Why become a member? ×

String Guage Query (Drop B, 34" Scale, 4 String)

Ourobori

Evening guys, 

I've just bought a new 4 string bass (ESP B204SM) for use in one of my bands. I usually use a 5 string Schecter tuned to A# standard using a set of d'addario strings (.135, .105, .85, .65, .45) and I have previously used this bass in Drop B as well. The low string is great for B, but the others feel far too tense which leads me to think I may need a thinner string in those places. In fact the .65 won't go to a high E at all on that scale length (35"). 

Curious as to what guages you'd recommend for use on a 34" scale for Drop B (B, F#, b, e) .I realise the easy option is B standard and transpose but I'm very lazy in that regard!

Cheers for any help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, for that tuning I use a set of D'Addario EXL160BT.

The gauges are 120, 90, 67, 50. They are my go-to strings from any kind of D Standard/Drop C or C# Standard/Drop B. 

The best bit is that a full set can be bought for under £20. The equivalent prices for DR DDT strings, Circle K or Newtone strings 'optimised for downtuning' are usually double the price. 

As said you can also build your own set to your own preferred tension using the D'Addario guide. I am lazy and a cheapskate so prefer buying full sets. Also I have tried the DRs and ordered a set of Newtones and ended up preferring the D'Addarios anyway so I'm very happy so long as D'Addario never ever discontinue this set.