Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot GP12 SMX pot problems!

ForbiddenWytch

Hi everyone

I have a Trace Elliot GP12 SMX (Model 4001) amp that I seem to have had the same trouble with since buying it. Basically, the input blend and EQ balance pots are both cutting out the sound quite badly. The Input Blend works okay when set to the FET side 100% but crackles, hisses and cuts out when I try turning it towards the valve side. I've tried changing the 12AX7 (like for like) and still have the same issue so it's not the pre amp valve. Intermittently it would work in places but you have to be really careful where you set it. The EQ Balance pot is much worse though. It feels very wobbly inside the actual pot and it is really un-usable. As much as I like having a treble heavy sound, having the EQ balance turned to nearly full High EQ bias really doesn't do it for me and it's the only spot that it seems to work alright in. 

If anyone on here has experienced the same issue, please let me know! I've got some gigs coming up next month with my new band and need to know if it's a simple solution I can sort at home or whether or not it needs running in to an amp tech somewhere.

As an extra note, the Input Blend knob does seem very scratchy as well when you turn it but I don't have any switch cleaner to spray inside it (would Isopropyl alcohol do the trick or would it destroy the pot?). Surely a "dirty pot" wouldn't be all that's causing the input blend issue? The EQ balance pot issue is totally beyond me though.

Thanks in advance

Edited by ForbiddenWytch

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/01/2019 at 10:32, MoonBassAlpha said:

Servisol switch cleaner works well. This is  probably all it needs. You'll need to get the case open to get at the pot properly. Working the pot back and forth multiple times often works just as well, or at least find more usable positions.

Thanks MBA! I'll try and get some of that and try it. Hopefully that sorts it out. I'll report back when I manage to get some Servisol.