Why become a member? ×

Am i finally out of touch? ..are you?

Barking Spiders

There's an aggregator site-   www.albumofthe year.org - which has a list for 2018. I flipped through the top 200 and recognised only six names and that's because these  have been around for aeons e.g. Richard Thompson, Mariah Carey, Suede, Johnny Marr and The Breeders. Just wondering if anyone else here has seen it. Am I really (happily) out of touch now or are those mentioned the kind of obscure indie bands the NME used to fawn over?

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

There's an aggregator site-   www.albumofthe year.org - which has a list for 2018. I flipped through the top 200 and recognised only six names and that's because these  have been around for aeons e.g. Richard Thompson, Mariah Carey, Suede, Johnny Marr and The Breeders. Just wondering if anyone else here has seen it. Am I really (happily) out of touch now or are those mentioned the kind of obscure indie bands the NME used to fawn over?

I couldn't find your list of 200 but I don't understand why you would expect to be 'in touch' ... if you hadn't spent the year seeking out and listening to at least some new music.

Alternatively, you could say to yoursef, let's listen to some stuff from this list that I am not familiar with. Perhaps I'll even like some of it.

My method is to get my 25 year old son to do me a list every Christmas of newer bands/artists to listen to. Sometimes they are not so new. Here's some from his list this Xmas ...

Pastor T.L. Barrett

Makaya McCraven

Mick Jenkins

Sampa the Great

Sudan Archives

Oshun

Children of Zeus

Tirzah

Yves Tumor

Neneh Cherry

GAIKA

Eli Keszler

Khruangbin

... I hadn't heard of any of them, except Neneh Cherry,  but I am working on it now.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I'm so far out of touch that I've given up asking who people are on threads like the ones referenced above. I reckon I've never heard of at least 90% of the performers discussed on this forum.

Well then why don't you go and listen to some of them?

People are posting up clips of new bands all the time - there's a thread full of them here, so there is absolutely no reason not to know about new music apart from your own inertia.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I'd have only got 5. Never heard of the Breeders. So I'm even more out of touch, thank Gawd.

I only know about The Breeders because they feature Kim Deal who was the original bassist in The Pixies who I used to a tad partial to back in the day.

I was originally wondering if any of the albums listed went mainstream in 2018 or are they all 6Music type faves?

7 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Well then why don't you go and listen to some of them?

People are posting up clips of new bands all the time - there's a thread full of them here, so there is absolutely no reason not to know about new music apart from your own inertia.

I see no reason why I should, I am perfectly happy with the music I play and listen to, I don't feel the need to 'keep up'.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

Despite always saying otherwise, we've all turned into our Dads

Not quite - my dad was into Glenn Miller and Sibelius. I do enjoy a bit of Sibelius, but am never in the mood for Glenn Miller.

• Haha 1

As long as you're finding music that interests you, who cares what 'in touch' means ?

Leave keeping up with the trends to those who think it's important. Music doesn't have to be freshly minted to be a revelation.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 2