Why become a member? ×

Am i finally out of touch? ..are you?

Barking Spiders

What goes around comes around I say....Good music will always be good music and it can be found across genres and enjoyed by any and every generation. I have two kids 16 & 20 and their playlists have loads of really 'old' stuff on that I love and also music that makes me very grumpy!!! 

With the way the internet provides access to so much new and interesting music it would impossible for anyone to be in-touch with everything...Just look at the Christmas 2018 Number 1 and how the singles chart goes up and down. https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/ No point trying to keep up with that!! Spotify has done a great job at getting new music out to new audiences and I for one regularly listen to new stuff that I would never have found if it wasn't suggested by Spotify.

'Out of touch' is the new 'In the groove'.....maybe....

I wouldn't say I was in touch, but in my experience most, if not all, of the recent music I hear on the radio hasn't moved very far from my Stax and Atlantic upbringing.

I am very comfortable playing songs from any era. These days I don't have enough memory for the likes of Mathcore, but any song with a bass line is fine. It seems the band leaders have more trouble imagining an old guy doing this that I have in playing them!

1 minute ago, thebigyin said:

I don't mind been totally out of touch with todays music....its utter drivel.....bring back the 60s/70s when great music ruled the airways....long live Rock n Roll.

Like Clive Dunn, the New Seekers and the Singing Nun?

• Haha 2

There is good and bad in every era. I remember having to sit through hours of Matt Monroe, Alma Cogan and Mikki and Griff (look em up!!) on TV and radio shows so I could get to Joe Cocker, Johnny Kidd and the Kingsmen etc.

Awhile ago I was asked to play a Jesse Jay song. What a great dance tune. Then Joy and Pain by Maze. I'd never heard of them, but I liked playing that one. If anyone is playing or listening to "drivel" they should be making better choices. There are many great songs being written these days.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

There is good and bad in every era. I remember having to sit through hours of Matt Monroe, Alma Cogan and Mikki and Griff (look em up!!) on TV and radio shows so I could get to Joe Cocker, Johnny Kidd and the Kingsmen etc.

Awhile ago I was asked to play a Jesse Jay song. What a great dance tune. Then Joy and Pain by Maze. I'd never heard of them, but I liked playing that one. If anyone is playing or listening to "drivel" they should be making better choices. There are many great songs being written these days.

This. Completely!

6 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I wholly agree with the point you are making but with a caveat ...

Matt Munro was a great singer, a great British crooner, who had Sinatra as one of his fans. He's not bad, you maybe just don't like that kind of music.

18 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I couldn't agree more - and the great advantage that we have today is that we can skip past the "drivel" to the stuff we actually want to hear. The contents of the current UK Top 40 stopped bothering me as soon as realised that I could easily tune into radio stations and playlists which are pushing more interesting and challenging new music. There's really no excuse these days!

What's brilliant about the charts now is that it looks at streaming services like spotify and also youtube too - so it reflects what's actually being listened to and songs can go up, down and re-enter the charts. Bottom line, if you don't like what's in the charts, get online and listen to what you like!

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Well then why don't you go and listen to some of them?

People are posting up clips of new bands all the time - there's a thread full of them here, so there is absolutely no reason not to know about new music apart from your own inertia.

I'm still trying to catch up with the 18th and 19th centuries..! There are so many new (to me...) compositions to listen to and appreciate; it'll take several lifetimes to go through the whole back catalogue. There's very little 'dross', too (although Offenbach does cause me to grit my teeth somewhat...). I'd love to move on to the 20th century; maybe by skipping a few of the lesser-known works..? But then, I'd be missing so much splendid stuff. Music is being composed and played, worldwide, faster than any individual could possibly hope to catch it all. I'll just plough on at my own best pace, and enjoy the discoveries. Only the other day I listened to a Bruckner piece I came across. What a Master..!

• Like 1

On 03/01/2019 at 03:55, FinnDave said:

I see no reason why I should, I am perfectly happy with the music I play and listen to, I don't feel the need to 'keep up'.

I can't speak for Dave. However a lot of us old timers are biased. Guys like me, 65 , came into music in the early 70s the most prolific period for rock music in history. Nobody is making music of that caliber anymore. They're just not, sorry.

Old Man Blue

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I can't speak for Dave. However a lot of us old timers are biased. Guys like me, 65 , came into music in the early 70s the most prolific period for rock music in history. Nobody is making music of that caliber anymore. They're just not, sorry.

Old Man Blue

Yeah, i like that one that goes 'Yeah yeah yeah woo'.

They don't write them like that any more. . :D

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, operative451 said:

Yeah, i like that one that goes 'Yeah yeah yeah woo'.

They don't write them like that any more. . :D

They really don't. I hope to get a little support or empathy from my fellow seniors here on BC regarding my position.

Blue

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

...the early 70s the most prolific period for rock music in history. Nobody is making music of that caliber anymore. They're just not, sorry.

'Guitar music' - I'd agree with you.

But just as the electric guitar & bass were new-fangled instruments way back, computers, sequencers & samples & the like have been utilised to make music more recently, alongside 'traditional' band instruments.

Its not better music, its different.

There is some garbage about in 'new music', but there was always dodgy music about.

(I refer you respectfully to The Bay City Rollers et al *runs for cover wearing tin hat*).

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Old Man Blue

50 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

They really don't. I hope to get a little support or empathy from my fellow seniors here on BC regarding my position.

Blue

I'll be 67 on Sunday and I disagree.

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 02:34, grenadillabama said:

I am out of touch except I can find about one album a month. Recently I got Kirk Swan-Unloaded. Anyone remember the Boston band Dumptruck ? Back in Indie times I got tired of the 1960s bands. Now I like new bands with a 1960s sound !DSCN3091.thumb.JPG.af8ac2d04265c5a7d5ec5ec68d833aaa.JPG

I do, Absolutely Dumptruck still gets aired on my iBrick from time to time, with 'Back where I Belong' a particular favourite. What relation is the pictured album?