Why become a member? ×

MarkBass Stu Amp 1000

dave_bass5

Not sure if this has been posted yet, bu ti came across this new MarkBass head just now and it looks rather interesting,

http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/mb-stu-amp-1000/

On paper it looks very impressive for what i would need, but its early days and price seem to be quite high (based on pre order in the USA).

Preamps: Solid State / Tube

Power Amp: MPT (MARK PROPRIETARY TECHNOLOGY)
Power: 1000W@4Ω / 600W@8Ω

Controls: Solid State Gain -Tube Gain- Volume

7 BAND GRAPHIC EQ (LEVEL ±16 DB): 
40HZ, 80HZ, 250HZ, 400HZ, 1.2KHZ, 2KHZ, 4KHZ  

OTHERS:
PASSIVE/ACTIVE INPUTS 
XLR LINE OUT WITH PRE/POST EQ AND GND LIFT SWITCHES
FX SEND/RETURN
TUNER OUT

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

It may be just me, but Markbass stuff is just so bloody ugly!

It looks like you've somehow managed to crash your bass rig into the Essex branch of Halfords. 

The orange is better than the usual yellow, but come on! 

Agree, i prefer the Orange to the yellow, although i love my red F1 even more. i wouldn't let the look put me off, but i know the price will.

8 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

It may be just me, but Markbass stuff is just so bloody ugly!

Yup it's just you. Oh yes, and a whole lot of other folk 😁

Cosmetics aside - not sure whether that's an actual tube preamp or the "tube amp emulator" found on the TTE 500 / 800?

EQ points look good (would have been nice to have had 800Hz, but that would have been icing on the cake) - has dealt with gaping EQ holes present in the LM3.

Likely to be darned sight more expensive than a Hartke 3500; but it's 1000W at 4 ohms not 350W at 4 ohms so quite a different beast, and Markbass have a reputation for quality.

The Hartke does have a 10 band EQ however...

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, krispn said:

The TTE amp had 4 valves- 3 in the preamp and eq plus one in the tube compressor. The TTE was in relation to emulating power amp valves with the class d power section. 

Ah cool! So, in principle, the TTE 500/800 is as close to a valve amp as a D class gets then! Maybe worth checking that one out further... I know @danbowskill had one and was loving it.

There's one in the FS right now too... :)

3 minutes ago, krispn said:

I used one for a few years. Good amp but some may find the eq limited with only three bands.

But something that could be easily fixed with a decent EQ pedal / preamp? 

Was it decently "valve amp" like?

But I'm guessing you prefer your Fender TB 600 as a better all round amp and also decently close to a valve amp sound?

Edited by Al Krow

53 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah cool! So, in principle, the TTE 500/800 is as close to a valve amp as a D class gets then! Maybe worth checking that one out further... I know @danbowskill had one and was loving it.

There's one in the FS right now too... :)

Great amps, albeit with limited EQ.  TTE500 is analog power section, but the 800 is digital.

• Like 1

Yeah my eq pedal worked well with it. It sounded good but lacked some of the features many similar priced amps have but still it's lightweight and did the job just plug and play. Simple and effective! The tube comp was a nice feature too.

The Fender amp is a far more versatile amp and works perfectly for my needs when playing live. I prefer it over the TTE but they are two very different amps in some respects in terms of sonic goals and overall features.

• Like 1

...ok thanks. Back to the plot: I think, between us, we've established on the Stu Markbass

a) that we have an actual tube pre-amp

b) a beast of a 1000W power amp at 4ohms

c) a pretty good 7 band EQ

d) that you should avoid looking at whilst playing or at least use a mirror to avoid being turned to stone.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, krispn said:

It tells you all that in the amp description on the website :)

except d)

The important thing on the website (apart from d) ) it's missing is the small point of "how much?"

I'm going to guesstimate £795 based on a US price of $899 but lower shipping costs.

It's most likely got the mini tube pre (not a 12ax7) as per the Momark and LM tube. The graphic looks to be from the Momark range too. The power section is per the Ninja head. It'll be in Markbass yellow too I reckon although the colour in the photo looks darker. Looks good to me but £800ish for far east product could be too high.

Surely Mark Bass have missed a trick by not calling it the STU HAMMP ? 😊

As has already been said it's not pretty, even by Mark Bass standards. Having just checked out the 2019 Ibanez range it seems this year's new bass gear is all about hideous aesthetics. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t mind the look actually - like an HA series Hartke but with big knobs nicked from an Orange and the general Markbass paint-job applied. As long as there are rack ears for it (there appear to be holes in the right places to attach them) then I could see myself quite fancying one.

My biggest issue with it is that it’s a signature model, and whilst I know who Stu Hamm is, I’ve only got passing interest in the artists he’s most associated with.

Oh, and our lead guitarist is called Stu. Maybe a bit of ‘tricians tape over that bit of lettering 🙂 

7 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

It's most likely got the mini tube pre (not a 12ax7) as per the Momark and LM tube. 

What are folks views on the mini-tube pre? 

It seems to me it'll be nowhere near what e.g. the TTE801/501 is delivering with their 3 x ('full') ECC83 valves in their preamp sections or other 'hybrid' amps from other manufacturers.

See, this is what Hartke should have done for a class D. Put the HA series preamp in with a massively light power section. Job done. But no, they minced about for years giving us untold levels of crap, unreliable and fictitiously spec'd amps (TX600 anyone?!!) and now Markbass have in effect done their amp as Hartke should have done 5 years ago albeit with a pretty abysmal paint job.

Congratulations Larry, you're "oot the game." Enjoy posting photos of Jaco's bass cabinet as that nostalgia is all that Hartke as a company have left.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

See, this is what Hartke should have done for a class D. Put the HA series preamp in with a massively light power section. Job done. But no, they minced about for years giving us untold levels of crap, unreliable and fictitiously spec'd amps (TX600 anyone?!!) and now Markbass have in effect done their amp as Hartke should have done 5 years ago albeit with a pretty abysmal paint job.

Congratulations Larry, you're "oot the game." Enjoy posting photos of Jaco's bass cabinet as that nostalgia is all that Hartke as a company have left.

He's turned into a bit of a tool on his facebook too.