Why become a member? ×

Balanced input!

Horizontalste

Apologies if this seems like a daft question & I have used the search function to no avail but could someone explain the Balanced Input (xlr) on the front of my LMii?

My main question is would there be any benefit running my signal from the Balanced Output of my incoming Zoom B3 into the Balanced Input of the LM?

Cheers in advance!

34 minutes ago, Horizontalste said:

Apologies if this seems like a daft question & I have used the search function to no avail but could someone explain the Balanced Input (xlr) on the front of my LMii?

My main question is would there be any benefit running my signal from the Balanced Output of my incoming Zoom B3 into the Balanced Input of the LM?

Cheers in advance!

Less chance of signal degradation over longer cable runs. How it does this, is that the same signal is sent down the two cables but crucially, the polarity of the signal on one of the cables is reversed. Any noise that is introduced on the cable run, will be present on both cables and is then eliminated when the polarity of the one cable is reversed then summed with the other.

I think the thinking behind the LM2 balanced input was for double bass pickups?

Would there be any benefit of running your Zoom B3 balanced output into the balanced input - absolutely - but the length of cable you are probably talking, you won't be able to hear it.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Less chance of signal degradation over longer cable runs. How it does this, is that the same signal is sent down the two cables but crucially, the polarity of the signal on one of the cables is reversed. Any noise that is introduced on the cable run is present on both cables is eliminated when the polarity of the one cable is reversed then summed with the other.

I think the thinking behind the LM2 balanced input was for double bass pickups?

Would there be any benefit of running your Zoom B3 balanced output into the balanced input - absolutely - but the length of cable you are probably talking, you won't be able to hear it.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, I think I get it now!

Cheers