Why become a member? ×

Keytars.. who owns one or has played one?

uk_lefty

IMO the main problem with how most keytars look is their size. They are either massive unwieldy things like the Roland one above or they are tiny toy-like devices. Plus you should never ever play the keys of a keytar with both hands. One hand on the keys and the other on the modulation controls at all times.

On 03/01/2019 at 15:13, tonyquipment said:

???

367F53C3-2311-4126-8AB0-268E9CA30562.jpeg

I tried to adapt this for my band's logo, failed (I am terrible with graphics). We are a 70s/80s jazz-rock band, yes keyboard player has a keytar. It always goes down a storm!

Our singer uses a Roland Lucina Keytar now, he's a very good keys player and it is SO much better than his previous monster keyboard.

The Lucina means he can move and engage and better. We all love it, we play covers ( varied rock and pop, lots of modern stuff) 

Frankly, I think all the 'uncool keyboards ' attitude  is rather outdated.  If it sounds good and does the job it works for me 😁. Gave up caring about looking cool many years ago - nothing changed 😉FB_IMG_1546640062215.jpg.78ec4e0a3655f8b6fcf4f6b65db3ea91.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

You are kidding right? Although, attention is taken off the keytar somewhat by (I presume) your slacks.

All I can say is we were gigging every weekend, in fact more often than I really wanted to (or agreed to when I joined) which partly contributed to me eventually parting ways with them.

6 minutes ago, KevB said:

All I can say is we were gigging every weekend, in fact more often than I really wanted to (or agreed to when I joined) which partly contributed to me eventually parting ways with them.

Since when is gigging every weekend a measure of coolness?

4 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Since when is gigging every weekend a measure of coolness?

Im sorry youve lost me. Where did I suggest the band was 'cool' (whichever of the no doubt hundreds of differing opinions you happen to hold of what iscool or not)? so Im out of this one. Bye.

On 03/01/2019 at 16:11, Teebs said:

Anyone else remember these?

Far cooler!

melodicas.jpg

Don't knock it. 

Off the top of my head New Order & Joy Division, Bauhaus, Gang of Four, Depeche Mode, David Bowie and The Kinks used a Melodica in their songs. 

If it's good enough for them, it's good for me. Although I prefer them fitted with the tube. 😉

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Maude said:

Don't knock it. 

Off the top of my head New Order & Joy Division, Bauhaus, Gang of Four, Depeche Mode, David Bowie and The Kinks used a Melodica in their songs. 

If it's good enough for them, it's good for me. Although I prefer them fitted with the tube. 😉

Many years ago I bought a dirt cheap melodica on whim with some vague idea of using it to learn how to play keyboard instruments.

My abiding memory of it is just how much phlegm got into the instrument in a relatively short space of time.

I still can't play keyboards to this day.

Edited by Cato
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Cato said:

Many years ago I bought a dirt cheap melodica on whim with some vague idea of using it to learn how to play keyboard instruments.

My abiding memory of it is just how much phlegm got into the instrument in a relatively short space of time.

I still can't play keyboards to this day.

Reminds me of the communal harmonica at school.

Ick.

Certainly one way of building the immune system.

On 03/01/2019 at 14:35, BigRedX said:

Well it looks as though I am the only person here with actual experience of owning a keytar.

Garage-1985.jpg

That's me in 1985 in my synth-rock band (like a synth-pop band but all the lead instruments went through distortion pedals). I'm playing a Yamaha KX5 which was the first affordable MIDI keytar costing about £350 IIRC. It didn't make any sounds of it's own being simply a MIDI controller keyboard. Mine was attached to a Casio CZ5000 keyboard. The first batch of MIDI key tars in the 80s weren't really ready for serious live use. My band had to quite a few modifications to ours in order for them to be reliable enough to gig, most notably replacing the MIDI DIN connection with a locking XLR and finding something more durable for the ribbon controller covering. Of course while we had them apart for these modifications we also took advantage of the fact to paint them some more interesting colours. Mine ended up gold, and my band mate's red and black tiger stripes. 

I think that photo is from the first gig we did using the KX5 so I'm still concentrating on playing it rather than throwing too many rock n roll shapes. Also being the support band at that gig I seem to remember there being limited stage space. On a well-designed keytar the performance controls will add a lot more expressiveness to the sounds - IMO the ribbon controller was far more useful than a pitch wheel in that it let me do "hammer-ons" as well as conventional pitch bending. 

The KX5 got sold a couple of years ago after sitting 25 years unused in its flight case. If I was going to get another one, I'd be looking at Alesis Vortex Wireless. I wouldn't consider getting one with built-in sounds as they are too limiting. Using a controller keyboard means you can choose the sound module you like rather than what is built into the keytar.

Owen from The Birthday Massacre uses a keytar to great effect live and it fits in perfectly with the band's dynamic stage performance.

You look awesome!