely terrible. I took it to the guy in Coventry to make good what the first guy had done, in doing the work he messed something else up. I should have been more patient and used JD, they’re brilliant but busy; they’re busy for a very good reason. There’s only two people I would use, who from my experience are great; in London Martin at the Gallery, Birmingham it’s JD.

4 minutes ago, Cato said:

He is very straight talking, you get used to it really quickly because he’s talking absolute sense. I am the same as you, I don’t mind paying a bit extra for good work. Having said that I took a bass up to be set up and just a few days before a bass of mine fell into a classical guitar I had at the time and damaged it, I mentioned it in an email to him and he said bring it up. He spent an hour carefully working on the damaged area, it was a real pleasure just watching him work. “There you go”, he said, handing me back the guitar, I couldn’t find the damaged area, he didn’t charge me a penny.

• Like 2

Just now, Billy Apple said:

Did you actually read my post?

I have you on ignore. Your attitude is awful and I can’t be bothered with you; to be honest I rarely come on here too often anyway, and following this I probably won’t again.

I merely said I wouldn’t go there. I have been there, and wouldn’t use them again. You took it as some kind of personal insult.

12 minutes ago, ambient said:

I have you on ignore. Your attitude is awful and I can’t be bothered with you; to be honest I rarely come on here too often anyway, and following this I probably won’t again.

I merely said I wouldn’t go there. I have been there, and wouldn’t use them again. You took it as some kind of personal insult.

Simply because you say not to go there without proffering a reason why. If the OP asks for help or advice then that’s what we give. Far from having a bad attitude I gave my opinion on a business that I’ve had very good service on 3 occasions. Twice with basses of a combined value of around £6k. The third time was for work done on a custom build that was near ruined by the Bass Doc. In the end John felt he couldn’t get the finish right and declined to charge me for a respray on what was very decent work. Also Martin Peterson at The Bass Gallery has seen the nut John changed on my NS2 and didn’t believe it wasn’t original from Spector. But, without any explanation you rubbish the guy with ‘don’t use him’.

I’m very comfortable with my attitude thank you, but perhaps you would like to look a little closer to home?

I hope from the advice given the OP manages to find the right person for the job.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ambient said:

Don’t go there.

This is the exact quote from your first post here. It doesn't read 'I won't go there', or 'I wouldn't go there', it reads 'Don't go there', with no explanation as to why. Do you not recognise that that's not the way to give helpful advice to folks..? You seem surprised that this has been picked up, by Mods. I'm disappointed that someone usually so careful in musical matters should be so lax in this. Some reflection needed, maybe..?
PS: having Mods on 'Ignore' is not conducive to healthy participation, either. We (the Mods...) do this for your, and everyone else's, benefit, freely. Hmm... Another disappointment.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

This is the exact quote from your first post here. It doesn't read 'I won't go there', or 'I wouldn't go there', it reads 'Don't go there', with no explanation as to why. Do you not recognise that that's not the way to give helpful advice to folks..? You seem surprised that this has been picked up, by Mods. I'm disappointed that someone usually so careful in musical matters should be so lax in this. Some reflection needed, maybe..?
PS: having Mods on 'Ignore' is not conducive to healthy participation, either. We (the Mods...) do this for your, and everyone else's, benefit, freely. Hmm... Another disappointment.

I have Asperger's Syndrome, I am prone on occasion to type what I am thinking, I generally proofread what I've typed before pressing submit reply, or I edit it later. On this occasion I didn't, but I did clarify why I wouldn't use the services of the guy in Coventry in a later post.

Billy Apple's reply to me was both confrontational and rather aggressive, and not something you'd expect from a moderator on an internet forum. His reply was direct; questioning. Surely is would have been better in his reply to have asked why, rather than to adopt such an aggressive, questioning manner?

I find things like this to be extremely upsetting; I have anxiety problems and really hate confrontation, people that know me in real life will vouch for that. I found this episode very depressing, I was actually awake for several hours last night, both annoyed and upset by this.

I am going to take my leave of this forum now, and will not be returning.

• Sad 2