Why become a member? ×

Course recommendations for a student

Huw Foster

Hi everyone,

First of all - hopefully this is the right forum. Secondly, if this has been covered numerous times I apologise - had a quick scan through the forum and couldn't find anything.

A student of mine has asked me if there are any courses he can go through, with my assistance. He likes having something to aim for. We've already done the RGT grades, culminating in the grade 8 which he entered and passed around a year ago. 

Is there anything of a similar vein that can help him progress in a few selected disciplines? He's keen to work on:

• sight-reading (which is covered in the RGT books - perhaps something more prescriptive on that front?)
  • theory
  • improvising
  • techniques, e.g. slap

Thanks in advance,

Huw

Hey Huw,

Is your student after an online course, or something more along the lines of method books to work through?

Lots of online courses of varying quality out there, but I don't know how many have a specific goal or accreditation in the same way that the graded exams do.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if Berklee does online courses? I'd imagine that they'd have a more goal-oriented approach.

Other than that, I know that Joe Hubbard has a 2-year online programme. He might have something shorter as well - his style is fairly hardline, but his concepts and content are some of the best out there.